Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

number5
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 2:53 pm

BasilofBakerStreet wrote:
Secret of NIMH

One of my favorites!

I'll add Freddy Got Fingered. I think it only got 1 star, but I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 10:09 pm

I LOVE Roxanne with Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah.It's hilarious,as well as very tender, you see a lot of how people function and behave in it.
this scene... :lol: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELcS2kt664[/youtube]
and The Nun's Story...Audrey Hepburn is terribly underrated,this is her most masterful part in my opinion.Robbed of an Academy Award!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2X3YMmnods[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 4:00 am

The Slayer - One of the scariest, but least known of horror movies I've ever seen.

Highwaymen - Another forgotten great horror flick. And made by Erick Red of The Hitcher fame, too!

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - The remake, actually; remastered with modern actors against a green screen put in place of the original German actors - with sound to boot!

Bartleby - Starring Crispin Glover, one of the most underrated great actors.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2010, 7:46 am

A second vote for Moon, that movie is just sublime, beautifully directed, acted and written.

Also, I wouldn't say that Withnail & I is underrated, at least not here in the UK where it's definitely seen as a classic.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:02 pm

Angel's Egg. It's an anime movie (but you couldn't really tell at first) with little to no dialouge, abstract symbolism, and a very unclear plot. I think you would like it, because I do (I can only find the first two parts without the computer locking up).

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 7:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Rocky wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
go tell the spartans
the adding machine
coogan's bluff
the flim-flam man
the shootist
hamburger hill
motel hell
saving your life
an american tale
planet of the apes
wired
citizen's band
convoy
rancho deluxe

I agree with several of these and your other list. I will have to check out the rest that I haven't seen! I was going to mention Silent Running when I read the thread topic. Here is an underrated movie:

The In-Laws (the original with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin)

"the inlaws" was a hoot. peter falk and alan arkin were a funny pair, a bit like a more brittle rowan and martin. anyways, you will find that "the adding machine" is very hard to find, and the version you will find is a poor multigenerational copy off of a tv station's telecine machine, and is barely viewable and listenable. but the essential transcendant nature of this picture still shines through. it is my favorite movie of all time. i am a sucker for anything about heaven.
"rancho deluxe" was a frustration, in that i got the unmistakeable impression that too much of it was left on the cutting room floor, which left it with story flow [continuity] problems. the coarse-grained high-sensitivity film they used filtered the natural beauty of the filming locations. the utterly unsympathetic amorality of the protagonists made me want to bathe in clorophyll afterwards. but it was an interesting story.
"the flim-flam man" is also hard to find in a viewable format. there are multiple versions out there recorded off of VHS/Beta, telecine, satellite dish. the satellite dish version is in widescreen and is in much better condition overall. anyways, this was g.c. scott's best comic performance of his whole career. he was a hoot and also very charismatic.
"the shootist" [old west slang for gunslinger/assassin] was john wayne's last film, and it was resonant in that both him and his character died of cancer. it had a black humor about it, in that due to the character's painful gut cancer, he had to carry a whorehouse pillow around with him to sit on. a very somber, dark film.
"an american tail" made me cry. very primal themes of separation and loss.
"saving your life" is another hereafter-themed movie that draws me in like a fisherman and pole reel fish in. another heavenly movie, "made in heaven," is a great movie to be viewed with friends, to be discussed afterwards.

I loved "Flim-flam Man." Laugh out loud funny. Right up there with "The In-laws." I saw "Rancho Deluxe" in a drive in theater and frankly, I don't remember much about it, but it was original (which is so rare) and the characters were memorable. Many people would be surprised to see how versatile Sam Waterston is as an actor. I got to see him play "Prospero" in the Tempest at Lincoln Center, NYC.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 7:05 pm

Incident at Loch Ness

Bubba Ho-Tep

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 8:57 pm

Green Card-it's so hilarious,so funny,so relative-millions of people trying to get green cards to the US every year...funniest scene
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0vyMuAkOYQ&feature=related[/youtube]

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 6:59 pm

Batman...
FOREVER!

Honestly, think. Tommy Lee Jones as TwoFace. The Riddler's 60s personality. AND THIS FILM HAS A PINBALL GAME BY SEGA.

You can't beat that.

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2010, 3:47 pm

The Iron Giant

The Secret of NIMH

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

Rezdis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2010, 6:49 pm

I agree with a lot of them Moon, Ed Wood, High Fidelity, but where is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 9:13 pm

1) Cashback
2) Land of the Blind
3) Dark City

Barely anyone knows any of these three movies, yet they're in my personal top 10.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 10:18 pm

1) The Fountain
2)Moon
3) Silent Running

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2011, 8:55 am

Be Kind Rewind