ASSUMED MOVIE, TV AND CARTOON CHARACTERS W/ ASPERGERS

Page 14 of 43 [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 43  Next

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 5:50 am

Z from the movie Antz har a lot of aspie traits.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 1:21 am

skafather84 wrote:
psh...as soon as he gains some semblance of intelligence, i'll quit hating on him.

until then, neo can know all he wants in the matrix....i know how to make his program crash.

What about Keanu's performance in "A Scanner Darkly"?

I just thought: Kyle from Kyle XY (first few episodes)? I think he's ultimately NT, but when he was learning about himself and those around him...

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 3:49 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Mr. Bean has a girlfriend? :roll: Goodness, I will have to research this!

Yeah. The Librarian. (He takes her to the pictures etc and spills popcorn on her.)

Cyndi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2008, 11:11 pm

Okay, I have a WEIRD one for you:

Soundwave and Prowl from Transformers.

Prowl operates on logic. Defy it and his brain freezes.

Soundwave barely talks and when he does it's to the point. I always feel like there's more to him than what you see and that if you could speak "music" he'd be so fluent you'd get lost in him.

Well, I'm more into the Armada anime and the latest film, but I thought I'd point those two out.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 7:13 pm

Frank Burns from M*A*S*H (tv). He was stuck in his routines, his social abilities were lacking, he was obsessive . . .

Also, the Riddler; especially in regards to Batman: The Animated Series. He uses multi-syllabic words, is really smart, good with word puns/riddles, computer smart (I know that's not necessarily part of it, but it is sometimes); plus, has a hard time relating to others.

Same goes for The Clock King (you want schedules and routines, whooee), and The Penguin (bird obsession anyone?).

But I think the same can also be said for Batman himself.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt23424.html - One person has already argued this once.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt45983.html - And then I posted my thoughts on it.

And then I made a list . . .

-Perseveration (to train, to hold a promise for so many years)
-Photographic memory
-Difficulty in correcting someone w/o seeming harsh
-Sometimes withdrawn
-Difficulty sleeping
-Sarcastic, negative
-low to no participation in groups
-great concern about personal working area
-problems addressing others due to issues with trust
-intense concern for privacy
-difficulty working as a "team"
-low to no sense of humor
-lacking ability to greet others in a warm and friendly manner
-perfectionist
-Interrupting in the middle of conversations
-Extreme reaction to change in routine
-Repetitive behavior
-Certain preferences of personal items (like clothes . . . bat suits . . .)
-very verbal, blunt
-Difficulty hiding true emotions like sadness/anger
-lacking ability to relax from activities
-no interest in tasks that doesn't draw personal interest
-Almost always totally serious
-Quick tempered
-Fixating on really bad/good experiences
-Limits oneself with pursued interests, without exploring other venues
-Difficulty expressing emotion
-need for finishing one task before starting another
-Difficulty with negotiation
-mental shutdown/total burst of anger when pinned in corner
-Difficulty talking to co-workers as "pals"
-thinking on a "one track mind" type basis
-impairment or total absence of quality social skills such as interaction (like leaving at end of conversations w/o saying goodbye)

It's safe to say that I've thought about this a fair amount.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2008, 2:14 am

Cyndi wrote:
Okay, I have a WEIRD one for you:

Soundwave and Prowl from Transformers.

Prowl operates on logic. Defy it and his brain freezes.

Soundwave barely talks and when he does it's to the point. I always feel like there's more to him than what you see and that if you could speak "music" he'd be so fluent you'd get lost in him.

Well, I'm more into the Armada anime and the latest film, but I thought I'd point those two out.

I also pointed out Soundwave a few pages back. He's also hard to read, but that's due to his not having much of a face as well as the monotone voice.

I never thought of Prowl since he didn't seem aspie-ish in the Marvel comic (he was sort of the Cyclops to Grimlock's Wolverine in later issues), but that opens up an endless discussion about which continuity defines a Tranformers character, and this ain't the thread for that. Prowl's tech-spec and cartoon personas may suggest AS though.

The tech specs for Hook and Windsweeper gave them anal-retentive traits that I always identified with. Hook was a perfactionist who rubbed others the wrong way by fixating too much on some technical task, and Windsweeper was such a neat- freak that his brain would seize-up if someone threw garbage at him. Those might just be OCD traits though, and not AS.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 6:47 pm

The Doctor from "Doctor Who" is an alien, but he's not like the other timelords so I'd say he qualifies.

Donatello from some versions of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". He doesn't talk much, except when he has something to say. Then he talks at length and in detail (with pedantic language and big words) and most people (and non-people) don't understand what he's talking about. He doesn't take quite as much interest in fighting as his brothers do, and never starts a fight. He's more interested in picking things apart, figuring out how things work and making things work differently. Oh, and his weapon of choice is a bo (quarterstaff), suggesting he likes to keep his enemies at a distance to avoid too much physical contact.
I guess cases could be made for all four turtles being somewhere on the spectrum (Raph for his difficulty controlling his temper and actions, Mikey for his tendency to say what he means oblivious to others and his obsession with comics and his hidden introvertedness (he's clearly holding back) and Leo for his systematicness and obsession with bushido), but I feel that Donatello is the clearest case.

Anya Jenkins the ex-demon from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". She comprehended things differently from other characters and related to language very literally. She didn't censor herself and always said what was on her mind. This was originally intended to be the effect of culture shock from becoming human and not being used to dealing with humans, but it was later explained that she was a human (named Aud) before she became a demon, and what her husband (Olaf the Viking) loved most about her was how she would speak her mind and be annoying (his words...roughly translated from absolutely terrible Swedish). The fact that he accepted her quirkiness and loved her for it might explain why she never seemed to have developed any social fears and anxieties despite her awkwardness.
I never cried when my father died. Not because I wasn't sad about it, but because it was just pointless. My mom kept telling me that it was okay to cry, but I just couldn't. I was just empty. In the Buffy episode "The Body", where the characters deal with the death of Buffy's mother, Willow gets mad at Anya for her strange behavior and inappropriate questions, and Anya just breaks up and goes on a rant about how pointless death is and how she doesn't understand things. I'm not gonna quote the scene, but it gets me every time. I tear up. That moment (along with the rest of that brilliant episode) helped me deal with my father's death years after it happened.

And bear with me, this is a stretch (which I'm gonna try to justify just for the halibut), but I think Spike, also from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (and later appearing on "Angel"), is an aspie. He started out as timid poet William who didn't do very well socially, had trouble making eye contact and so forth, but then he was sired which made him lose a whole bunch of inhibitions (along with his soul) and gradually built the tough Spike persona. Eventually he got his soul back, and it all came crashing back and he spent a while curled up in fetal position, shaking and talking crazy to himself in a basement ('cause getting a soul after having spent lots of time killing people is kind of traumatic). He soon managed to re-assume his Spike persona (or, rather, the ensouled version of it), but the fact that he even needs a persona speaks for itself. An interesting point is that Spike is the only vampire to ever go and get himself a soul by choice, which suggests that he is somehow fundamentally different from other vampires. That he somehow even without a soul (which in the Buffyverse is where stuff like empathy, sympathy, remorse and altruism comes from) was able to make a decision to cure his evilness despite the fact that he has to go through a hard, painful and dangerous process to get it. The willpower and empathy stuff doesn't necessarily scream aspie, but I theorize that AS would have a somewhat different effect on a soulless vampire than on a living human with a soul, causing the demon spirit (the thing that generally pushes a vampire to be really vicious) to connect in a different way with the host body's brain, possibly even imitating some concepts normally handled by a soul, such as love and sacrifice, much like AS makes an ordinary person deal differently with certain things. I suppose the balance between ego and id would have something to do with it. I think I've lost my train of thought, but I'm sure it was going somewhere. Trying to mix fictional mythology with psychology is quite a fun challenge. Especially when you haven't got a clue what the hell you're talking about.

Oh. Dr. Cox from "Scrubs", Lewis from "The Drew Carey Show" and Gaius Baltar from "Battlestar Galactica" are all stretches but I'm gonna mention them anyway.
Ford Prefect from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is an alien, but compare him to Zaphod.

Jesus of Nazareth? (He was on South Park and that movie by that guy from Lethal Weapon and stuff...)

I also wanna mention Dirk and Reg from "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", but that's not a movie or TV series.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 9:18 pm

I've also thought that Donatello was a possible aspie for a while. I'd say the same about Splinter.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 9:44 pm

Here's a silly thought: Thane Furrows from the film "High Strung".
The whole movie is just basically him walking around in his apartment, unable to relax, talking to himself, cynically obsessing about the annoying details of every single thing. He writes children's books for a living and doesn't get along with his boss. He has one friend. I could go on. It's a funny movie anyway. I recommend it.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 11:19 am

The Lone Gunmen from X-Files are definitely Aspies. :D

ferel-sapien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2008, 5:11 am

TheLynn wrote:
Anyone here see The Big Bang Theory? I think the two main guys are definably on the spectrum, Sheldon morso than Leonard.

When Leonard invites the girl into their apartment on a whim Sheldon is clearly thrown, and when she sits in his favorite seat he goes on a long explanation of why he likes that seat until Leonard yells for him to just sit.

His sense of humor is very much like my own. He repeatedly took thing more literal than others meant. It definably seemed aspie to me.

Oh definitely...No doubt about Sheldon...Leonard too obviously,but at least Sheldon had to talk him into cleaning that one girls place while she was asleep. :)

Mr. Bean..Especially the older episodes.

How about the charactor named Mouse in the Matrix when he goes on about Tasty wheat...

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:16 am

Skalman (literally "Shellman", as a last name, not as a super hero; apparently once translated to "Professor Shellback") from the Swedish Bamse cartoons, comics and books created by Rune Andréasson in the sixties:
He's eccentric, intelligent, mellow and non-physical (the word "hurry" is to him an obscenity of the worst kind, and he practically never runs). A genius inventor, mathematician, linguist, problem solver and pretty much anything that serves the story. His favorite inventions are the walking wheelbarrel (seen above), the food-and-sleep clock (an alarm clock that goes off whenever it's time to eat or sleep - which is several times a day and usually whenever it's least appropriate, and he follows it faithfully - dude needs routine) and a shrinking ray (which he uses to store most of his inventions and other handy things in his shell - allegedly everything except a locomotive, a space rocket and an ocean steamship). He is strongly opposed to astrology and is mostly laconic except when he talks about science, logic, mathematics and other things that interest him. He tends to go on at length about his special interests, and people don't always understand him. He sometimes comes off as a know-it-all (possibly because he does in fact know it all, and the NT's are just not smart enough to get that). He doesn't show emotion much (because crying doesn't really solve any problem - thinking up a solution does), prompting others to think he's emotionless. He is kind of a loner but his two friends (Bamse and Lille Skutt) keep dragging him with them on their adventures because they need his intellect and ability to stay calm and think logically under pressure, and out of the three main characters, Skalman is the only one who has remained single even to this day.

I just remembered that I always related to Skalman as a child. Now that I think about it, it seems very likely that Rune Andréasson was an aspie (or if not, knew one very well). Bamse and Lille Skutt also have certain AS traits. Bamse has a very strong sense of justice and always speaks up when somebody is treated unfairly, and Lille Skutt has a lot of anxiety and tends to have panic attacks.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 10:21 pm

Belle, from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=IltAsKmVroQ[/youtube]
She's "peculiar", apparently. Need I say more?

harvester52
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2008, 1:23 am

I swear half the guys who write for "Disney/Pixar" are aspies. I don't know if that counts, but I can't really think of any characters that you haven't already listed.

maddie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2008, 3:41 pm

i know someone has already said the doctor from doctor who and i agree totally especially the current doctor played by david tenant

what about willow from buffy

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 6:46 pm

Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion perhaps?