Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 7:29 am

I am on a serious money binge and cannot seem to stop, even when my bank account goes over.. I always feel like I need to please friends or do something for them, or make them happy, when I don't even know what the hell it is anymore that I actually like compared to what I am doing for them?
Example: Trailer Park Boys- funny show, but want to BUY THEM all, to show others or be like look at me, Doctor Who- have every doctor who episode on dvd- cartoons-0 thundercats he-man, a-team, why why- and when i try to find a way to help myself then that is on the money route from shamanism to meditation to special help techniques .. rrrrrrrrr..
OVERWHELMING

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:40 am

I know exactly how you feel. Get netflix though. It's free for two weeks, then costs only 8 dollars a month.

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 8:03 am

really? :) thanks ferdinand :D actually my friends tell me to do that but its so slow out here, have a pantry of over 400-500 a=z dvds and ...... r.......... never watch! But ur right. netflix without xbox live, and just netflix could be a great idea.. but then id want to share it with everyone and then i wouldn't be able to return it till everyone seen it that i thought would want too :(

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 11:32 am

I know how you feel - if I even remotely like a movie, I've got to have it on DVD (or buy it from iTunes). It's really annoying, because I end up losing interest in them really fast, and then I'm stuck with an entire collection of movies I don't watch. If I only owned the movies I actually watch, I'd only have about 10 instead of like 50.

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 12:11 pm

It's crazy rose, its seriously over 400 movies and counting and for music- i love death/black metal and other metal/ electronic myself i have tons of them from all around the world! Netflix is a good solution as ferdinand suggested , but then how to part with everything else!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 12:54 pm

One idea is to spend money on things you need before you can spend it on things you do not need.

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 1:02 pm

thanks Ichinin so the idea is once i spend the $ on the things i do need and somehow find gratification with it, even though it will be tempting, I know i cannot afford the other material stuff, so it cancels it out somehow in the mind.. and then I should EVENTUALLY with practice be fine?

ED-209
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2010, 10:44 pm

I know how you feel.....I've got tons of dvds.

I've learned to control it a bit tho.....and I have rules. Luckily, my tastes are pretty obscure so this may not work for everyone.....

1) Buy only things YOU LOVE! Not what your friends like....it's not a competition. And if your friends only hang with you to watch the dvds you overspend on they are not your friends.

2) Forget about sharing your favorite movies and TV shows with people. I don't mean to sound harsh but I've learned it just seems to annoy people. If someone is into the same thing, maybe you can share favorites and such, but don't push it.

5) Come to grips that you can't own it all. Chose 1 or 2 of your favorites and SLOWLY built your collection, bargain hunt, shop used and ask for them as birthday and holiday gifts.

3) Never buy "newly released" mainstream/studio dvd/blu-ray products. That same product will be cheaper in the future or available "on demand". Look how many dvds are $5 at Wal-mart. Prices always drop. Now, niche titles are trickier as many small dvd companies go out of business or titles go out of print. So spend your money wisely!

4) Netflix! Great solution. The streaming option is really cool too.

Hope this helps........

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 6:29 am

eh, if you like something and can afford it, buy it.

i've got thousands of dvd's. but no sports cars. why? i like movies, not stupid sports cars.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 7:54 am

ED-209 wrote:

I've learned to control it a bit tho.....and I have rules. Luckily, my tastes are pretty obscure so this may not work for everyone.....

1) Buy only things YOU LOVE! Not what your friends like....it's not a competition. And if your friends only hang with you to watch the dvds you overspend on they are not your friends.

2) Forget about sharing your favorite movies and TV shows with people. I don't mean to sound harsh but I've learned it just seems to annoy people. If someone is into the same thing, maybe you can share favorites and such, but don't push it.

5) Come to grips that you can't own it all. Choose 1 or 2 of your favorites and SLOWLY built your collection, bargain hunt, shop used and ask for them as birthday and holiday gifts.

3) Never buy "newly released" mainstream/studio dvd/blu-ray products. That same product will be cheaper in the future or available "on demand". Look how many dvds are $5 at Wal-mart. Prices always drop. Now, niche titles are trickier as many small dvd companies go out of business or titles go out of print. So spend your money wisely!

Hope this helps........

Sounds like good rules. I love getting DVD's myself but I don't normally go overboard. I usually wait a while and then spend only up to a certain amount. Set yourself a budget. If you want items that go over it then wait a while before you buy them. I also don't buy newly released DVD's. If you shop around, you'll find that at certain times of the year you can get like 5 DVD's for a fraction of the price. Supermarkets sometimes sell off a load for cheap.:)
I don't think having a load of DVD's always impresses people. Maybe if you have a really special collection...Besides you should only buy them if you're actually going to watch them. Otherwise it's complete waste of money. In fact you could sell the ones you don't watch.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2010, 8:37 am

Wow it is great others think like me but I had some problems with the rules in wrong planet, my own fault, misinterpreted some things life sucks, I'm not perfect, 2nd day on cymbalta waiting approvement on Vyanesse , having problems but trying to eat saltine crackers and sips of water..
well with 400-500 dvds in the pantry and now 30 blu-ray and over 50 360 games , not to mention vhs tapes i try to sell, it is crazy..
maybe these meds will help me really control it..
but even as we speak the new doctor who rr uk rrr.. i couldn't resist
or fringe or castle, or fourth kind looked cool too or stuff under $2.00 on amazon
for books aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
buy only the things i love that is tough too because I never really know what it is that i Love, and what my friends conditioned me to love..
it is seriously hard to do
netflix is great but what about everything else i have
i use gamefly for 360 games then when i am playing them i get deals to buy the same games used for under ten dollars :(
its a challenge...

ED-209 wrote:

5) Come to grips that you can't own it all. Chose 1 or 2 of your favorites and SLOWLY built your collection, bargain hunt, shop used and ask for them as birthday and holiday gifts.

Hope this helps........