Page 241 of 1289 [ 20624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244 ... 1289  Next

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 5:10 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
True Lies

James Cameron film with Arnold. Arnold plays a spy who has been keeping his job a secret from his family.

That movie is a good parody of the movies about espionage. I watch it from time to time.

Voice: The code name of your partner will be Boris, and your code name will be...
Helen: (very enthusiastic) Natasha?
Voice: ... Doris.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:26 am

Amexicano (2007) - was interesting to see another point of view to foreigners trying to enter the USA combined with the attitude towards them.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:32 am

Stalk wrote:
Amexicano (2007) - was interesting to see another point of view to foreigners trying to enter the USA combined with the attitude towards them.

I have some sympathy with them if they're doing it legally. Illegal ones, though, don't get much sympathy off me.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:33 am

I would post a review of Race 2 (2012) but I simply don't have time as I'm off to the cinema again to see another film!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 1:00 pm

Race 2 (2013) / IMDb / Cinema / Image / Tips Industries and UTV Pictures / 146 minutes / In Hindi (interspersed with English dialogue consisting of some short sentences and code-switching) with adequate although not brilliant English subtitles throughout

Directed by: Abbas Alibhai Burmawalla and Mastan Alibhai Burmawalla
Cast: Saif Ali Khan; Anil Kapoor; John Abraham; Deepika Padukone; Jacqueline Fernandez and Ameesha Patel

Cinema poster:

Plot:

Quote:
After his beloved wife, Sonia (Bipasha Basu) is killed by a henchman, Ranvir Singh (Saif Ali Khan) vows to avenge her death. Ranvir learns that a billionaire businessman, Armaan Malik (John Abraham) is behind the death of Sonia. Ranvir decides to pursue Armaan and in the process, he befriends Armaan's half-sister and business partner, Elena (Deepika Padukone) and fiancée Omisha (Jacqueline Fernandez), who claims to be Sonia's sister, Tanya. He pretends to fall in love with them to get closer to Arman's reason for killing Sonia. Arman is a ruthless and shrewd businessman who will do literally anything for money and he never tolerates dishonesty in business and punishes it ruthlessly. How Ranvir beats Arman in his own game and avenges Sonia's death with the help of retired cop Robert D'Costa (Anil Kapoor) and his assistant Cherry (Ameesha Patel) forms the crux of the story.

Comments:

I had the fortune (or misfortune, heh) to watch this sequel immediately after the original. There are a lot more action sequences for this one, and the budget for these films isn't exactly massive either (under US$11 million for an action thriller, which is probably very big-budget by Bollywood standards but is tiny when compared to the money spent on dramas made in Hollywood. The stunts do seem a lot more numerous and much better done, and some of the absolutely dreadful acting has been cleared up (and it's good to see a familiar locale that I have visited personally in Northern Cyprus - the film was shot in Northern Cyprus and Turkey) but, again, the artificial nature of the stunts let it down. You can see that the yellow car being 'blown up' isn't a real yellow car, but is very obvious CGI. It sort of ruins it when you can see people that look like tourists in shorts and T-shirts that look like they are enjoying the spectacle of seeing a car exploding right in front of their eyes. As I said, it's a major, elementary problem with these sorts of films that I think they need to iron out.

As for the cast - good to see Anil Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan back in their roles. I've quite taken to Anil Kapoor's RD character particularly. I hope they don't try to murder his idiotic quirkiness too much in the third film, but I was starting to get the impression that the fruit jokes might be wearing a little thin from those that had seen the first. The subtitling seemed slightly better than on the first, and while there was definitely some very incongruous sounding British female accents in the Italian sequences it didn't distract from the film too much.

Would I go out of my way to watch a "Race 3"? No. However, even though these two films have mostly misfired for me, I'm definitely interested in seeing more Bollywood films. The genre of Indian moviemaking is so wide that it seems to be able to cater for almost literally everyone.

Last edited by Tequila on 07 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 1:59 pm

Not a bad film overall but, must be a take upon the Exorcist theme of such..

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 3:54 pm

Donnie Brasco

True story about a FBI agent who goes undercover in the Mafia and finds himself identifying more with the Mafia lifestyle. Stars Johnny Depp as the agent.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 3:58 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
True story about a FBI agent who goes undercover in the Mafia and finds himself identifying more with the Mafia lifestyle.

That sounds a bit like the British film I.D., only a lot less glamorous. (That film is about an undercover London copper who goes undercover as a football hooligan and becomes what he is sent to investigate. It's probably up on YouToob somewhere.)

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 4:10 pm

Life with Mikey (1993) - a girl that has a crush on guy, don't know how to act girly so instead she punches him. Oh and Michael J. Fox is her agent and Guardian/Mentor.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

Stalk wrote:
Life with Mikey (1993) - a girl that has a crush on guy, don't know how to act girly so instead she punches him. Oh and Michael J. Fox is her agent and Guardian/Mentor.

She wasn't an Aspie, was she?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 1:25 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Stalk wrote:

She wasn't an Aspie, was she?

I guess one could interpret that, Her attitude was of one that of one that would give her opinion even if someone liked it. She was a pick pocket, so she would require great motor skills, she made great eye contact too. It appears that she was more afraid of people using her. For now it points to wise con-artist. From the interaction I've seen on people diagnosed with Asperger, it doesn't match. I don't think she is, but this is a small kid/actress.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

Flight (2012) / IMDb / Cinema / Image / Paramount Pictures / 138 minutes / In English throughout

Directed by: Robert Zemeckis
Cast: Denzel Washington; Don Cheadle; Melissa Leo; Kelly Reilly; John Goodman; Bruce Greenwood and featuring Piers Morgan in a cameo role

Cinema poster:

Synopsis (this gives away the plot to the entire film, including the ending, so please do not read if this troubles you)

Quote:
On October 14, 2011, Airline captain William "Whip" Whitaker (Denzel Washington) awakens in his Orlando hotel room with flight attendant Katerina Márquez (Nadine Velazquez) after a night of sex, alcohol, and very little sleep. After using cocaine to wake up, he boards SouthJet flight 227 to Atlanta. After Whip threads the plane through turbulence at takeoff, copilot Ken Evans (Brian Geraghty) flies the airplane while Whip discreetly mixes vodka in his orange juice and takes a nap. Whip is jolted awake just before their final descent and the aircraft goes into a steep dive as a result of an apparent catastrophic failure of control sytems of the aircraft. With no other choice, Whip rolls the plane upside down to bring it out of the dive and maneuvers the plane right-side up just before crash-landing in a field. He loses consciousness upon impact.

Whip awakens in an Atlanta hospital with minor injuries. He is greeted by his old friend Charlie Anderson (Bruce Greenwood), who now represents the airline's pilots union. He tells Whip his heroism saved 96 of 102 people on board. An NTSB official informs him Katerina was among those killed, and that Evans has been put into a coma.

Sneaking a cigarette in the stairwell, Whip meets Nicole (Kelly Reilly), who is recovering from a heroin overdose, and promises to visit her when they leave the hospital. In the morning, his friend and drug dealer, Harling Mays (John Goodman), picks him up and sneaks him away from the hospital. Whip drives to his late father's farm, where he hopes to avoid the media. When he meets Charlie and attorney Hugh Lang (Don Cheadle), they explain that the NTSB performed a toxicology screen while he was unconscious in the hospital that revealed he was intoxicated, which could result in Whip going to prison on drink, drugs and manslaughter charges. Lang promises to get the toxicology report ruled inadmissible on technical grounds, but Whip leaves in a fury and seeks out Nicole. He finds her skipping out on her lease and offers to let her stay at the farm.

Nicole and Whip begin a romantic relationship, but Nicole is trying to stay clean and sober while Whip's alcoholism progresses, and she soon leaves. The media discover his farmhouse, so he drives intoxicated to visit his ex-wife and teenage son, but they call the police. He begs to stay with Charlie, vowing not to drink before the upcoming NTSB hearing.

The night before the hearing, Charlie and Hugh check Whip into a guarded hotel room to ensure he does not get intoxicated. His mini-bar has only nonalcoholic beverages, but Whip discovers that the door to the adjoining room is open and finds alcohol in its mini-bar. Charlie and Hugh find him the next morning, passed out drunk. They call Harling, who brings him cocaine to perk him up for the hearing.

At the hearing, Ellen Block (Melissa Leo), the lead NTSB investigator, reveals that the cause of the plane's malfunction was a damaged jackscrew in the elevator assembly. She commends Whip on his valor. Just as it appears Whip will escape culpability, Block raises the fact that there were two empty alcohol containers found in the trash on the plane; Whip knows these were his. Block points out that only the flight crew had access to the alcohol, and since only Katerina's toxicology screen showed alcohol, Block asks Whitaker whether he thinks Katerina may have been drinking on the job. Refusing to taint Katerina's good name, Whip admits not only that he was flying intoxicated but also that he is intoxicated at the hearing.

Thirteen months later, an imprisoned Whip, serving a minimum five-year sentence, tells a support group of fellow inmates that he is glad to be sober and does not regret doing the right thing, because he finally feels "free". He has kept in touch with Nicole and is reconnecting with his estranged son.

Comments:

This is a very enjoyable and compelling film. It's not full of action sequences and violence, but is a genuinely human drama about a deeply flawed man who, having pulled off a miracle feat in managing to land a plane in impossible conditions with very little loss of life. Denzel Washington is great as Whip, and the support cast pull in similarly good performances. I have to say that I was glued to my seat with this one. Oh yeah, and the full-frontal nude scene at the start of the film is pretty damn good too. Yum.

Last edited by Tequila on 09 Feb 2013, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 5:51 am

^ I enjoyed Flight too. I thought it was good.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 6:20 am

We just finished a couple horror movies on Sundance.

The first was An American Haunting; a movie allegedly based on true events (yeah, I bet!), about an early 19th century Tennessee family haunted by an evil spirit. A fairly decent horror flick.

The second a British horror film called The Possession Of David O'Reily, about the title character, while staying with friends, believes he's being stalked by monsters. A very excellent horror film, where the viewer has to decide if the horror is really happening, or if it's simply a matter of mental illness, and shared delusion. But to be sure, even if the monsters are just in David's head, they're all too real from his perspective. And monsters can just as likely be demented, knife wielding lunatics as supernatural creatures. This movie is very, very recommended by me.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Last edited by Kraichgauer on 09 Feb 2013, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 6:21 am

Hotel Transylvania

Count Dracula runs a hidden hotel for monsters. Feature cameos from several known monsters as well. I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Funny and fun film!

"I do not say, 'Bleh, bleh-bleh!'" :lol:

HammorHorror
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 10:22 am

Gladiator