Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 8:32 pm

Kaizen wrote:
Thagomizer wrote:
Fox cancelled Firefly? Curse their sudden but inevitable betrayl!

I can't believe that no one noticed the quote. :o

...And I shall call this land ... My Land.

Oh, that was a quote from the pilot episode wasn't it? I feel like a doofus for not catching that :oops:

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2005, 10:39 pm

Paguk wrote:
What I'm still trying to figure out is how a doofus like Wash hooked up with someone who probably knows fifty ways to kill a man with her bare hands.

1) His kind of innocence was probably very attractive to her.
2) Do you think he was going to say no?

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Dec 2005, 10:42 pm

CDRhom wrote:
Paguk wrote:
What I'm still trying to figure out is how a doofus like Wash hooked up with someone who probably knows fifty ways to kill a man with her bare hands.

1) His kind of innocence was probably very attractive to her.
2) Do you think he was going to say no?

Lol, she's the man in the relationship.

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2005, 5:51 pm

I loved firefly, and Serenity was the best movie I saw this year.Would like to be able to see a little of myself in River's ability to suprise everyone...And i could also reference her in the thread "Fictional characters you have a crush on".

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2007, 3:13 pm

First they cancelled Dark Angel, then they put Firefly on in it's place then they cancelled Firefly (Not that I imagine they ever intended to do anything less, what with airing it in the wrong order, and the fact it's helmed, (nautical term-Jack Sparrow), by Joss Whedon one of the most screwed over writers, X-men film, screwed over, Wonderwoman, screwed over, Angel, screwed over....need I go on) Talk about two burns for me!

My favourite character we're River and Jayne.

For a while I thought it was possible that the preacher (I forget his name) was a future version of the assasin in Serenity, come back to make amends or something, but since Joss had said there would never be aliens, time travels probably out too! Still I wished we'd found out what was the deal with him, and with Inara seemed like there was a story with her, I wonder if she might have been a spy for the allience sent to kepp an eye and or possibly seduce Mal.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 12:18 pm

This was one of the best sci-fi stories done in quite some time. I have heard rumors of potentially some more goings on in the future. One can hope!

39000ft
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2007, 12:41 pm

I got into Firefly through one of my workmates. I watch it again and again, mostly due to my job being on a ship and the combination of the long amounts of free time, and the similarities between the characters and our crew. A lot of my workmates (99% are guys) would like to have a chief engineer like Kaylee! (and a Companion too!) Our captains tend to be a bit aloof like Malcolm, and there are definately a few Jayne types too on the ships. It never gets old, and my favorite character is Wash, as he is most like me!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 2:25 pm

I have seen Serenity twice already & it gets better with every view!

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2007, 9:09 pm

I liked Jayne too and I liked looking at Inara.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 5:05 pm

herbivore wrote:
Quote:

I agree its cool looking, but don't you think they'd just use cars when they're on the ground instead of horses?

But cars from where? Horses can reproduce, cars have to be traded for. Plus mechanical maintenance would depend on more off world trade, and that might sporadic. The real prosperous settlements might be able to swing it, if they had a valuable resource that they could extract easily. It seems likely that the average settlement might not manage much more than food or shelter. Serenity does have a four wheeler on board, but it is good for only one or two people.

Horses are pretty much all terrain vehicles, with virtually no spare parts required. Its all very well having your rover on the moon of gamma 6, but wtf do you do when the cylinder heads blow? It takes too long to get spare parts from one town to the next.. imagine how long it takes in space.. They also require no fossil fuels, or even sci-fi fuels, and failing anything else, you can eat them. The only thing that might be better would be camels, given their greater endurance capabilities.

Also, it probably doesnt take that much work to change a horses tack to fit a riding lizard from Ubuntu 14. I'll wager that if you cant easily swap a car from unleaded to diesel, then swapping your space-buggy from diesel to Ubuntan fire-juice is a lot harder.

Finally, horses tack can all be made with relatively low tech metal working. The new Hyundai-Boeing T345 Moon-Buggy with optional sunroof is probably a bastard to make parts for, and if you use your own, you invalidate the guarantee, and then the Space Health and Safety Force will be all over your ass for risk assessments.. or something.

BeyondInfinity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2007, 5:36 pm

Why Firefly was cancelled!! :lol: