Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 3:15 am

I used to discuss these things on the Toonzone Forum, but after officially now losing whatever taste I had remaining for the Fox Sunday Night shows, I'm pretty much never there anymore...except for South Park discussion, and occasionally other stuff.

Anyway, I've lost my love of Simpsons quite a while ago, but I'd always read up on there about the latest episode, just because I wanted to hear if it'd improved any; so far, not really.

However, one episode that recently aired sounded halfway acceptable, and like it was really funny, so I hit it up on Youtube. The episode was called "Bart Gets a Z"; I don't know how many of you have seen it.

I came to realize one of the biggest problems the show has at this point: the humor is extremely dated.

I'm not saying they don't try to keep it fresh, but...it's like they just can't. The Simpsons, IMO, was made for another era entirely, and it was considered pretty edgy for that era.

The episode was loaded over with jokes about texting, I think I heard one about MySpace or something and...it just didn't work. The whole thing felt almost embarrassing.

It was like say.....if Bob Newhart were to try to do Dennis Miller's jokes. Or if Bill Cosby were to attempt to emulate half the lame black stand-up comedians.

For another example...it almost felt like an old man trying to do jokes about modern pop culture. Steve Allen may've been able to pull it off 60 years ago regarding Rock & Roll...but the writers of the Simpsons are not as talented as he was...

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2009, 10:46 am

I stopped watching, god it must be a good number of years ago now, possibly 8 or 10. The quality dropped a long time ago, I think. I didn't bother with the film and don't want to see it.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 3:33 pm

I used to really love The Simpsons, but I've grown out of it as well. After collecting the DVD box sets, I was able to determine exactly when the show went down hill (to me it was seasons 10 and 11), and after that, I've stop collecting the DVDs (what's the point if I don't like the show anymore?). I did see the movie, and it was a lot better than I expected it to be, but not good enough to make the whole show better. Ah well, at least I have the older episodes.

Amadeus
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2009, 6:11 pm

For me, yes. The Simpsons has had its run. Watching the old, nay, classic, seasons of the Simpsons this Christmas I found I had more laughs and enjoyed watching them over the newest stuff. Homer; my biggest reason for being put off the show, they’ve just made him into Peter Griffin!

Family Guy works like that because; Peter has always been an idiot.

Homer during the early Simpsons, yes maybe he was stupid at times but he could show a decent amount of intelligence to even it out.

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2009, 11:50 pm

I don't know if it's because it is dated. The first seasons are quite old but still funny and good if you go back and watch them. I don't like most episodes past season 8 or so. There are a few but not many.

I still occasionally watch but not often. I think I have seen maybe two or three episodes out the last two seasons. I have the others queued on the PVR but who knows when I will get to them.

Favorite episode is King-Size Homer from season 7. Other favorites are The Monkey's Paw from Treehouse of Horror II and The Devil and Homer Simpson from Treehouse of Horror IV ("Mmmmm, forbidden donut").

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 11:59 pm

I still think it's as good as it's ever been.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 12:00 am

coded wrote:
I don't know if it's because it is dated. The first seasons are quite old but still funny and good if you go back and watch them. I don't like most episodes past season 8 or so. There are a few but not many.

I still occasionally watch but not often. I think I have seen maybe two or three episodes out the last two seasons. I have the others queued on the PVR but who knows when I will get to them.

Favorite episode is King-Size Homer from season 7. Other favorites are The Monkey's Paw from Treehouse of Horror II and The Devil and Homer Simpson from Treehouse of Horror IV ("Mmmmm, forbidden donut").

it doesn't matter that the first few seasons are quite old, because it was edgy for that time. The problem Simpsons runs into now is that it's still trying to be funny in that same fashion 20 years later, when it's no longer edgy; and they're resorting now to little more than pointless plots, and throwing in jokes about modern pop culture..which just fall flat because--again--the comedy was meant for a different era entirely, and is just pretty much running on fumes now.

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2009, 12:26 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
it doesn't matter that the first few seasons are quite old, because it was edgy for that time. The problem Simpsons runs into now is that it's still trying to be funny in that same fashion 20 years later, when it's no longer edgy; and they're resorting now to little more than pointless plots, and throwing in jokes about modern pop culture..which just fall flat because--again--the comedy was meant for a different era entirely, and is just pretty much running on fumes now.

If it was just the style then the old episodes wouldn't still be funny. The problem is that the current episodes don't even have the style of the old ones. They might be trying to do the style of the old episodes but they're failing at it and that's why it's not funny. Plus it has become sterilized like what Lucas did to Star Wars (Han can't just shoot someone in cold blood!) because of its popularity.

As you suggest, it's on autopilot nowadays, pulling in whatever money they can get without having to do any work. Probably no one involved with the production cares about the show any more, the people that did have moved on.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 12:34 am

coded wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

If it was just the style then the old episodes wouldn't still be funny. The problem is that the current episodes don't even have the style of the old ones. They might be trying to do the style of the old episodes but they're failing at it and that's why it's not funny.

As you suggest, it's on autopilot nowadays, pulling in whatever money they can get without having to do any work. Probably no one involved with the production cares about the show any more, the people that did have moved on.

Ya really think so?

I will confess...I thought the movie was really, really good...cause it had all the original writers doing it.

You may actually have a good point that it's trying to be like the old ones, and failing miserably.

It's one of those things I think would work, now, if it were just aired as some specials here and there, but since they insist on just keeping it going "on autopilot", like you say, that's really killing it.

The thing about the older seasons is that I actually don't find them as funny as I used to; but I don't fault the show for that, I fault the fact that my tastes have changed. Regardless, I still find a certain charm to the old episodes that I no longer see at all with the new stuff.

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2009, 12:39 am

I agree that the movie was pretty good. You could tell they actually put work into it. I didn't know it was the original writers but that makes sense now.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 8:40 pm

I liked the movie.

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 5:59 pm

I love the simpsons! But I alos like south park, family guy, and probably any other animated comedys....

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 3:14 am

^^^ Seconded. They are so important to me that I require anyone I date to like them as well.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 7:08 am

I think there was a change in the production staff around seasons 10-11 sometime and what the writers themselves described as 'Homer the Jerk' phase where basically Homer, for no particular reason, would be intolerant and rude - Homer's Phobia comes to mind. Whilst there were a few gems at this time, this is where the writers themselves admitted they made an error in judgment that they couldn't undo. They eventually went out of the phase but not without damaging having been done.

These are my top 100 episodes:

1 Three Men and A Comic Book
2 Lemon of Troy
3 The Joy of Sect
4 Cape Feare
5 Homer the Vigilante
6 22 Short Films About Springfield
7 Homer the Great
8 Bart’s Comet
9 Homer Goes To College
10 The Springfield Files
11 Rosebud
12 Treehouse of Horror IV
13 Deep Space Homer
14 Marge vs the Monorail
15 A Star Is Burns
16 Boy Scoutz N The Hood
17 Homer vs Lisa and the 8th Commandment
18 Bart The Daredevil
19 Saturdays of Thunder
20 Bart The General
21 Whacking Day
22 The Curse of the Flying Hellfish
23 Beyond Blunderdome
24 Treehouse of Horror V
25 Behind The Laughter
26 Homer At The Bat
27 A Fish Called Selma
28 Radioactive Man
29 The Front
30 Who Shot Mr Burns Part I & II
31 Bart of Darkness
32 Treehouse of Horror III
33 The Computer Wore Menace Shoes
34 Radio Bart
35 Bart Sells His Soul
36 A Streetcar Named Marge
37 Bart vs Australia
38 Flaming Moe’s
39 $pringfield
40 Homer’s Enemy
41 They Saved Lisa’s Brain
42 Viva Ned Flanders
43 You Only Move Twice
44 Homer Badman
45 King of the Hill
46 Homie The Clown
47 Two Bad Neighbors
48 I Love Lisa
49 Last Exit to Springfield
50 Lisa the Skeptic
51 Mountain of Madness
52 Duffless
53 Krusty Gets Kancelled
54 The Last Temptation of Homer
55 Supercalifragilisticexpiala d’oh cious
56 The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular
57 Burns Baby Burns
58 Much Apu About Nothing
59 Some Enchanted Evening
60 The Itchie And Scratchy And Poochie Show
61 One Fish, Two Fish, Blow Fish, Bluefish
62 Itchy And Scratchy: The Movie
63 Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo
64 Bart on the Road
65 Homer vs The 18th Ammendment
66 King Size Homer
67 Mr Lisa Goes To Washington
68 Lisa’s Rival
69 Homer The Heretic
70 Simpson Tide
71 Treehouse of Horror VII
72 Hurricane Neddy
73 Itchy & Scratchy Land
74 Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
75 Treehouse of Horror VI
76 Oh Brother Where Art Thou
77 Homerpalooza
78 The City of New York vs Homer Simpson
79 Kamp Krusty
80 Sideshow Bob Roberts
81 Bart The Genius
82 Life On The Fast Lane
83 Mr Plow
84 Bart Carny
85 The Mysterious Voyage of Homer
86 Lisa’s Substitute
87 The President Wore Pearls
88 Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes
89 A Tale of Two Springfields
90 Das Bus
91 Guess Who’s Coming To Criticise Dinner
92 Treehouse of Horror VIII
93 Brother From Another Series
94 The Cartridge Family
95 Simpson and Delilah
96 Natural Born Kissers
97 Stark Raving Dad
98 Sideshow Bob’s Last Gleaming
99 Homer’s Barbershop Quartet
100 Missionary: Impossible

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 8:21 am

mjs82 wrote:
I think there was a change in the production staff around seasons 10-11 sometime and what the writers themselves described as 'Homer the Jerk' phase where basically Homer, for no particular reason, would be intolerant and rude - Homer's Phobia comes to mind. Whilst there were a few gems at this time, this is where the writers themselves admitted they made an error in judgment that they couldn't undo. They eventually went out of the phase but not without damaging having been done.

These are my top 100 episodes:

1 Three Men and A Comic Book
2 Lemon of Troy
3 The Joy of Sect
4 Cape Feare
5 Homer the Vigilante
6 22 Short Films About Springfield
7 Homer the Great
8 Bart’s Comet
9 Homer Goes To College
10 The Springfield Files
11 Rosebud
12 Treehouse of Horror IV
13 Deep Space Homer
14 Marge vs the Monorail
15 A Star Is Burns
16 Boy Scoutz N The Hood
17 Homer vs Lisa and the 8th Commandment
18 Bart The Daredevil
19 Saturdays of Thunder
20 Bart The General
21 Whacking Day
22 The Curse of the Flying Hellfish
23 Beyond Blunderdome
24 Treehouse of Horror V
25 Behind The Laughter
26 Homer At The Bat
27 A Fish Called Selma
28 Radioactive Man
29 The Front
30 Who Shot Mr Burns Part I & II
31 Bart of Darkness
32 Treehouse of Horror III
33 The Computer Wore Menace Shoes
34 Radio Bart
35 Bart Sells His Soul
36 A Streetcar Named Marge
37 Bart vs Australia
38 Flaming Moe’s
39 $pringfield
40 Homer’s Enemy
41 They Saved Lisa’s Brain
42 Viva Ned Flanders
43 You Only Move Twice
44 Homer Badman
45 King of the Hill
46 Homie The Clown
47 Two Bad Neighbors
48 I Love Lisa
49 Last Exit to Springfield
50 Lisa the Skeptic
51 Mountain of Madness
52 Duffless
53 Krusty Gets Kancelled
54 The Last Temptation of Homer
55 Supercalifragilisticexpiala d’oh cious
56 The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular
57 Burns Baby Burns
58 Much Apu About Nothing
59 Some Enchanted Evening
60 The Itchie And Scratchy And Poochie Show
61 One Fish, Two Fish, Blow Fish, Bluefish
62 Itchy And Scratchy: The Movie
63 Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo
64 Bart on the Road
65 Homer vs The 18th Ammendment
66 King Size Homer
67 Mr Lisa Goes To Washington
68 Lisa’s Rival
69 Homer The Heretic
70 Simpson Tide
71 Treehouse of Horror VII
72 Hurricane Neddy
73 Itchy & Scratchy Land
74 Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
75 Treehouse of Horror VI
76 Oh Brother Where Art Thou
77 Homerpalooza
78 The City of New York vs Homer Simpson
79 Kamp Krusty
80 Sideshow Bob Roberts
81 Bart The Genius
82 Life On The Fast Lane
83 Mr Plow
84 Bart Carny
85 The Mysterious Voyage of Homer
86 Lisa’s Substitute
87 The President Wore Pearls
88 Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes
89 A Tale of Two Springfields
90 Das Bus
91 Guess Who’s Coming To Criticise Dinner
92 Treehouse of Horror VIII
93 Brother From Another Series
94 The Cartridge Family
95 Simpson and Delilah
96 Natural Born Kissers
97 Stark Raving Dad
98 Sideshow Bob’s Last Gleaming
99 Homer’s Barbershop Quartet
100 Missionary: Impossible

That list I agree with,

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 10:16 am

While I must admit that most of the new episodes are not as funny as the old ones, The Simpsons still remains my 2nd favourite TV Show. :) And to me, almost all of the old episodes remain classics. :D

Seasons 1-10 = These are probably my favourite seasons, and in my opinion the funniest
Seasons 11-12 = Still quite as good, they are also funny
Seasons 13-15 = They have a number of classic episodes, but not as many
Seasons 16-20 = I still like these, but a lot of these episodes are nowhere near as funny in my opinion

SpongeBobRocksMao!