Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 10:17 am

Just more clips. Notice Spock's smile in the second one :lol: They were still working out his character in the Pilot.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 12:55 am

My favorite Star Trek movie out of all that were made (old and current). The theme for this movie is where the theme for Star Trek: The Next Generation originated from in case anyone didn't know :)

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 1:05 am

First attack scene in the movie which holds up pretty well even for today.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2024, 1:13 am

Clip from Star Trek: The Next Generation pilot "Encounter at Farpoint". Love the pilot and 1st season as a whole.

Another scene from the pilot in HD. Looks terrific!

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 8:05 pm

Love Wrath of Khan. The infamous "Kobayashi Maru" scenario.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 2:11 pm

First pilot episode of Star Trek: The Original Series now showing on YouTube for free through Paramount Plus :) I love that they're doing this.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 2:22 pm

Also showing Star Trek: The Next Generation's pilot "Encounter At Farpoint". They also have Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds pilot episode for free. I believe tomorrow is Star Trek Day. I love the fact this show premiered in 1987 the year I was born.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 3:00 pm

Star Trek is applicable in so many areas of life.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2024, 7:53 am

I wish I could win a Star Trek "treksuit" in an online contest - I entered it today :D It's something like those ones:

https://scontent.fktw4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=66E38250

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2024, 10:49 am

Irulan wrote:
I wish I could win a Star Trek "treksuit" in an online contest - I entered it today :D It's something like those ones:

https://scontent.fktw4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=66E38250

Very cool! Hope you win it! They look very nice. I'd love to have Kirk's original TOS uniform or Captain Picard's. I always thought it would be neat! Also Happy Star Trek Day!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2024, 11:43 am

Thanks, I'll know if I won in two weeks time :D It would be great - in the contest we had to describe our Star Trek beginnings - well, to me it started in 1997 when as a young teen, I started to watch Star Trek: TNG on TV - now I watch it on Netflix :) Btw, does anyone know if the Through Artificial Eyes website (a site with Star Trek fics) still exists? :? I loved the fics from it in 2007 but now I can't find it - maybe it has changed its name or something like that?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2024, 3:09 pm

I was going to do a skit for a summer program. Families were invited to come up with their own skits and the theme that year was “space adventure”. My son (then aged 12) wanted to do “Who’s On First” like Abbot and Costello but make it more Star Trek. He really went for it, found the original Abbot and Costello routine on YouTube and a transcript on some other site and got it reworked as “Who’s in the Engine Room”. I agreed to do it with him as Spock, and him as Kirk. We had Tee Shirts. With the TOS colors and chest insignia. We worked out a final gag where my other son would come in at the end as a Red Shirt. I wanted to get replica costumes for the whole family but my wife and daughter wanted nothing to do with the mini dress costumes. The whole thing looked like it might come apart so I finally I gave-in and decided to stick with the tee shirt costumes, and leave the ladies out of it, but I found this web site that had a good looking Spock tunic for not TOO much so I splurged on ONE replica shirt. I wore it for the skit (after touching up some of Spock’s lines to make them more - Spock-like). We did it script in hand. It was great. I still have my Spock shirt.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2024, 5:08 pm

Fenn wrote:
I was going to do a skit for a summer program. Families were invited to come up with their own skits and the theme that year was “space adventure”. My son (then aged 12) wanted to do “Who’s On First” like Abbot and Costello but make it more Star Trek. He really went for it, found the original Abbot and Costello routine on YouTube and a transcript on some other site and got it reworked as “Who’s in the Engine Room”. I agreed to do it with him as Spock, and him as Kirk. We had Tee Shirts. With the TOS colors and chest insignia. We worked out a final gag where my other son would come in at the end as a Red Shirt. I wanted to get replica costumes for the whole family but my wife and daughter wanted nothing to do with the mini dress costumes. The whole thing looked like it might come apart so I finally I gave-in and decided to stick with the tee shirt costumes, and leave the ladies out of it, but I found this web site that had a good looking Spock tunic for not TOO much so I splurged on ONE replica shirt. I wore it for the skit (after touching up some of Spock’s lines to make them more - Spock-like). We did it script in hand. It was great. I still have my Spock shirt.

Very cool story Fenn! Very cool you also still have the Spock tunic! Very creative idea your son had too!

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 6:44 am

Wrath of Khan had such great battle scenes.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 8:57 am

Ricardo Montalban was great, but somehow he didn't really recreate his original character. Shatner was Shatner.

The battle scenes in Wrath of Khan are so intense because they mix strategy with emotion. Watching Kirk and Khan outsmart each other in the Mutara Nebula, with the slow-paced, submarine-like combat, adds a whole new layer of tension. It's not just about firepower, but who can think two steps ahead - such a great balance of action and suspense!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 11:54 am

Many Star Trek writers drew inspiration from submarine warfare, particularly nuclear submarines, when developing stories or plot points. The original Star Trek series and later iterations, like Star Trek: The Next Generation, often used the dynamics of submarine combat as a metaphor for the battles between starships.

The confined nature of starships, the tension of cloaked enemies (like the Romulans), and the strategic maneuvering often mirrored the stealth and cat-and-mouse games seen in submarine warfare. One of the best-known examples is the episode "Balance of Terror" from the original Star Trek series, which was inspired by films about submarines, such as “The Enemy Below”. In this episode, the Enterprise faces off against a Romulan ship with cloaking technology, in a plot that echoes the tactics and tension of submarine encounters during World War II.

These parallels to submarine warfare added a layer of realism and tension to the series, making the space conflicts more relatable to contemporary audiences familiar with Cold War naval standoffs.

Gene Roddenberry, best known as the creator of Star Trek, served as both a military and civilian pilot. During World War II, he flew for the United States Army Air Forces as a B-17 bomber pilot, flying combat missions in the Pacific Theater. After the war, he transitioned into civilian aviation, working as a commercial pilot for Pan American World Airways before eventually focusing on his career in writing and television.