Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do You Think "Mozart And The Whale" Is An Accurate Depiction of AS?
Yes 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
No 69%  69%  [ 31 ]
Chadmaster Is Full Of Crap (again) 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 45

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 3:29 pm

Xenu wrote:
I hated it, I hated how pretty much everybody in that guys Aspergers support group were borderline ret*d. Pissed me off.

The members of the support group all had Kanner's syndrome ("common" autism). Donald Morton was, in my honest opinion, a very good example of an aspie. I've never identified more with a movie character.

cthulhureqiuem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 4:22 pm

i thought it was rather sweet to be honest...

then again... it was filmed in my city, and i was watching it with my asd husband so.... yea =D

i didnt find it to be all to accurate, but all the critisism about it ("They make he and her look like they are incompetent ret*ds!") forget that there are some of us that are like that... and the proportion of "low functioning" to "high functioning" is roughly the same as my own local aspie support group that i attend.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:30 pm

In some ways I thought it did, and in other ways it didn't. Sure it showed that Aspies were able to have jobs, live on their own, and (to a degree) blend in with the NT majority. But with that said, where the film fell flat was the character development. While I can understand the difficulty of a screenwriter trying to accurately develop Aspie characters, I just felt more risks could've been taken with the script. But instead, they went with to the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" playbook and made it just another rom-com with unusual people.

Last edited by crmoore on 16 May 2012, 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:50 pm

Awful. The entire thing. Why did I spend more than an hour of my life watching it? What I found worst about it was the portrayal of the guy. At one point, he got obsessed with numbers on a microwave, a tell-tale sign that this movie was made by people who haven't yet realised that most people with Asperger's syndrome don't care that much for numbers, and very few of the ones that do would actually look at them obsessively and talk about them.

Summary: if they hadn't specifically mentioned Asperger's, I would not have recognised it, and I'd be convinced it was about people with slight mental retardation and an attention disorder.

birdiethehuman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2012, 6:24 pm

Accurate? Not very. Hartnett did a great job; Mitchell not as much. I think it's a decentish intro to Asperger's for people who don't know anything about it. The inaccuracies annoyed me, but I have to admit I still enjoyed the movie quite a bit :roll: .

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 4:45 am

You know its based on a true story and the character Josh Hartnet plays posts here from time to time?

I thought its was a good movie and Josh and Rada's characters were good. But I thought all the other characters in the support group were just different parts of AS.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 3:34 pm

No, it wasn't an accurate depiction; the Asperger's of the characters was exaggerated, and most of the minor characters in the Aspie support group seemed to have more of lower functioning autism. And the female lead really seemed to have had Borderline Personality Disorder on top of her autism. But I think they had tried to show Asperger's, and Aspies, in a positive light. And I really liked how they had showcased my home of Spokane Washington - where it was set and filmed in - too. 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

I couldn't really see what was autistic about the female lead character.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 8:19 am

That movie sucked.

What was with that guy who kept stealing everyone's food?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 11:33 am

I liked the movie. It's not meant to be a documentary, it's a basic story with an interesting twist. It also had autistic characters that weren't idiot savants for once.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:37 pm

I thought it was good, it was based on a true story so that is what made it good. I thought Isabelle was the mildest and perhaps borderline AS and barely on the spectrum since she acted normal. I thought she had Bipolar because of her mood swings but nope it was PTSD according to Jerry Newport when I asked on IMDB. I like how the film can show how aspies can be normal people so Isabelle was an example of it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.