Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2009, 8:36 am

You should all check out the BBC productions 'The War Game,' and 'Threads.' Both are rather grim and brutal depictions of the Cold War going nuclear. Threads takes the cake, though. It is flat out the most bleak piece of fiction I've ever seen.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 10:15 am

DNForrest wrote:
My absolute favorite movies involve the systematic destruction of mankind, especially when they're done well. I like the dark tones and the true nature that it exposes in people. No BS metaphorical masks that they always wear in normal society, but their true selves.

Humans are social animals. Their social selves are their true selves. Whenever conditions permit, people organize into extended families, tribes and communities.

ruveyn

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2009, 12:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
DNForrest wrote:
My absolute favorite movies involve the systematic destruction of mankind, especially when they're done well. I like the dark tones and the true nature that it exposes in people. No BS metaphorical masks that they always wear in normal society, but their true selves.

Humans are social animals. Their social selves are their true selves. Whenever conditions permit, people organize into extended families, tribes and communities.

ruveyn

Not quite true. While it is true that we are social creatures, there is a LOT of things that we don't say/do, because of it being deemed weird or taboo. People are animals but often restrain themselves from acting like so. In post apocalyptic scenarios a persons character is truly tested. Does the strong blonde attractive male risk his own neck to save someone, or does he flee like the coward he is? Can they handle the challenges of adapting to a new and dangerous environment? Or will the darker side of them be revealed? Such scenarios bring out a persons "true" character, NOT the charade they wear in public.

FeralAspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Dec 2009, 6:29 pm

HAL_9000 wrote:
You should all check out the BBC productions 'The War Game,' and 'Threads.' Both are rather grim and brutal depictions of the Cold War going nuclear. Threads takes the cake, though. It is flat out the most bleak piece of fiction I've ever seen.

Threads - I had forgotten what it was called.

Anyway - when that came out in 1984 - here in Australia it aired on prime time on multiple TV stations simultaneously with no advertisements (it was seen as nationally important). That was the era that entrenched my love of the PA.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 10:21 pm

I liked Mach Rider (a very old NES game).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 12:26 am

Dies the fire is waay past a Trilogy (but good fun nonetheless) That's the one I mentioned about 'a Meeting at Corvallis', 'The Scourge of God', latest one is 'Sword of the Lady'.

...wherever overpriced books are sold...;)

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 12:43 am

Children of Men is the best post apocalyptic film I've seen.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 12:45 am

The Road is a post apocalyptic movie that's in some theaters now. For some reason all theaters (at least around here) aren't showing it. Although it's not specifically mentioned how the Apocalypse comes about it seems to have been a natural disaster that results in a lot of earthquakes and a long endless winter. An asteroid strike is what came to mind for me, anyway.
The story is about a man and his son hiking their way toward the Atlantic ocean with the intent of going south from there to find possibly warmer weather and a better life.
The sky is always gray, the land and civilization are in ruins, and there is of course famine.
They have to avoid gangs of cannibals and scavenge for food and things they need. They only have one old revolver with a few rounds of ammo for protection and to kill themselves with to avoid falling in the hands of the cannibals if it comes to that. No acts of cannibalism are shown but is evident that this is taking place a lot.

I won't spoil it by going into too many details, though.

If you're into this kind of movie or just haven't seen a movie worth watching recently I would say that it's a must see.

It's a very convincing movie that makes you think abut what it would be like.
I'm planing on seeing it again.

Check out the IMDB details and trailer below;

The Road at IMDB

The Road trailer

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2009, 1:16 am

It must be a popular idea with lots of people because they keep making films about it.

I loved Damnation Alley as a kid. Haven't seen it since then so maybe it would be cheesy to me now. Of course the Mad Max and similar movies are still favorites.

Zombieland is another recent one.

I mean who wouldn't like to have real freedom to run around and do whatever. To go out into the city with no people sounds good to me (I already try to shop and go to places when I think the least number of people will be there). Movies like I Am Legend make it seem a lot more lonely and creepy though.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 8:07 am

Mike777 wrote:
Are there any fans of Mad Max, The Postman, The Day After, Threads, etc.?
Tell me how did you become a fan of the genre and what movies/games/books do you like the most.
Personally, I've became interested in PA after playing first Fallout games somewhere in the late 90s. I find it fascinating to see how a globar war may break out and how would mankind deal with it and its aftermath. Well, I hope we won't end up like this.

It's weird, as I've watched all 6 of these films in the past two weeks as research. PA films are typically warning films - here's what things will be like if you don't do anything about X. Science fiction is probably the most intellectual genre and PA is the most intellectual subset of that.

TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2010, 1:37 pm

alot of them are jsut getting abit plain like 2012 and so on but i did like i am legend and the story line for fallout3 was good aswell but then again there abit different in the sense that the apocolypse has already happened

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 1:48 pm

ruveyn wrote:

... and/or when circumstances demand?

George Orwell's "1984" was printed in 1950, the year I was born, and the essence of its contents appear to have arrived during my lifetime.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 2:39 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I guess I enjoy some post-apocolyptic stuff. An anime I finished recently which is set post apocolyptic, called Gurren Lagann I have quite enjoyed, but they have been for it's other themes and probably simular story with The Matrix movies.

Gurren Lagann isn't post-apocalyptic (technically it is :lol:). It's just an example of how bad-ass humanity is with throwing galaxies and all