I'm boycotting Star Wars Episodes 7, 8 and 9

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DukeNukem2417
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2014, 3:31 pm

Star Wars Episode 7 has killed the Expanded Universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... dds-694151

Chewbacca died in one of the novels---while saving Han Solo and his three kids, might I add, as well as a ship-full of evacuees from a planet about to be destroyed---but Episode 7 wipes that, and several years' worth of novels and other stuff, out of canon.

This INFURIATES me. Not just because I have a pretty large collection of EU novels, but because it ignores a continuity the fans have come to accept since the break between Return of the Jedi and now. The studio wants more money, and that means bringing back the Wookie---even if the Wookie died saving people from a planet getting wiped out.

I'm not going to see Episodes 7, 8 and 9 in the theaters, I'm not getting them on DVD, and I refuse to accept them as canon.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 3:42 pm

Its owned by Disney now.

You can expect the new movie to be full of goofy-like characters like Jar Jar, Ewoks and a lot of other furry/fuzzy characters that Disney can peddle in products. That's where the real profits come from.

The Expanded universe I think was never really canon.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

DukeNukem2417 wrote:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... dds-694151

Chewbacca died in one of the novels---while saving Han Solo and his three kids, might I add, as well as a ship-full of evacuees from a planet about to be destroyed---but Episode 7 wipes that, and several years' worth of novels and other stuff, out of canon.

This INFURIATES me. Not just because I have a pretty large collection of EU novels, but because it ignores a continuity the fans have come to accept since the break between Return of the Jedi and now. The studio wants more money, and that means bringing back the Wookie---even if the Wookie died saving people from a planet getting wiped out.

I'm not going to see Episodes 7, 8 and 9 in the theaters, I'm not getting them on DVD, and I refuse to accept them as canon.

Unless George Lucas has identified something as being canon, I don't think its fair to hold Disney to it.

Besides, Lucas himself messed with canon - to put it succinctly, Han shot first, dammit (and it was nice to believe that Greedo was enough of a bad ass not to miss Han by about 30 degrees from point-blank range).

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
Unless George Lucas has identified something as being canon, I don't think its fair to hold Disney to it.

Besides, Lucas himself messed with canon - to put it succinctly, Han shot first

Yup. Lucas never said he had any intention of recognizing all or any of those outside projects in his storyline. In fact, George indicated back in the early 80s (I saw it in a Time Magazine interview just before Empire premiered) that he already had all 9 films outlined, and those are the notes he turned over to Disney, so all the fan fiction stories were never an offical part of the canon and shouldn't be expected to be treated as such.

Just look at them like JJ Abram's Star Trek movies - they all happen in a parallel world split off by a time-travel jump through the multiverse. :roll:

I'm much more concerned about what kind of garbage Disney will add to the mix. Unlike a lot of haters, I didn't mind Jar Jar at all, but I never liked the Ewoks and of all the things Lucas could have changed in the original films, why he didn't CGI over all the stupid looking Muppets and glitter-covered aliens with more realistic creatures, I'll never understand. But I fully expect the next Disney Princess to have cinnabuns on her head.

[img][img]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy69/buddatek_inc/DisneyLeia1.jpg[/img][/img]

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

Dantac wrote:
Its owned by Disney now.

You can expect the new movie to be full of goofy-like characters like Jar Jar, Ewoks and a lot of other furry/fuzzy characters that Disney can peddle in products. That's where the real profits come from.

The Expanded universe I think was never really canon.

You honestly believe JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan are going to make the same mistake Lucas did with the prequels, the mistake that pissed a good chunk of fans off?

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 7:49 pm

Based on what Disney did with The Avengers, I'm willing to give them a chance

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 7:25 am

They can't do much worse than the prequels were perceived to be. Though I was hoping for a Dark Empire or Thrawn Trilogy type of story.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 7:36 am

micfranklin wrote:
They can't do much worse than the prequels were perceived to be. Though I was hoping for a Dark Empire or Thrawn Trilogy type of story.

Yes. Thrawn was imo the best of the expanded universe with Palleon and Daala's stories in second. Sad that we'll probably never see them made into a film.

It's my hope that the media readers in Asimov's Foundation series come to pass where you can put any story or book into it, and it would extrapolate all the needed data and present it in a 3-D visual format.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 9:02 am

stardraigh wrote:
micfranklin wrote:

Yes. Thrawn was imo the best of the expanded universe with Palleon and Daala's stories in second. Sad that we'll probably never see them made into a film.

It's my hope that the media readers in Asimov's Foundation series come to pass where you can put any story or book into it, and it would extrapolate all the needed data and present it in a 3-D visual format.

Then again, it might be better for them to make an original story instead of take from the EU, this way the chances of contradicting any other material is a lot less. Plus people will complain that it wouldn't match up with the books and comics exactly.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 9:48 am

Lucas was clear about 'canon'. He allowed the novels and such (which is good) but they occurred outside his original Star Wars Universe. On extremely rare occasion he might spot something in the novels he liked. The only example I remember is after seeing a picture of Aayla Secura, he liked it so much he adopted the character into his movies. Good thing too!! !

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

Now that I think about it, has anyone read the novel adaptations of the 6 movies?

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 11:01 am

But about the next three movies, if they make them I will probably see them, just like I will any LOTR & Hobbit films, as both are themes I like a lot. Its hit or miss with these things. Sometimes they make a good series that draws you in & sometimes it just 'eh'. But I don't take it too seriously. Its just a fact that good stories will be retold & retold and maybe attempts made to add to them.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 4:05 pm

micfranklin wrote:

The only Star Wars novels I ever read were the three Zahn / Thrawn books - really quite good. I would have loved to see those books turned into movies, or at least a derivative story showing Thrawn in the early years or something, but not to be, and really not surprising - I think Disney wants to film an original story - otherwise all the fan boys will know the movie before they even shoot it and soon the whole Internet will know what happens before a single frame has been shown.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 7:42 pm

Now you know what Star Trek fans have had to put up with for years.

So much has departed from what was established in novels (approved by Paramount...you can't print a Star Trek story without their permission) and even "official" technical manuals put out by Paramount. You just give up after a while.

TheHermit
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2014, 7:43 pm

DukeNukem2417 wrote:

Imagine how hardcore Star Trek fans feel, J.J. Abrams put the whole Trek universe into an entirely different dimension/time-line!

I'll watch the new films with the expectation of a thrilling 3D Imax Abrams experience which will be ultimately less fulfilling than the original unaltered trilogy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 12:58 am

Well, I guess what it comes down to is, ultimately only the movies are canon, and even they don't concisely agree with one another. So everyone who thought the books represented the Star Wars canon are going to have to grin and bear it as Disney uses a fireplace poker up the fan's backsides, or like DukeNukem, can just not patronize the new films.