I like both 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
I don't like cartoons or comics 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I don't like cartoons or comics 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 74

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 4:36 pm

I am 46 and all my life I have watched mostly cartoons. When I read the newspaper I read the comics.
Am I the only one who does this?
Here are my current top tens (not in any particular order):
Cartoons: Invader Zim, Futurama, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Jonny Quest, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Sammurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, Darkwing Duck, Teen Titans, SpongeBob Squarepants (an acquired taste).
Cross Genre: Fraggle Rock, Muppet Show
Comics: Books of Magic, Calvin & Hobbes, anything by Edward Gorey, Outlaw Kid, Superman, Archie, Dykes to Watch Out For, Peanuts, Mutts, The Unknown Soldier.
Movies (including cross-genre): Labyrinth, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated), Spirited Away, The Iron Giant, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, A Bug's Life, Toy Story, Charlie Brown Christmas

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 5:17 pm

My favroite Comic Strip is Andy Capp. His profile maches my Winter Profile, in the Strips where he's dressed for the cold. I guess the Austin Powers movies are almost like live-action Cartoons. Austin's profile matches my Spring/Summer Profile, with the bright colours and the fancy clothes.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 7:05 pm

My favorite cartoon is Rocko's Modern Life. I tend to see the ones my kids like, and that's a big one.

I like a lot of comics for differenct reasons, but I tend to especially like absurd ones (when I get them).

EaglesRNo1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2005, 8:38 pm

I used to like all sorts of cartoons, but now that I've grown out of that stage of childhood, I only like some of the older ones and those with a more grown-up taste. I still like to occasionally watch Rocko and Ren & Stimpy, and as much as I love South Park and Family Guy, I'm really busy so I only watch new episodes these days. Just one more week until new episodes of Family Guy! :D

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 9:02 pm

Saturday morining on WB is alright, although it could be better. I don't watch TV, most of the time.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2005, 9:03 pm

I like both and am watching Fox Sunday night cartoons as I write actually. I still watch Nickolodeon, too, especially Spongebob, Hey Arnold, Fairly Odd Parents, etc.

My favorite comic is of course Garfield and I also have some of the holiday cartoons that Jim Davis put out in the 80s and early 90s.

I suspect I will watch cartoons and turn straight to the comics my whole life. I wouldn't want it any different.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2005, 12:33 am

Well, I love The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Futurama, although I don't really consider them "cartoons". Other than that, I'm partial to early '90s Nickelodeon stuff (Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, early Rugrats, etc.) and old Looney Tunes. I have a soft spot for SpongeBob as well. And since someone mentioned them, I'll say that anything Muppet-related is awesome.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2005, 2:41 am

I was always a cartoon watcher more than a comic strip reader. As a youngster I read a few of the garfield collections but not really the newspaper strips. Just the gatherings.

Then was I was 10 years old I received my first Calvin and Hobbes comic, The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book. It was a treasury of the Sunday strips in the first few years of the series. All nice in color.

I still never read the newspaper strips much but I collected the collections and treasury books. I think I have almost all of them to this day, unless any new treasuries have come out in the past 5 or 6 years or so.

calculon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2005, 8:09 am

My top ten favourite cartoons are.

1. Count Duckula
2. The Simpsons
3. Family Guy
4. Freakazoid!
5. Sam & Max: Freelance Police
6. Tiny Toon Adventures
7. Spongebob Squarepants
8. The Dreamstone
9. Animaniacs
10. South Park

My favourite animated film of all time is Watership Down, what a classic they've just re-released it on DVD as a special edition (Glad Disney haven't got their hands on it and made a crappy remake)

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 1:58 pm

hmm.... OK, this started as a top ten list, but I split it up into different categories cos I don't think comparing comedies to action cartoons makes a lot of sense... and then I added more than ten shows in there :P

American Action
1. Batman: The Animated Series
2. Gargoyles
3. Superman: The Animated Series / Justice League / Batman Beyond (three way tie)

Adult Comedy
1. The Simpsons (the first 7 or 8 seasons)
2. Futurama
3. Aqua Teen Hunger Force / Sealab 2021 / Harvey Birdman (also a three way tie)

Anime
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Full Metal Alchemist

Kids Comedy
1. Looney Tunes
2. Animaniacs

I'm sure there are some anime and kids comedy series that I'm forgetting here... but thats about right.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 2:46 pm

I like comic strips and cartoons, though I don't watch any TV cartoon series, as I don't really watch TV. But for movies, I like Lilo and Stitch, Spirit, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc. There are lots of comic strips I love-Bloom County/Outland/etc. Basically all Berke Breathed's work except Opus, which is in my newspaper and really stinks. Calvin & Hobbes, Far Side, peanuts, Dilbert, Get Fuzzy and MUTTS!! ! almost all the time, Sally Forth, Zits and Six Chix sometimes, they have their moments. I also love Lynda Barry and especially Roz Chast, neither of them have a regular strip, but Roz Chast is the greatest cartoonist of all time!! Yay!!

calculon wrote:
My favourite animated film of all time is Watership Down, what a classic they've just re-released it on DVD as a special edition (Glad Disney haven't got their hands on it and made a crappy remake)

Oh yeah!! I just ordered the special edition....can't wait to get it!!

Last edited by Mockingbird on 07 Sep 2005, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 3:23 am

Anything related to Heavy Metal.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 4:11 am

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
hmm.... OK, this started as a top ten list, but I split it up into different categories cos I don't think comparing comedies to action cartoons makes a lot of sense... and then I added more than ten shows in there :P

American Action
1. Batman: The Animated Series
2. Gargoyles
3. Superman: The Animated Series / Justice League / Batman Beyond (three way tie)

Adult Comedy
1. The Simpsons (the first 7 or 8 seasons)
2. Futurama
3. Aqua Teen Hunger Force / Sealab 2021 / Harvey Birdman (also a three way tie)

Anime
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Full Metal Alchemist

Kids Comedy
1. Looney Tunes
2. Animaniacs

I'm sure there are some anime and kids comedy series that I'm forgetting here... but thats about right.

Wow,,,, I collect the DC cartoons on dvd. Great taste!

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 4:11 am

Thagomizer wrote:
Anything related to Heavy Metal.

Is that the french comic drawn by Moebius etc?

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 8:53 pm

I JUST GOT MY FRAGGLE ROCK FIRST SEASON DVD SET!

yahoooooo!

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2005, 6:46 pm

Neuroman wrote:
I JUST GOT MY FRAGGLE ROCK FIRST SEASON DVD SET!

yahoooooo!

YES! I used to watch Fraggle Rock when I was a kid. I still enjoy the catchy tune at the beginning.

For some reason I liked seeing the little construction green guys who built something out of glass, but I never knew what it was. It always looked like some project that would remain unfinished.