22 Jan 2008, 8:10 pm

I guess from a OD.

Crystalmirror
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2008, 9:27 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
I guess from a OD.

That's what they're saying but nobody's sure yet whether it was intentional or accidental. Personally, I'm illin' about this. I remember when I first saw him in "Roar" way back when and thinking he was really cute. I liked him in "The Patriot," too, and I absolutely adored him in "A Knight's Tale." Didn't see "Brokeback Mountain," though.

Definitely gone too soon. :(

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2008, 9:44 pm

Going to be weird seeing him as The Joker in The Dark Knight this summer. Luckily they finished filming before this happened.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:34 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Going to be weird seeing him as The Joker in The Dark Knight this summer. Luckily they finished filming before this happened.

I was thinking about that too. It's always strange to see someone so young in a posthumous role. But yeah, I was surprised to hear about Heath. My boss was yelling in the hall, "hey, Heath Ledger died!" :roll: :(

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:43 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

Being the callous soul that I am, I was wondering about that initially when I heard.

Now, the only thing I can think is, "God, he was only 5 years older than me."

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

NewRotIck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 12:04 am

His death is going to make The Dark Knight a smash hit at the box office...

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 12:10 am

I think the role of The Joker really did a number on him. He looks so much darker and scarier than even Jack Nicholson, who was a REALLY good Joker.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 2:05 am

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

Being the callous soul that I am, I was wondering about that initially when I heard.

Haha, me too. I'm still thinking that.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 2:13 am

Sad.
Another victim of Hollywood.
Marilyn Monroe, River Phoenix and a host of others
that had their dreams come true
and then had nothing else to do than get smashed alone in an apartment.
I was just thinking recently that i would like re view his first movie "Two Hands"
Now it will be pregnant with bittersweet enhui.
Rest in Peace Heath,fellow Aussie.
:cry:

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 2:47 am

i was blown away when i heard. i couldn't believe it. i'm not ashamed to say it, he was one of my favorite actors living today and after Brokeback and Dark Knight i thought he had real potential to be one of the best of his generation. it's such a shame it came to this.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:05 am

RIP HEATH LEDGER, a talented young man taken way before his time.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:18 am

This was total shock. I run a blog and constantly check Fark and the AP Wire for stories (I write about indie rock and general pop culture) and when I saw this I thought it was a total hoax. Then CNN picked up on it and the anchor seemed skeptical too. This was really, really sad. I just saw him in "I'm Not There" not even a month ago and he was OK in it. I really didn't pay much attention to Ledger in the movies he was in (he was alright in "The Brothers Grimm", which I saw only because Terry Gilliam directed it). And in the footage i've seen from The Dark Knight, he was playing the Joker as the malicious sociopath that he is in the original late '20's-early 30's Detective Comics. Now his portrayal is just really, really spooky. The promotional poster is just one big blow-up of Ledger's face as the Joker. Shame he died this young and so unexpectedly. I chose not to run a story about Ledger on my blog until this morning. The last time i was so shocked by an unexpected death was when Douglas Adams died.

BeyondInfinity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 1:03 pm

DocStrange wrote:
he was playing the Joker as the malicious sociopath that he is in the original late '20's-early 30's Detective Comics.

sorry to be anal rententive about details, but...

Batman first appeared in Dectective Comics 29 in 1939. the Batman Comic book starting in 1940, and the Joker first appeared in Batman #1. Ledger was only given two comic books to read for his role: Alan Moore's The Killing Joke and Grant Morisson's Arkham Asylum.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:36 pm

DocStrange wrote:
I write about indie rock and general pop culture

Hi Doc, just saw your blog :)
Any recommendations for someone that loves CSS, Klaxons, Air, Ladytron and Soda Stereo?

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 6:35 pm

BeyondInfinity wrote:
DocStrange wrote:
he was playing the Joker as the malicious sociopath that he is in the original late '20's-early 30's Detective Comics.

sorry to be anal rententive about details, but...

Batman first appeared in Dectective Comics 29 in 1939. the Batman Comic book starting in 1940, and the Joker first appeared in Batman #1. Ledger was only given two comic books to read for his role: Alan Moore's The Killing Joke and Grant Morisson's Arkham Asylum.

Actually Batman first appeared in Detective Comic # 27.

And director Chris Nolan has stated he went back to the Joker's original two stories in Batman # 1 and used it as inspiration.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2008, 6:42 pm

"The creator and writer of the series, John Rapsey, said it was clear even then that Ledger, then a 16-year-old sports champion and high school dropout, possessed an unusual talent.

"He himself had absolutely no problem playing the role. He handled all of that with great aplomb," Rapsey told AFP.

"What was noticeable about him was he was concentrated, very quiet, and you could see that he was really observant of other people.""(-observant of details/quiet...concentrated/passion)

Did he have aspergers?

signs -
-antisocial
-Recently being called an artist on tv etc... and John travolta called him his favourite actor
-Played differeing roles.
-took anxiety and sleep medication...

hmmm just thinking aloud... i wonder if he has speech problems when younger... lol.....
Yea just suggesting havent done HUGE research on it.. EH.