ASSUMED MOVIE, TV AND CARTOON CHARACTERS W/ ASPERGERS

Page 22 of 43 [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 43  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 9:22 am

dbzgirl wrote:
irene wrote:
[Also, what about Robert Goren from "Law and Order: Criminal Intent"?

Yes, I completely agree with this one. I think he's the most interesting character in the series.

Does anyone remember Vincent D'Onofrio in "Men in Black"? He was really great in that role.

Yeah, I think that Goren is an aspie too.[/quote]

Don't forget, he was also Pvt. Pyle in Full Metal Jacket.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 4:35 am

Peter griffin.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 4:51 am

BlackjackGabbiani wrote:
Crud. I joined the board after reading this thread but it ate my post because it has a link in it and I didn't have five posts yet...and then it turned out I had to wait five *days*. But no matter, I saved it.

Anyway! I notice a lot of people have suggested Pokémon characters, but here's one that may have escaped attention--Jirarudan from the second movie. Let's go through his traits, shall we?
-He's driven by his obsessions to the point of shutting out everything else around him
-He talks all the time, in very odd ways (he's almost narrating his own actions at some points), but only speaks to a human once...
-...and when he does, she's screaming at him, obviously furious, and he replies to her words alone, the tone seeming to go completely over his head
-He seems to have very little empathy or understanding of other creatures
-He has a rigid adherence to what he deems to be obvious rules and expects others to follow them to the letter (it doesn't even occur to him that letting the kids out of the cage would be a Bad Idea, because it's unthinkable to him that they would be so rude as to damage anything in his gallery...a mistake that costs him everything)
-He's disturbingly smart (we get that he's intelligent from the movie, but a sketch sheet used in production identifies him as having "frightening scientific knowledge")
-He has sensory issues (That outfit...in tropical islands...in the middle of summer...and according to that same sketch, he wears a long-sleeved shirt under it)
-He has an inability to connect with the world outside his ship (this is more obvious in his image song, but basically it comes down to that that's his world and nothing else matters to him but his collection, his ship, and his disconnection from society)
-He interprets the legend literally without considering that it may have alternate meanings (of course, he's also the only person in the film who actually *believed* the legend at all up until things started going weird, considering that the islanders said that the festival was "for the tourists" because no one really believed the story...which is kind of strange in and of itself)
Honestly, I doubt he ever put two and two together and realized that it was his own dumb fault that everything happened. Not that he's blameless, but it was beyond his intention, and he never really seemed aware of the real consequences of his actions beyond that it cost him everything he ever built (man, I can't think of that last shot of him without getting sad).
...and yes, he's my character obsession. I can go on for hours about him if need be and he got maybe 20 minutes of screen time. Which is a shame because he was fascinating.

Some people say Tracey may be autistic as well, given that he hyperfocuses, obsesses, fixates, seems to have stilted social skills, and (at least in English, haven't heard enough OI episodes in Japanese) has a very pecular speech pattern...but I'm not sure, because he also makes two very major life changes on the spur of the moment (traveling with Ash and staying in Pallet).

Cyrus also gets suspected, but if anyone was to sit down and try to diagnose that man, he'd probably wind up with a list of disorders the length of my arm. He has the flat affect (in the games anyway), the tendency to ramble on about things no one else cares about, the strict adherence to order, and the reputation for being extremely "logical" (although given what his plan WAS I'm not sure how his agents continued to call him that after it was revealed)...but he's also just plain psycho. If he *is* autistic, it's combined with a bunch of other stuff, and would probably be down near the bottom of the list.

By the way, whoever mentioned Lilo? And Izzy Izumi? I love you. Seriously.

The creator of Pokemon is a diagnosed Aspie. That would explain a lot of your observations.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 4:52 am

I'm not sure if these characters were mentioned, cause this is a looooonnggg thread, so here I go:

Edd from Edd Ed and Eddy

Cheese from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (the guy in my avatar)

Goo from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory

Jimmy Neutron

Ludwig Von Drake

The Cinnamini Monster from Chowder.

Sandy Cheeks from Spongebob

Last edited by violet_yoshi on 18 Dec 2008, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2008, 6:41 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
The creator of Pokemon is a diagnosed Aspie. That would explain a lot of your observations.

Except he doesn't work on the show and so wouldn't have had any hand in Jiri or Tracey, and I don't think he works on the human characters for the games either so that would rule Cyrus out.

Now, gameverse Oak I can see it, but not so much on the show or any of the comics.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 2:31 pm

There also could be a lot of difference, between how Pokemon is portrayed in Japan, and how it's portrayed in the USA where they may re-write the script to put it into English.

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2008, 7:50 pm

Well, admittedly I don't know much about Japanese Cyrus, but if he was that much different someone would have said something by now.

I've taken apart pretty much everything Jirarudan says in both versions and included his Japanese-only image song in that. It's interesting because the dub movie encorporates elements of the song into his dialogue since we wouldn't get the song itself. And his fans pretty much agree that even though he says different things in the two versions (and most other dubs are taken from the English one), they're more of expansions rather than changes because with time, it would have been in character for him to say everything that he says in both versions. Mostly because it matches up with the image song, which is his inner thoughts.

Tracey, the only thing I'm not sure of in Japanese is the speech pattern. That's probably due to Ted Lewis's voice than anything else, since most of his characters tend to draw out words oddly (except Giovanni, who tends to clip his words). The characterization, from all I've seen, is the same.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 2:58 pm

sheldon from the sitcom the big bang theory

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2009, 5:24 pm

Did anyone say Harvey Denton from League of Gentlemen? For that matter, Chloe and Radcliffe and the shop owner guy.

thatguy03178
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2009, 11:26 am

I've seen in this thread that you think that Lisa Simpson has Asperger's. If she did, then wouldn't that mean that Marge or Homer would also have Asperger's or at least have a few of the traits since Asperger's is genetic?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 11:04 pm

I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but I'm going to nominate Dr. Rodney McKay from Stargate Atlantis.

kenisu3000
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2009, 2:06 am

BlackjackGabbiani wrote:
Well, admittedly I don't know much about Japanese Cyrus, but if he was that much different someone would have said something by now.

I've taken apart pretty much everything Jirarudan says in both versions and included his Japanese-only image song in that. It's interesting because the dub movie encorporates elements of the song into his dialogue since we wouldn't get the song itself. And his fans pretty much agree that even though he says different things in the two versions (and most other dubs are taken from the English one), they're more of expansions rather than changes because with time, it would have been in character for him to say everything that he says in both versions. Mostly because it matches up with the image song, which is his inner thoughts.

Tracey, the only thing I'm not sure of in Japanese is the speech pattern. That's probably due to Ted Lewis's voice than anything else, since most of his characters tend to draw out words oddly (except Giovanni, who tends to clip his words). The characterization, from all I've seen, is the same.

You make a great point about Jirarudan (several great points, in fact). It's just that I'm not so sure Pokemon characters were ever meant to be that deep (now, don't take that the wrong way - I'm a fan too). I saw that about Satoshi Tajiri being a diagnosed Aspie, but like you said, I don't know how much of a hand, if any, he had in creating the anime. Then again, there is the mystery of what exactly happened with Takeshi/Brock and Professor Uchikido/Ivy. You'd think if it had been a simple rejection like Misty said, they would have flat-out told us the whole story by now (erm, have they told us the story on that yet, actually? I'm just getting back into the series after a seven-year hiatus). I read a rumor on an old Brock fansite that Ivy might have "done" something to him, and that they'll never tell us, because it is, after all, a children's show - so it's best left to our imaginations.
As for Tracey, I'm not entirely sure 4Kids would translate unclear quirks like this into their version of the show. Kenji might be an Aspie in the Japanese version, though (gotta love that fanboy face he makes when he meets Oak for the first time).

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 11:43 am

Well, after reading all 26 pages of this thread, many people mentioned characters that I thought had AS too. But I do have some possible aspies that no one else has mentioned yet:

Milo Thatch from Atlantis: The Lost Empire - Despite being a linguist he has very poor social skills and is completely obsessed with finding Atlantis

Ferb Fletcher from Phineas and Ferb - He has a knack for building practically anything but barely shows any emotions. Ferb doesn't really talk much either except for like one sentence.

Haruhara Haruko from FLCL - She might have AS, but then again she's an alien so she might be considered NT to her own kind. She's really immature for her age (shouting out nonsense, running people over with her vespa, smashing things with her bass, etc.) Haruko's also really stubborn and will do whatever it takes to get what she wants (even if it means causing chaos for everyone else.)
Samejima Mamimi (also from FLCL) - She's lonely and tries to bond with whatever she comes across (her boyfriend's little brother while he's gone, cats, robots, etc.), but never succeeds in a normal relationship. She's also obsessed with her video games.

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2009, 5:40 am

kenisu3000 wrote:
You make a great point about Jirarudan (several great points, in fact).

Why thank you. I've gone through his characterization more than I really should.

Quote:
It's just that I'm not so sure Pokemon characters were ever meant to be that deep (now, don't take that the wrong way - I'm a fan too). I saw that about Satoshi Tajiri being a diagnosed Aspie, but like you said, I don't know how much of a hand, if any, he had in creating the anime.

Well, I'm not saying it was an active decision to do so, I'm saying that they gave him a ton of traits consistant with such a diagnosis.

And I think if Tajiri was going to use his own Aspergers influence on any character, it'd be Ash, since he's said that Ash is supposed to be him when he was ten (although why he'd want to be connected to a dingbat like Ash is beyond me). Main character and admitted self-insertion rather than a one-off bad guy with pecular motives.

Quote:
Then again, there is the mystery of what exactly happened with Takeshi/Brock and Professor Uchikido/Ivy. You'd think if it had been a simple rejection like Misty said, they would have flat-out told us the whole story by now (erm, have they told us the story on that yet, actually? I'm just getting back into the series after a seven-year hiatus). I read a rumor on an old Brock fansite that Ivy might have "done" something to him, and that they'll never tell us, because it is, after all, a children's show - so it's best left to our imaginations.

According to one of the writers at a con several years ago, Brock was madly in love with Ivy, like REALLY in love as opposed to the crushes he gets, and she turned him down. But they still haven't said so on the show.

Quote:
As for Tracey, I'm not entirely sure 4Kids would translate unclear quirks like this into their version of the show. Kenji might be an Aspie in the Japanese version, though (gotta love that fanboy face he makes when he meets Oak for the first time).

I think it would be more of a "he acts like this, we'll keep him acting like this and oh man Ted you sound great".

Say, if you're interested in getting caught up, how about you come to Bulbagarden and we can discuss some more? My username there is Blackjack Palazzo if you want to sign up.

kenisu3000

08 Feb 2009, 1:33 pm

Funny, I've been browsing the Bulbagarden forums ever since getting back into Pokemon, and I've been meaning to sign up anyway.
OK, done. I'm kenisu3000 over there as well. And BTW, my main reason for getting back into the series is actually the background music. I'm crazy about all things BGM in any given TV/movie/video game series (heck, just look at my Ducktales thread), so you'll probably see me hanging mostly around the BGM discussions.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:28 pm

Sai from naruto defo is aspie impo