who do you choose?
Harry Potter 95%  95%  [ 95 ]
Twilight 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 100

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 10:46 pm

Harry Potter any day. First lets compare the plot.
Harry Potter was interesting, contained humor, and there wasn't the issue of running from "I love you but I'm too self-hating to give you ultimate power, instead I'll just bang you as an old lady" to "I want you to marry me and then I'll turn you into one of us". Edward was a horrible boyfriend, a stalker and selfish as far as I'm concerned. Harry was a nice guy who fought to save all his friends, no matter how battle-worn he became. Twilight Vampires are ultra-powerful and too hard to kill. Voldemort was hard to kill but nowhere near as hard in comparison, more realistic.

The movies.

The actors in Twilight portrayed the characters poorly, especially Edward as being the emotionless twit. By the end of Twilight I was nearly tearing my hair out (only reason I watched it was because my family bought it for $30). Never watched any sequels. Harry Potter I've seen all of and all have had interesting plots (except for number 7, that one was more focused on action but still high quality).

The Books.
With the exception of New Moon, Twilight was not a bad series. I enjoyed a lot of it but wouldn't read them again. Harry Potter was at least 10 times more interesting of course and had a captivating plot that, even though I'd seen the movies, made me want to read the books.

Love HP movies and books, like Twilight books and want to smash their movies beneath my foot and burn the pieces.

Last edited by Zeek on 06 Feb 2011, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 11:10 pm

Zeek wrote:
Harry Potter any day. First lets compare the plot.
Harry Potter was interesting, contained humor, and there wasn't the issue of running from "I love you but I'm too self-hating to give you ultimate power, instead I'll just bang you as an old lady" to "I want you to marry me and then I'll turn you into one of us". Edward was a horrible boyfriend, a stalker and selfish as far as I'm concerned. Harry was a nice guy who fought to save all his friends, no matter how battle-worn he became. Twilight Vampires are ultra-powerful and too hard to kill. Voldemort was hard to kill but nowhere near as hard in comparison, more realistic.

The movies.

The actors in Twilight portrayed the characters poorly, especially Edward as being the emotionless twit. By the end of Twilight I was nearly tearing my hair out (only reason I watched it was because my family bought it for $30). Never watched any sequels. Harry Potter I've seen all of and all have had interesting plots (except for number 7, that one was more focused on action but still high quality.

The Books.
With the exception of New Moon, Twilight was not a bad series. I enjoyed a lot of it but wouldn't read them again. Harry Potter was at least 10 times more interesting of course and had a captivating plot that, even though I'd seen the movies, made me want to read the books.

Love HP movies and books, like Twilight books and want to smash their movies beneath my foot and burn the pieces.

100% agreed Old Sport my favorite HP books are 6 and 7 though

scottmyers14
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2011, 9:55 pm

To me, Harry Potter is superior because its a great story, great characters, exciting, and suspenseful. Twilight isn't terrible, but the story is meh, characters are nothing new, and not original, so if you guys want to see great movies and books, then see and read Harry Potter.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 12:48 pm

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2011, 11:08 am

Harry Potter, no question!! (I have read all of the books in both series.) There were a few okay parts in Twilight ... but much much more than a few good parts in Harry Potter! I am not going to reiterate what everyone else has said, but reading this thread did make me think about how much Edward annoyed me - his actions towards Bella reminded me of a health class we had in 9th grade about recognizing abusive relationships!! And what has bothered me since, is that maybe, an emotionally vulnerable, fantasy-loving middle school Aspie girl (who has trouble making friends), could be particularly influenced by this series, and not realize that some of Edward's actions are NOT okay. (I am thinking about myself in middle school - I definitely would have liked this series more, had I read them then.)

On a lighter note, I found this - the guy is reviewing the entire Twilight series, chapter by chapter. At first, he starts out trying to be neutral, but as time goes on, finds that he ... well ... can't. It is hilarious!!

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 12:19 am

I am not a major fan of Harry Potter, but it is definitely superior to Twilight :roll:

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 4:07 am

First I thought Harry Potter to be a nice children book, but I didnt have much interest myself in it. I watched the first movie when it was on television and really like it, and began to see the others as well.

I had the same thoughts on twilight, but because of Harry Potter, I gave it a chance. -> Bad Choice. ^^ I have only seen the first movie, but I remember the first hour to be absolutely boring to me, because there is nothing happening except for the girl dreaming about her mysterious boy/glittering lover. ^^ Booooooooooooooooring. ^^

starrynightmare
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2013, 6:11 am

Quatermass wrote:
What the hell is this? This is BS. Twilight is nowhere near the same level as Harry Potter. And I have actually read the first Twilight book. Not that I am a major fan of Harry Potter, but seriously, they're poles apart in terms of quality.

I have also read the first Twilight book in an attempt to bond with my Twilight-loving mother. The writing could not compare with my childhood (and adulthood) love, Harry Potter.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 9:38 am

"Twilight" is "My Little Pony" for adolescent girls - they both feature "cute", sparkly, fantasy creatures.

I can't stand either program.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 2:11 pm

Simonono wrote:
How DARE they even compare the two. Harry Potter of course!! !

Exactly my feelings.

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2013, 12:54 am

Which would I choose? Well, if I was Grand Inquisitor, I'd definitely find Twilight more useful.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 3:54 am

Harry Potter is much better. I read all books more than one time and have seen all movies. The story is interesting and I like the characters. It is really exciting. In opposite to this Twilight is really boring and I even didn´t like the characters themselves as much as I do in Harry Potter.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

25 Mar 2013, 11:33 am

If I had a girl I would read her Harry potter to her every day so she may learn to be like 90% of the female characters.

If I had a boy I would read him twilight so he will know what not to do, know what girls are not worth his time or if he wants messed up salve girls to stand in the sun dumping glitter on him self.

Also the harry potter musical brings me to tears

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 1:31 am

I'm a pretty big fan of Harry Potter, whereas I couldn't even get through a chapter of Twilight. I'm no expert on literature but even I could tell it was terribly written.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 12:46 pm

I'm a major Harry Potter fan as well. Great to see it winning by a mile - there is hope for humanity yet (at least for aspies).

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2013, 9:47 am

I read and watched Harry Potter, went to the exhibition when it was in Singapore last year, and is an active member on Pottermore.

I read the beginning of Twilight in a Harry Potter characters read Twilight fanfic and didn't feel very interested to continue. I do read a bit about Twilight on TV Tropes and its wiki though.