Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 5:13 pm

Does anyone know of a way to block autoplay audio/video with IE6? I hate those kind of things!

I'm definitely not changing my browser.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 10:20 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to block autoplay audio/video with IE6? I hate those kind of things!

I'd like to know this too. There's one on WP atm that's driving me crazy. :x

I have IE7, I'm not changing my browser, and I hate FireFox, so saying I should get FireFox and their ad blocker will not be helpful at all.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 10:34 pm

I think I found something useful.

Try Tools, then Internet Options and click on the Advanced tab. Under Multimedia, uncheck Play sounds in webpages.

I'll let you know if this works or if I run into any problems.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 3:16 am

MattShizzle wrote:

CelticRose wrote:
I have IE7, I'm not changing my browser, and I hate FireFox, so saying I should get FireFox and their ad blocker will not be helpful at all.

It's your funeral. Running IE is like having a giant "hack me" sign on your browser.

For the record, there are a number of alternatives if you don't like Firefox. There are themes for Firefox that make it look and feel like IE. And then there are a ton of other browsers. Opera is very nice and also fast and standards-compliant. The Safari 4 beta is quite attractive. Google Chrome is an interesting project. Then there's Seamonkey. Avant is based off of IE and incorporates some new features that could solve this problem, so that's a possibility.

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2009, 3:26 am

MattShizzle wrote:
IE6
[...]

*shiver*

If its just a fetish for the outdated, you might try Netscape... version 3, or so, should do it.

My non sarcastic answer is simply to agree with Orwell.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 6:47 am

I tried both firefox and IE7 and using both was beyond my technical ability. I deleted both.

eta one thing that works on this site is to hit the "stop" button as soon as the page loads up.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 8:43 am

I have Firefox 3.0.10 and have it so it looks like IE6. Using IE is like standing on the tracks and not expecting a train to come by - very fast...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 11:03 am

Orwell wrote:
Opera is very nice and also fast and standards-compliant

I'll have to stop you there. Opera is and was based on IE especially the rendering engine. While thier current version seem aright from development work I've done, opera does tend to have the same issues that IE has for obvious reasons. Plus earlier versions had ridiculous graphical errors that you wouldn’t believe, which has made it more a pain to developed for the IE.

They compliance credential aren't actually so holy. They way I would describe it is like so. If you think of a join up the dots drawing as what a browser team needs to work on. Opera focused on the dots (compliance) at the expense of joining up the dots. Compliance doesn't tell you how to join up the dots. Early opera did this very badly. I'm not talking about just being behind on things, which is forgivable.

In fact come to think of it I still noticed some odd graphical quirk in opera 9.5+

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 11:32 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Orwell wrote:

I'll have to stop you there. Opera is and was based on IE especially the rendering engine. While thier current version seem aright from development work I've done, opera does tend to have the same issues that IE has for obvious reasons. Plus earlier versions had ridiculous graphical errors that you wouldn’t believe, which has made it more a pain to developed for the IE.

They compliance credential aren't actually so holy. They way I would describe it is like so. If you think of a join up the dots drawing as what a browser team needs to work on. Opera focused on the dots (compliance) at the expense of joining up the dots. Compliance doesn't tell you how to join up the dots. Early opera did this very badly. I'm not talking about just being behind on things, which is forgivable.

In fact come to think of it I still noticed some odd graphical quirk in opera 9.5+

The Opera 10 alpha is disgustingly fast, and renders every website I've used it for flawlessly. They not only got it to pass Acid 3 (so far only Opera 10 alpha and Safari 4 beta have done this, to my knowledge) but they also made a focus of ensuring it worked on popular, demanding sites like Facebook, gmail, etc. Opera is definitely significantly more secure than IE, and it has a different rendering engine- Opera uses the Presto engine and IE uses Trident. I also love the tight, clean integration between browser and mail client that Opera has.

The only reason I haven't switched over to Opera entirely is because I've become addicted to certain Firefox add-ons. That, and it kind of looks funny in GNOME. Out of the box, Opera is definitely a better browser overall than Firefox.

GustavHolst
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2009, 12:18 pm

MattShizzle wrote:

what's autoplay? IE6 - what's that?

You could try Maxathon, it's supposed to be based on IE http://www.maxthon.com/

GustavHolst
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2009, 12:21 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Why do you have to stop anyone? The OP didn't ask a question about Opera or how crappy Opera was in the past.

All I notice is, you don't like Opera and you want to make sure people know.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 1:57 pm

Autoplay is any video or audio that plays on a website without you clicking on something to play it - often unwanted.

IE6 = Internet Explorer 6.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 2:24 pm

I thought Microsoft were no longer updating IE6 and had abandoned it to the hackers?

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2009, 2:43 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I thought Microsoft were no longer updating IE6 and had abandoned it to the hackers?

Indeed.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 2:55 pm

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Indeed.

So it is like handing your computer on a silver platter to every trojan, spyware and virus out there - despite whatever anti-virus and firewall the OP uses. I think I'm correct in saying that such defensive measures can be too little too late when the browser itself is the vulnerable factor in the equation as the nasties get in by leverage of the browser weaknesses. He will be relying on the AV software to clean up the computer after each infection. Hmmmm. I know the OP wants to stick with it for his own reasons, but I hope he doesn't use it for online banking or keep any confidential documents etc on the computer.

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2009, 3:05 pm

TallyMan wrote:
So it is like handing your computer on a silver platter to every trojan, spyware and virus out there - despite whatever anti-virus and firewall the OP uses. I think I'm correct in saying that such defensive measures can be too little too late when the browser itself is the vulnerable factor in the equation as the nasties get in by leverage of the browser weaknesses. He will be relying on the AV software to clean up the computer after each infection. Hmmmm. I know the OP wants to stick with it for his own reasons, but I hope he doesn't use it for online banking or keep any confidential documents etc on the computer.

Yay identity theft!

Did you know that the median infection time for a fresh install of Windows connected to the internet is measured in seconds?

Or that once your computer is compromised it can be used to carry out criminal attacks, like DDoSing government or corporate computers, hacking high-profile databases of personal information, or sending out spam?

No, no. Go on using IE6. Its the responsible thing to do.