Page 160 of 1289 [ 20613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 1289  Next

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 8:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Just a bit of a correction - while The Haunted Palace had had some connection to a Poe poem, the storyline had had more to do with H.P. Lovecraft's The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Yeah, I'm aware. (I talked about this when I reviewed The Haunted Palace in one of my "movie a day" topics.) I consider it more of a Poe movie than a Lovecraft movie, simply because tone is more important to me than plot, and while the plot comes from Lovecraft, the tone is more in keeping with the other Corman/Poe movies.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 8:41 pm

50/50 was a sad movie made me :cry:

Hanna was awesome it was about a superhuman girl with powers fighting the same organization who helped make her :)

Splice. A very interesting creature movie,

Feast. I am a huge fan of the Feast trilogy series.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 8:43 pm

Mozart and the whale

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm

Joker wrote:
Hanna was awesome it was about a superhuman girl with powers fighting the same organization who helped make her :)

Correction: She was only fighting the one woman who oversaw the project (Marissa, if you do not remember her name) she was a spawn of, not the entire CIA. She wanted to kill Hanna to eliminate all evidence of it.

**Spoilers below. Do not read further if you have not seen this film**

You also have to remember that Marissa murdered Hanna's mother, Johanna Zadek, many years earlier, so revenge played a part in the motive as well. But that wasn't all: Hanna wanted to go out into the world and live a normal life (as indicated when she tells Erik, her father, "Papa, I'm ready."), but Marissa stood in the way of that since she wanted them both dead. The film is also, in a sense, a modern-day fairytale (I've listened to the director's commentary on the DVD), hence the symbolism and archetypes (Hanna: The young heroine who sets out to prove herself and face her destiny to go out and face/defeat a dangerous enemy. Marissa: The wicked witch/wicked queen/evil stepmother of the story. Erik: The protector.) . Overall, though, I would have to agree and even go as far as to list it as a favorite. :)

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Last edited by LiberalJustice on 06 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

LiberalJustice wrote:
Joker wrote:

Correction: She was only fighting the one woman who oversaw the project (Marissa, if you do not remember her name) she was a spawn of, not the entire CIA. She wanted to kill Hanna to eliminate all evidence of it.

Oh thank you for the correction and I am glad I wasn't the only one who liked the movie :D

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 9:54 pm

Joker wrote:

I remember seeing trailers for that when it was showing in theaters, but I haven't seen it myself yet. Since I value your posts, Joker, I'm going to take your word for it that this is a good movie, and I'm going to watch it myself. It is now in my Netflix DVD queue. :)

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 9:56 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Joker wrote:

I remember seeing trailers for that when it was showing in theaters, but I haven't seen it myself yet. Since I value your posts, Joker, I'm going to take your word for it that this is a good movie, and I'm going to watch it myself. It is now in my Netflix DVD queue. :)

Awww that is so sweet of you to say and yes it was a good movie it draws such emotion at least it did with me.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm

Joker wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
Joker wrote:

Awww that is so sweet of you to say and yes it was a good movie it draws such emotion at least it did with me.

Oh good, I love movies that make me get emotional. I cried for about half of the movie Restless because I loved the character Annabel so much and was so sad that she had a terminal illness. But despite that, it's now my current favorite movie and I almost regret sending out the Netflix DVD in the mail today. But yeah, I'm pretty excited to see Hanna now that I know I'll probably get all emotional over it. :)

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 11:34 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Joker wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
Joker wrote:

Oh good, I love movies that make me get emotional. I cried for about half of the movie Restless because I loved the character Annabel so much and was so sad that she had a terminal illness. But despite that, it's now my current favorite movie and I almost regret sending out the Netflix DVD in the mail today. But yeah, I'm pretty excited to see Hanna now that I know I'll probably get all emotional over it. :)

Oh yes it really got me in a emotional way the movie my sisters keeper made me cry like a baby.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
Joker wrote:

Oh thank you for the correction and I am glad I wasn't the only one who liked the movie :D

I liked that movie too!

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Nebulo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:40 pm

In the past week:

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 - 6/10 average 'thriller', really nothing special whatsoever about it. Nauseating twirling camera too.
Hugo - 6/10 truly hoped for more here, but everything fell flat for me, at best it's slightly above average.
Ponyo - 7/10 a 'bad' Studio Ghibli movie will always be better than a good regular movie...
Eagle Eye - 5/5 as average as average could be.
We Bought a Zoo - 7/10 better than expected, quite enjoyed it and some great actors in this.
Garden State - 9/10 an old favourite, incredible characters.
Moneyball - 6/10 really could not get involved in this one, which is a crucial thing needed for such a character driven movie.
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans - 5/10 overactors UNITE!! !!
Real Steel - 6/10 decent enough popcorn flick, some horrible premises and a few shocking actors though.
Young Adult - 7/10 GREAT acting, really makes you hate just about everyone involved, which I guess means it succeeded...
The Descendants - 8/10 beautiful story, well acted and beautifully shot. Definitely will watch this again.
We Need to Talk About Kevin - 8/10 a fantastic movie I don't think I ever want to see again. Truly incredible.
Thumbsucker - 6/10 talk about polar opposite mothers of Tilda Swinton. Was recommended as similar to Hallam Foe, not quite...
Welcome to Collinwood - 6/10 actually really surprised by this one, totally unexpected and yet surprisingly hilarious heist-gone-wrong movie.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:46 pm

We caught True Confessions last night. I liked it, as it was loosely based on the Black Dahlia murder, though it made my wife snooze because it was admittedly slow. But seeing Robert DeNiro and Robert DuVaul (I know, spelling) together in the same movie was great. The scene where DuVaul finds the murder scene, with the trail of dried blood, and the blood splattered bath tub was truly chilling.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:11 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
We caught True Confessions last night. I liked it, as it was loosely based on the Black Dahlia murder, though it made my wife snooze because it was admittedly slow. But seeing Robert DeNiro and Robert DuVaul (I know, spelling) together in the same movie was great. The scene where DuVaul finds the murder scene, with the trail of dried blood, and the blood splattered bath tub was truly chilling.

That is a great movie we share the same tastes in movies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:48 pm

Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Cool Beans! 8)

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Cool Beans! 8)

Hot Rod that is a good movie as well 8)

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

Of all the movies in the Roger Corman/Edgar Allan Poe series, I can't believe House of Usher and Pit and the Pendulum are the most highly praised by critics. Everything I hated about Usher is repeated in Pit. It's tedious and boring, and once again the young hero is a loud, obnoxious, rude, arrogant prick.

Am I really supposed to sympathize with people like this? Peter Lorre's drunken, wifebeating as*hole from Tales of Terror was a more likable lead. Jack Nicholson's bland and wooden hero from Corman's lousy Poe rip-off The Terror would have been a big improvement.

Tales of Terror, The Raven, and The Haunted Palace are miles better than this. I'm just glad that I watched them first, because I would never have bothered with them had I started the series with Usher and Pendulum.