Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 3:53 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Enders Game! duh all about kids but not made for kids (kinda like Narnia but a bit darker) though it is scifi not fantasy. Seriosuly it took me like a week to finish it and I was also busy reading the stupid school books.

Enders Game is a great book. I've read the whole series well all that I could find. Have you read the books that followed the first?

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2006, 2:11 am

TigerFire wrote:
Enders Game is a great book. I've read the whole series well all that I could find. Have you read the books that followed the first?

The second series is not as consitently good as the first, the third and fourth books should have been combined into one much tighter book rather than whittering on as they did. But I loved the concept of the first one in the second series, re-writing Ender's Game from the perspective of Bean. Brilliant.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 9:32 am

CuriousPrimate wrote:
TigerFire wrote:

The second series is not as consitently good as the first, the third and fourth books should have been combined into one much tighter book rather than whittering on as they did. But I loved the concept of the first one in the second series, re-writing Ender's Game from the perspective of Bean. Brilliant.

Yeah it is. I just hadn't read that yet. Is a good reading?

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2006, 11:59 am

TigerFire wrote:
Is a good reading?

I would recommend the first one, Enger's Shadow. The rest are worth a read if you are very passionate about his stuff.

Have you read Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series? If you liked Ender's Game you'll probably like these too.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 1:03 pm

CuriousPrimate wrote:
TigerFire wrote:
Is a good reading?

I would recommend the first one, Enger's Shadow. The rest are worth a read if you are very passionate about his stuff.

Have you read Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series? If you liked Ender's Game you'll probably like these too.

I actually have never heard of it. What's it about?

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2006, 12:54 am

TigerFire wrote:
I actually have never heard of it. What's it about?

I'd start with The Warrior's Apprentice, which isn't the first book in the series, but is the first book about Miles (the previous two are about how his folks got together, and there is a third book set much earlier in the timeline).

Miles is the only son of Vor noble from the planet Barrayan, Aral Vorkosigan, and Cordelia Naismith from the Beta Colony. In the book, Miles, who has stunted growth and brittle bones form a poison gas attack on his parents (see earlier books, Shards of Honor and Barrayar), failes to get into officer training at the military academy on his homeworld.

Having failed to get into the academy, Miles sets off to Beta Colony for a break, and starts upon a series of adventures which ends up with him leading a mercenary space fleet.

The book is a helter-skelter ride, with Miles rushing headlong into new, and very awkward, situations which he needs to use his wits to escape.

It is an excellent read, and the good news is that the rest of the series is up to the same level of writing and fun.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2006, 8:14 am

Yeah, Ender's Game rocks! Who is everyone's favorite character? Peter! The Ender series were all great, but the Shadow series absolutely sucked! First OSC attributes Ender's defeating the buggers to Bean, and secondly he makes Peter sound like an absolute idiot when he is anything but. He spent way too much time glorifying Bean and the other Battle School graduates. Peter and Ender were comparatively equal as far as talent and intelligence, and Ender kicked the other Battle School children. Yet OSC depicts Peter as being lesser than the other children. Perhaps Bean is more intelligent, but OSC also basically ignores what is the key abilities of the Wiggin children: the ability to read people and manipulate them. For that reason, he absolutely belittles Peter until the final book of the Shadow series, where he finally begins depicting Peter as a master planner and manipulator. Even Maser Rackham gives him kudos. He knows Peter's abilities, and the impression that OSC creates is that Peter's appearing stupidity is merely an act and that he is manipulating events more than we are seeing. Yay Peter!!

Zac
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2006, 8:51 am

I recommend It Came From Beneath The Sink by R. L. Stine. It's bone-chilling. All Goosebumps books are freakily awesome, tho'.

afortiori
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2006, 8:57 am

Zac wrote:
I recommend It Came From Beneath The Sink by R. L. Stine. It's bone-chilling. All Goosebumps books are freakily awesome, tho'.

:arrow: I'm more of a Point Horror fan myself.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2006, 10:59 am

I'd like to recommend the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. (Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows).
It has a really complicated, unpredictable plot concerning a series of minor events that end up dividing a huge kingdom into five factions eager to claim the throne for themselves.
There are a lot of loose plot threads throughout the books (for the first two or three books, you wonder what the hell the young Queen Daenerys is doing in the book until you realize exactly where she and her narrative thread tie up with the rest of the story), but each is intriguing, and the way they tie u is even more intriguing.
The series has all kinds of interesting characters like Tyrion, the bitter, sarcastic dwarf, the kind but adventurous young Jon Snow, the cocky Jaime and his lover/sister the cruel Queen Cersei, whose kingdom is crumbling under her reign.
The reader will obviously hate some of the characters, obviously love other characters, and in some cases, have mixed feelings.
One of the best things about these books in my opinion, is that Martin isn't squeamish about killing off characters. A lot of characters we really hate die or suffer horrible fates, but then so do a lot of the characters we like.
But the very best thing about this series is that it's thought-provoking. It makes us think about leadership- what makes a good leader and what makes a bad leader.
I'd give this series five out of five stars.
Just be warned a lot of the content in the books is at an R rating, sometimes even going so far as to slip into NC-17 range, as it contains a lot of violence and graphic sexual content.

Serendipity
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2006, 4:56 pm

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick :D I just finished reading it awhile ago. It is what the movie Blade Runner was based on.