Why do ppl like Hunger Games and not Game of Thrones?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

sunquan8094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2012, 11:14 pm

Hey guys,
Most people I know do not watch Game of Thrones or read the Song of Ice and Fire books, but usually have watched the Hunger Games movie or have read the books. Why is it that the Hunger Games franchise is more popular? Just curious, and thanks for answering.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 11:29 pm

I'd guess because it's not quite as demanding, from the top of my head. I remember I bought The Hunger Games, finished it in two days, and found it ok. Then around a week later I bought Game of Thrones, and it was a completely different experience, then came Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons. When that finished and I went looking for the second book after Hunger Games, I personally couldn't enjoy it because I found the characters to be too shallow, and the setting somewhat incongruent, although if I tried now I'd probably read it now that ASOIAF is not so fresh in my mind. Although I'd rather use that excuse to read ASOIAF again,

The thing is, ASOIAF is very complex and time-consuming. It took me three weeks to read it all, and I can read very fast and dedicate a long amount of time to reading, so I can see how it would take months for someone who's not as avid as me. Also, it has complex relationships, complex motivations, and portrays reality in a gritty and blunt way, something not everybody would like. And I must admit that there were parts that were not very exciting, I find it as a necessary evil because not all events must be like that, but still many could get bored.

Also, you can't take your kids to watch Game of Thrones :lol:

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 11:55 pm

hunger games is more child friendly

Thelostcup
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2012, 12:03 am

Hunger Games doesn't take 2 months to read.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:36 am

Because Game Of Thrones is a high fantasy book series aimed at adults and the TV adaption is an HBO series aimed at adults so the amount of people able to actually watch it or read is vastly inferior to the amount kids who are able to read Hunger Games as it is marketed towards a younger audience, plus a summer blockbuster will always be more popular than a premium cable show.

Also the word is spelled "people"

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

Delphiki wrote:
hunger games is more child friendly

Seriously, though. Yeah The Hunger Games is about kids, and kids like reading about kids more than they do adults. Same goes with TV and movies.
Here's a good question. Why do some like The Hunger Games, but detest Battle Royale?

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
Here's a good question. Why do some like The Hunger Games, but detest Battle Royale?

that's easy, Americans are stupid and don't like reading subtitles and also think that anything from Japan is 2 aryan body builders yelling at each other for a few weeks about how they are SO going to punch the other one when they're power level gets higher.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 5:42 pm

Because the Hunger Games has less layers. ASOIAF is a commitment and its not exactly an easy read (though more than well worth the effort). The Hunger Games was like a commercial break from ASOIAF.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 4:27 am

Xenu wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

that's easy, Americans are stupid and don't like reading subtitles and also think that anything from Japan is 2 aryan body builders yelling at each other for a few weeks about how they are SO going to punch the other one when they're power level gets higher.

I think most people don't even know about the novel and movie. I haven't read The Hunger Games yet but I'm interested because the concepts seem so similar. Every person I know that liked Battle Royale isn't even giving the books a chance because of their mainstream popularity.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 9:33 am

Maybe it's just me but when I see a book that appeals to the masses it means it's also dumbed down for the masses. But even more likely, it is poorly written literature, by a poorly skilled author, for poorly educated people. Every time I see certain people on my Facebook talk about X books (they don't even read!) then I know which books to avoid.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 2:12 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
Xenu wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

I think most people don't even know about the novel and movie. I haven't read The Hunger Games yet but I'm interested because the concepts seem so similar. Every person I know that liked Battle Royale isn't even giving the books a chance because of their mainstream popularity.

I've read both Battle Royale and Hunger Games and I really do call BS that Suzanne Collins never read or saw Battle Royale before it came out because there a lot of similarities other than just the basic premise. But yeah, while Hunger Games is better than average for a young adult novel it still isn't THAT amazing.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 5:39 pm

Because "Hunger is Coming".

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

CrazyStarlightRedux wrote:

lol...that was awesome and it is...its always dinnertime somewhere.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 6:09 am

Nymeria8 wrote:
CrazyStarlightRedux wrote:

lol...that was awesome and it is...its always dinnertime somewhere.

It just worked for this topic. XD

Of course, as the world goes round!