Do you prefer American or non-American movies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you prefer American or non-American movies?
Yes 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
I like to switch em' up 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:06 am

Do you prefer American or non-American movies? I screwed up the poll and I can't revert it (I'm really tired right now) So vote YES if you like American movies better and vote NO if you prefer non-American movies.

Last edited by patrick6 on 01 Apr 2008, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:08 am

im afraid i dont like American movies much, they always butcher the books/games/British versions of movies that they ever do....

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 5:05 am

I love American movies. The more special effects, the better. Some of my favourites are E.T., Aliens, the original Star Wars trilogy, The Wizard of Oz, Dune, The Mummy Returns, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the first two Indiana Jones movies, Apollo 13, X-Men: The Last Stand, Star Trek: Generations, The Matrix and the LOTR trilogy.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:18 am

Icheb wrote:
I love American movies. The more special effects, the better.

Exactly the same :D My brain has been consumed by all that cheap American pulp :twisted: My head is a bag delightfully full of popcultural trash :twisted:

NewRotIck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2008, 8:10 am

I don't prefer either. It depends on the movie. America has produced more good movies than any other country, but more bad ones too. I don't like many of the big Hollywood movies though (e.g. Spiderman, Transformers).

Scorpio82
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2008, 9:35 am

I like me some big budget productions, and America's the only country that ever delivers on a regular basis.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:15 am

i agree with newrotick... i dont prefer either.

of course, american cinema had and continues to have its great moments, but the same goes for virtually every other film-producing nation: see british eon productions james bond movies, german bavaria productions "das boot" or the UFA classics like fritz langs metropolis. french cinema is a story of its own as well, and there is just as much a film culture throughout asia.

what i dont like, though, is this trend of americanization - take whatever source there is, give it some FX and rewrite it into a love story. (pearl harbour, titanic et al.)

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:23 am

Prefer British/UK (that region & culture) media, both fiction & non (movies & tv shows, incl. news). Annoyed at how U.S. productions buy something from the U.K. & then turn it into something simplistic, glossy, garish, icky & cheesy. I like people's accents from Britain, New Zealand, and Australia-like hearing these sounds better than the American pronounciation. Sorry for leaving off mention of Scottish, Irish, and Welsh-am less familiar with those cultures.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 10:59 am

NewRotIck wrote:
I don't prefer either. It depends on the movie.

Seconded, though between an American movie and one of my country's movies, I'd go for the American (or British or whatever).

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:32 am

I prefer British films on the whole. there's alot of great American films, but when looking at how big Americas film industry is, its still only a relatively small amount of American films that are actually any good. the quality of the films coming out of the UK tend to be alot more consistent.

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:50 am

I like American movies better, the only exception, of course, being Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:54 am

What kind of question is this?

At least ask 'do you only like English speaking movies'. This question is like asking, am I film prejudiced? Am I a cinematic racist?

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 12:05 pm

foreign language movies that i like --> battle royale (japan), city of god (brasil), various martial art films from china (bruce lee, jackie chan etc) and some others that i cant remember right now :?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:08 pm

I like anything that interests me. My current favorite is Four Minutes, which is English.

Cerumenator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 10:11 pm

I have to agree with JohnHopkins on this.

How would you establish the defining criteria for "American" film? The film industry is so multinational nowadays. The term "foreign language" film is used by the Academy Awards, and is a better term (to try and describe, I suppose, a Non- American film).

The Matrix films were made in Australia. So were Star Wars, Eps 1-3. Eps 4-6 were filmed at Pinewood in England, IIRC, with some exterior scenes shot in Seville, Spain (1-3), Northern California (6), and Tunisia. Many directors, producers, screenwriters are born outside America. Just watch the Academy Awards and listen to all the different accents during the speeches.

Many, many films and TV shows are made in Vancouver, British Columbia. Huge studio system up there. Toronto, too. Since the Matrix films, Sydney has become an enormous film center.

I honestly don't know what an American film is. Where the studio HQ are? Universal was owned by Gulf Oil for several years, an Arabian company.....

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 3:51 am

I prefer non-pretentious, entertaining movies, regardless of origin.