I'm boycotting Star Wars Episodes 7, 8 and 9

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 11:28 pm

From what I understand the books are not exactly related to the movies that clearly....I mean did the creator of Star Wars write these books or encourage the direction in which they took the story? If not then there really is no obligation for the movies to conform to the story told in the books. I am not the biggest fan of it but my brother and his friend are pretty obsessed and I haven't heard either of them talking about having accepted the written novels as a proper continuation of the movies....nor are planning any boycott, they cannot wait to see it.

But IDK it's really up to you if you spend money on seeing it or not, I probably will...I've seen all the others, and am curious to see if Disney is going to f*** it up or not, as far as like how the movies play out. I suppose if you've read books supposed to take place after the movies that have already been made, and the new movies don't follow that story I suppose I can sort of understand the frustration....but I am also not so sure those books where really the official sequels or just alternate outcomes/possibilties and as far as I know the creator of Star Wars did not officially endorse them or anything as the official continuation of the story...but I could be wrong.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:01 am

n4vae wrote:
Sorry, but I'm coming into this really late it appears ....

Anyway, since it's now confirmed with the most recent SW7 trailers showing Han and Chewbacca, the Expanded Universe has been discarded - simply hand waved away as if it never existed.

As a long time, hard core fan who's been into the EU ever since Timothy Zahn burst onto the scene in 1991 with his best selling "Thrawn Trilogy", I have read nearly all of the books and Dark Horse comics. The EU greatly expanded the breath, depth, and knowledge of all things Star Wars, going back as far as thousands of years before Battle of Yavin to decades after Episode 6. The books, comics, not to mention the video games, and all the rest have combined to add to the vast and rich milieu Star Wars Expanded Universe, far more than the movies themselves have output since movies are expensive and hard to make.

But now, poof! All gone, none of that matters anymore. This is beyond outrageous. If this was something Lucas (who long ago walked off the reservation entirely) always had in mind according to his interviews from recent years, "I never read that stuff" and other comments along those lines from him pertaining to the EU, THEN BY GOLLY DON"T FRAKIN' PUT IT OUT THERE AS IF IT IS GOSPEL!! ! ! ! ! ! ! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Not to mention taking in hundreds of millions of dollars over 24 years which the EU has added into the Lucasfilm coffers!! !

So yeah, I'm really pissed off and count me in as a new die-hard BOYCOTT STAR WARS NOW AND FOREVER MORE convert.

Only the post-episode 6 Expanded Universe stuff has been discarded. The pre-episode 1 stuff could still be consider canon as far as I know. George Lucas only allowed stuff to be written about Luke, Leia and Han after Return of the Jedi because he didn't think that the sequel trilogy would be made. He didn't allow anything to be written about the past in the Star Wars universe until he started making the prequels. The rule regarding canon with all the outside novels and stuff is still the same as the rule that George Lucas had with regards to the expanded universe. That is that the movies will be considered the prime source of cannon and anything outside of that can be considered canon but provided that it doesn't contradict anything in the movies. So all the EU stuff that happened in the past, including stuff going back thousands of years can still be considered canon, it's just the "New Republic" stuff that was supposed to happen after Return of the Jedi that is no longer canon but not all of the EU is gone.

Otherwise, who knows. Maybe some characters from the EU might still make it into the movies (I heard rumours that they already planned on having Mara Jade make an appearance in the Star Wars Rebels series, so she might be one). However, don't count on any post-ROTJ to be considered canon for the new movies. George Lucas never officially considered them canon anyway, though he did try to make sure that they didn't contradict each other, the same thing that Disney's story group was created to do for any new Star Wars novels, comics etc.

The only Star Wars expanded universe novel that I've read was one of the books in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy but I don't mind that the "New Republic" stuff is no longer considered canon. I'll just wait for the new movies to come out and enjoy them when they do.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:06 am

^^^ Revan lives!

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:54 am

trollcatman wrote:
^^^ Revan lives!

It's not Revan. The character from the trailer that you're thinking of is called Kylo Ren. Whether or not he's based on or inspired by Revan, I don't know.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 9:41 am

Jono wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
^^^ Revan lives!

It's not Revan. The character from the trailer that you're thinking of is called Kylo Ren. Whether or not he's based on or inspired by Revan, I don't know.

No, i meant that Revan is then still canon (of course no one really knows exactly) since KOTOR was set long before the films. I'm not expecting anything from KOTOR in the new films though, they'll probably start mostly fresh and only fall back on the films and not anything else (I think).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:20 pm

Dantac wrote:
Its owned by Disney now.

You can expect the new movie to be full of goofy-like characters like Jar Jar, Ewoks and a lot of other furry/fuzzy characters that Disney can peddle in products. That's where the real profits come from.

The Expanded universe I think was never really canon.

I don't know they did pretty well with Pirates of the Caribbean as far as not making it super cutesy...so perhaps they can do Star Wars justice but I'll see I guess.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:30 pm

Willard wrote:
I never liked the Ewoks and of all the things Lucas could have changed in the original films, why he didn't CGI over all the stupid looking Muppets and glitter-covered aliens with more realistic creatures, I'll never understand. But I fully expect the next Disney Princess to have cinnabuns on her head.

:( , and CGI isn't really all that realistic either...I like the stupid looking muppets that's something you don't see in movies anymore its all CGI anymore, so I am glad they preserved the original muppet aliens in the original Star Wars movies...though not sure how they could have changed that anyways, they would have had to re-do a lot of movie scenes or somehow paste CGI over the Muppet aliens.

But yeah I think back in the time they made the original movies(wasn't it in the 70's or something) if they even had CGI yet it was probably still pretty crappy and undefined....muppets/puppets where the most advanced technology for adding aliens/monsters and other strange creatures to movies from what I gather. There's that or movies where they add an animated thing but then you can tell its animated at least the muppets are still 3 dimensional.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:34 pm

micfranklin wrote:
Now that I think about it, has anyone read the novel adaptations of the 6 movies?

I tried to a while back for like episode 1 and 2 or something, and for one the books where not well written and didn't hold my interest....and if I recall they where hard to follow, not due to lack of my comprehension per say, but just didn't flow very well...and well you could tell it was a novel adaptation of a movie so I was not impressed with those.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 1:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Willard wrote:
I never liked the Ewoks and of all the things Lucas could have changed in the original films, why he didn't CGI over all the stupid looking Muppets and glitter-covered aliens with more realistic creatures, I'll never understand. But I fully expect the next Disney Princess to have cinnabuns on her head.

:( , and CGI isn't really all that realistic either...I like the stupid looking muppets that's something you don't see in movies anymore its all CGI anymore, so I am glad they preserved the original muppet aliens in the original Star Wars movies...though not sure how they could have changed that anyways, they would have had to re-do a lot of movie scenes or somehow paste CGI over the Muppet aliens.

But yeah I think back in the time they made the original movies(wasn't it in the 70's or something) if they even had CGI yet it was probably still pretty crappy and undefined....muppets/puppets where the most advanced technology for adding aliens/monsters and other strange creatures to movies from what I gather. There's that or movies where they add an animated thing but then you can tell its animated at least the muppets are still 3 dimensional.

Episode III: A New Hope was released in '77, to be exact. I remember it very well, as I saw it on it's first run in the theater as a kid. I recall, how as a kid, being given the choice one Saturday morning by my dad to either see this new movie called Star Wars, or stay home and watch my favorite TV show, Space: 1999. I almost chose to stay home, but then I though, how often do I get to go out and catch a movie? I have not regretted that decision since. :lol:

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:24 pm

On muppets vs CGI: a while ago on youtube I saw they actually got BB-8 (the round, yellow droid) as a working prop and not as CGI. The thing can actually move while keeping its head afloat on top. I don't know how they do it, but I think they have a gyroscope inside with wheels inside, and magnets to keep the head on top. Strange thing is that how this one moves (he's in the trailer) made me think that it was so futuristic it had to be CGI, but apparantly humans can make droids like this now.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Willard wrote:

In the 70's, they had what they called rotoscoping (the direct painting over and animating over live action sequences) which was a direct precursor to modern CGI. The original Star Wars movies used rotoscoping to create the glowing lightsabers as well as the use of a green screen and the painting of the background of the space battles (which is why you'll notice that there are no wires holding up the spaceships in those scenes like you might find in older movies). So actually, despite the fact that the original Star Wars trilogy started in the '70's, the special effects were actually pretty groundbreaking at the time.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:56 pm

trollcatman wrote:
On muppets vs CGI: a while ago on youtube I saw they actually got BB-8 (the round, yellow droid) as a working prop and not as CGI. The thing can actually move while keeping its head afloat on top. I don't know how they do it, but I think they have a gyroscope inside with wheels inside, and magnets to keep the head on top. Strange thing is that how this one moves (he's in the trailer) made me think that it was so futuristic it had to be CGI, but apparantly humans can make droids like this now.

You can actually make a working toy of BB-8 using a hollowed out ping-pong ball with a weight and magnet inside, so that when you role it, the head stays on top. I saw video of that somewhere, it's quite interesting.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm

^^ I agree that the SFX were amazing for the time and held up really well, and also the first movie was sort of a low budget movie, that makes it even more incredible. All this talk makes me want to watch SW again. I always feel sort of at home when watching them, probably nostalgia. :idea:

I was reading wikipedia and I found THIS: a photo of what is a hotel, but was also the set for Luke's home on Tattooine in ep 4. It's in Tunesia and apparantly some people there build underground.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 4:07 pm

Jono wrote:
You can actually make a working toy of BB-8 using a hollowed out ping-pong ball with a weight and magnet inside, so that when you role it, the head stays on top. I saw video of that somewhere, it's quite interesting.

Intesting. I'm wondering if maybe they'll make a BB-8 toy that can do that. Oh wait, of course they will. When that BB-8 thing rolled on stage the audience looked pretty surprised, I think most people expected it to be CGI and not a magnet ball device. It hadn't even occurred to me that it might NOT be CGI, that says something of people's expectations when seeing movies ("Oh, it'll be fake").

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 11:05 pm

trollcatman wrote:
^^ I agree that the SFX were amazing for the time and held up really well, and also the first movie was sort of a low budget movie, that makes it even more incredible. All this talk makes me want to watch SW again. I always feel sort of at home when watching them, probably nostalgia. :idea:

I was reading wikipedia and I found THIS: a photo of what is a hotel, but was also the set for Luke's home on Tattooine in ep 4. It's in Tunesia and apparantly some people there build underground.

I've read that the town in Tunisia where they had filmed Luke's home has since been taken over by terrorists.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 9:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I've read that the town in Tunisia where they had filmed Luke's home has since been taken over by terrorists.

I was reading about Star Wars filming locations yesterday, and it is Anakin's home that the terrorists use as a waypoint. It is not far south from where Luke's home was filmed, both in Tunesia. Here is where Anakin's home was filmed for ep1, it is called Tataouine (Tattooine?): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine
Those buildings look very familiar from ep1.

Here is a funny wikipedia article with all of the filming locations of the Star Wars films. Many of them are very recognisable, the palace of Naboo is a palace in Italy, Boba Fett died in the Sarlacc pit in the USA, Hoth is in Norway, Yavin IV is in Guatemala and the Ewoks on Endor live in California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_filming_locations