Does anyone like Captain America: The First Avenger?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:17 am

BlankCanvas wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I still have to watch most of the Avengers series. I saw the first Thor movie when it was out in theaters, and I've also seen parts of The Avengers, but I haven't watched any of the Iron Man movies or Captain America or the Thor sequels.

On a side note though, is there anything strange about me not really being interested in Captain America? I'm a Canadian, and I've always thought of patriotic American stuff as being rather... silly. :P I don't know, but sometimes I just feel like American culture is a bit too dominant and permeating here. I like a lot of things from the US though, don't get me wrong, but I'm a Canadian, not an American.
To understand the symbolism of Captain America, you have to think about what originally inspired the design of the U.S. flag. The star is a symbol of "light holding back the darkness", and the idea is that several of them together can work better than one alone. The upper left corner's blue background is a reference to loyalty, which is commonly associated with that color in many countries. The white stripes represent honor, purity, and virtue, similar to the original intent of a white wedding dress. The red stripes represent courage, bravery, and sacrifice, especially regarding the blood American soldiers have shed to protect both our own country and others' for over 200 years. Captain America represents all those values I mentioned, and it doesn't matter whether you're a citizen or not; if you hold dear and are willing to defend those same values, you're among friends.

Speaking extremely carefully here, I can sort of see why Disney-Marvel were fairly cautious with marketing Captain America outside the USA, so much as retitling it here in the UK as The First Avenger. It's far too easy for some people to confuse ... believing in the values that Cap. is supposed to represent for something less... benign...?

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about socio-political issues that don't really have anything to do with the fictional character other than a name-sharing coincidence. Or I'm uncomfortable with patriotism. Or I'm biased because I just didn't like the movie full-stop (period).

My opinion aside, I can understand why the Captain America movie has its fans, both inside and out of the US, and why there's anticipation for the sequel. It's a well-put-together piece of work and it's good for people to have positive things to believe in.

That and the fact that Captain America has always been a key member of the Avengers, and if the actual Avengers movie went without him it would just seem incomplete.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2014, 3:09 pm

micfranklin wrote:
BlankCanvas wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I still have to watch most of the Avengers series. I saw the first Thor movie when it was out in theaters, and I've also seen parts of The Avengers, but I haven't watched any of the Iron Man movies or Captain America or the Thor sequels.

On a side note though, is there anything strange about me not really being interested in Captain America? I'm a Canadian, and I've always thought of patriotic American stuff as being rather... silly. :P I don't know, but sometimes I just feel like American culture is a bit too dominant and permeating here. I like a lot of things from the US though, don't get me wrong, but I'm a Canadian, not an American.
To understand the symbolism of Captain America, you have to think about what originally inspired the design of the U.S. flag. The star is a symbol of "light holding back the darkness", and the idea is that several of them together can work better than one alone. The upper left corner's blue background is a reference to loyalty, which is commonly associated with that color in many countries. The white stripes represent honor, purity, and virtue, similar to the original intent of a white wedding dress. The red stripes represent courage, bravery, and sacrifice, especially regarding the blood American soldiers have shed to protect both our own country and others' for over 200 years. Captain America represents all those values I mentioned, and it doesn't matter whether you're a citizen or not; if you hold dear and are willing to defend those same values, you're among friends.

Speaking extremely carefully here, I can sort of see why Disney-Marvel were fairly cautious with marketing Captain America outside the USA, so much as retitling it here in the UK as The First Avenger. It's far too easy for some people to confuse ... believing in the values that Cap. is supposed to represent for something less... benign...?

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about socio-political issues that don't really have anything to do with the fictional character other than a name-sharing coincidence. Or I'm uncomfortable with patriotism. Or I'm biased because I just didn't like the movie full-stop (period).

My opinion aside, I can understand why the Captain America movie has its fans, both inside and out of the US, and why there's anticipation for the sequel. It's a well-put-together piece of work and it's good for people to have positive things to believe in.

That and the fact that Captain America has always been a key member of the Avengers, and if the actual Avengers movie went without him it would just seem incomplete.

Touché. I did kind of forget there was the whole Tony/Steve friction over who should be leader... my mistake.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 9:03 am

BlankCanvas wrote:
micfranklin wrote:
BlankCanvas wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Touché. I did kind of forget there was the whole Tony/Steve friction over who should be leader... my mistake.

And with no Cap, no potential onscreen bromance to make fun of.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 9:10 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Along with the Hulk, Captain America is my favorite Avenger. And I personally think Captain America: The First Avenger is the best Avengers related movie so far. Cap represents the ideals America was built on - a common guy given amazing power, who uses it responsibly and for good. He represents what America is supposed to be.

I'm GoonSquad, and I endorse this message.

I am kinda bummed that there seems to be little interest in another Hulk movie...

...and just to chime in on The Dark Knight series, the modern iteration of Batman certainly has a fascist streak, but the movies are hardly right wing propaganda. If that's what you're getting from it, you aren't paying attention. The struggle with fascist tendencies is just part of Bruce Wayne's internal conflict, and TDKR was a cautionary tale about greed and rampant capitalism, not an endorsement of it.

DukeNukem2417
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2014, 9:26 am

I thought "Captain America: The First Avenger" was pretty good---the fact that it was directed by the guy who helmed Disney's "The Rocketeer" was a massive help. Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull was brilliant, Tommy Lee Jones was hilarious ("He's still skinny")....in short, it was a great way to introduce Captain America into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 10:04 am

Something I just now thought about was that Cap should've been the easiest Avenger to make a movie about, given he doesn't really have superpowers or high-powered tech like Iron Man.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 10:48 am

micfranklin wrote:
Something I just now thought about was that Cap should've been the easiest Avenger to make a movie about, given he doesn't really have superpowers or high-powered tech like Iron Man.

No superpowers? He has super strength, stamina, speed, and dexterity from the super soldier serum!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

GoonSquad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Along with the Hulk, Captain America is my favorite Avenger. And I personally think Captain America: The First Avenger is the best Avengers related movie so far. Cap represents the ideals America was built on - a common guy given amazing power, who uses it responsibly and for good. He represents what America is supposed to be.

I'm GoonSquad, and I endorse this message.

I am kinda bummed that there seems to be little interest in another Hulk movie...

...and just to chime in on The Dark Knight series, the modern iteration of Batman certainly has a fascist streak, but the movies are hardly right wing propaganda. If that's what you're getting from it, you aren't paying attention. The struggle with fascist tendencies is just part of Bruce Wayne's internal conflict, and TDKR was a cautionary tale about greed and rampant capitalism, not an endorsement of it.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. 8)

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 2:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
micfranklin wrote:

No superpowers? He has super strength, stamina, speed, and dexterity from the super soldier serum!

Not natural powers like Thor though, that's more what I meant.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 3:31 pm

If you want to get technical, only one of the six team members had any abilities most would consider supernatural, and that's Thor. Bruce and Steve were both transformed by science, Tony has his armor, and Barton & Natasha are 100% mortal.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

micfranklin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
micfranklin wrote:

Not natural powers like Thor though, that's more what I meant.

Okay, gotcha.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 9:26 pm

Well I always enjoy this movie. Maybe you guys are right about some of the negativity about it but who cares I love Captain America: The First Avenger. I'll admit to The Avengers being my favourite of the MCU movies and Iron Man being my second, but Captain America: The First Avenger would be my third though that may change when I see the sequel. So yeah I probably do like it more than Thor. I say that because I get the feeling that Thor was more popular with audiences than Captain America was and don't get me wrong I love Thor as well and I guess Thor has some things better than Captain America such as the villain. To be honest while I did like Hugo Weaving as The Red Skull but he was basically just a one shot villain. He basically just wanted to take over the world because...well he's evil. There's no tragic backstory that led him to this, but with Loki he had a reason for being so evil because he was jealous of his brother Thor and was angry at his father Odin for hiding his heritage. But with that said I really like Captain America: The First Avenger and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a biased opinion.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 10:49 pm

In all my ranting about the political meaning of the character, I realized I hadn't given my actual opinion of the film. Its actually my favorite of the Phase One slate, with "Avengers" second, and the first "Iron Man" in third. I just watched the Blu-Ray of "Captain America" again last night, and it still holds up very well. Just ten days left until the sequel hits theaters...waiting sucks... :)

As for the Red Skull, he wanted to conquer the world because he had a huge ego. Colonel Phillips explained it very plainly: "Johann Schmidt belongs in a nuthouse. He thinks he's a god, and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it." Dr. Zola reinforces this as well, saying the sanity of Schmidt's plan doesn't matter, because unlike past dictators, he actually has the power to succeed because of the Cube.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

yes, i liked Captain America a lot more than i thought i would. It wasn't actually until I watched it that it dawned on me (partly because i never read the comics) that CA, Thor, IM, Hulk, were all prequels to The Avengers (which i LOVED). And I saw them all. I am looking forward to the CA sequel coming out. I wasn't too crazy about the 2nd Thor.

NOW - i REALLY want to see Scarlet Johannsen star in a Black Widow movie with Hawk! Where is THEIR backstory? (I am familiar now with the Marvel version but i want to see Scarlet on the big screen!) What a great femme superhero!

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 10:19 pm

Bringing this back because I just left the theater from seeing Captain America: The Winter Soldier. My feelings are if you like the first Captain America then you'll like this one a bit more, some more action involved, and an interesting thing about the plot. Won't spoil it unless asked, though.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm

The only thing missing from Captain America: The Winter Soldier was Hugo Weaving reprising his role as the Red Skull. Obviously, he was only absorbed into the cosmic cube, and not really dead. Instead, they brought in the algorithms of that Swiss collaborator, Zola, in the Hydra computer. I guess Weaving wasn't allowed to leave the set of the Hobbit movies, even for just a day's work.