Page 246 of 1289 [ 20624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249 ... 1289  Next

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 10:45 am

"The Master" Good performances illustrating the complex dependence of a veteran with PTSD on a charismatic con man. I think this is one of those films that takes a while to understand on a deeper level. It didn't grab me and pull me into the story, but I suspect it is a film that will improve upon re-watching.

SpiderFan14
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

Saw the latest Die Hard movie with my dad and aunt.

WORST MOVIE I'VE SEEN THIS YEAR

The plot was nonsensical in the not fun way and the camera work was atrocious, during the big 15 minute car chase in the first little while I had to leave the theater because I felt sick. The camera kept spinning and I had no where to focus my eyes on, it was bordering on seizure inducing. I left for like a half hour or so before I went back to my dad. It was terrible, I really hated Sam Worthington's character at first (but he and his dad John McClane did get buddy buddy when I came back to the theater so I guess he was ok.

Very very disappointing.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

Turok: Son of Stone (2008)

Native American warrior battles dinosaurs, a rival tribe leader, and savage cavemen in a strange land that's unstuck in time. Based more on the Turok comic books than the video games. It's animated but not for kids, with plenty of blood and gore, severed limbs and impalements. There are the usual plot holes and stupid decisions made by the heroes that you find in almost all pulp fiction of this kind, some bad dialogue, and Turok seems to have no discernable personality. Having said that, it's very well-made overall. The creativity shown in the action scenes makes up for most of the flaws. Wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

Event Horizon

A rescue vessel is sent to respond a distress signal from a missing ship that they discover has become sentient.

HammorHorror
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

Midnight Run (1988)

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:01 am

"Fellini's Casanova". This is one of Fellini's films that is not wildly available in the US, but I think it is one of his best. Perhaps the extremely theatrical style puts some people off. I think this is one of his most beautifully shot films. In the film, Casanova is an inventor, philosopher and intellectual but people only value him for his skills as a lover.

"Une Chien Andalou". Very funny and disturbing surrealist film.

"L'age D'Or". Not quite as funny or disturbing as "Une Chien Andalou" but still entertaining.

"Rosemary's Baby". I'm probably not the right audience for Polanski's films. Everybody just really annoyed me in this film.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

jagatai wrote:
"Fellini's Casanova". This is one of Fellini's films that is not wildly available in the US, but I think it is one of his best. Perhaps the extremely theatrical style puts some people off. I think this is one of his most beautifully shot films. In the film, Casanova is an inventor, philosopher and intellectual but people only value him for his skills as a lover.

"L'age D'Or". Not quite as funny or disturbing as "Une Chien Andalou" but still entertaining.

"Rosemary's Baby". I'm probably not the right audience for Polanski's films. Everybody just really annoyed me in this film.

Golden Oldies?

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

I just finished watching Finding Forester. One of my favs. Can't believe it's 13 now.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 3:28 pm

Brazil

Terry Gilliam film about a man in a Dystopian future who seeks his dream girl and works his mind-numbing job.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 3:30 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
Brazil

Terry Gilliam film about a man in a Dystopian future who seeks his dream girl and works his mind-numbing job.

which version? 1985 or 2002... or perhaps any other year...

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 3:35 pm

Stalk wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
Brazil

1985. I didn't know there were other versions. . .

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 5:47 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
Stalk wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
Brazil

1985. I didn't know there were other versions. . .

Nor did I! :?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

HammorHorror
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 11:46 pm

The Untouchables (1987)

I'll watch anything with Sean Connery.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 5:12 am

Anybody seen this movie: Son-Rise: A Miracle of Love (1979) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son-Rise:_ ... le_of_Love

Quote:
Son-Rise: A Miracle of Love is a televised docudrama film that aired on NBC in 1979 and is adapted by the biographical book Son-Rise (currently Son-Rise: The Miracle Continues) by Barry Neil Kaufman. It is the real life story of how, according to his parents, Raun Kaufman completely recovered from severe autism.[2] The film was directed by Glenn Jordan and the teleplay was written by Stephen Kandel, Samahria Lyte Kaufman, and Barry Neil Kaufman.[3]
The film tells of Bears and Suzie Kaufman and their newly born son, Raun. By the time he was eighteen months old, Raun was diagnosed with a perpetual disability known as classic autism—which, at the time, was classified as a form of childhood schizophrenia—and had mental retardation. Accordingly, "although advised to institutionalize Raun, his parents...instead created an innovative home-based, child-centered program in an effort to reach [him]."[2] Subsequently, Raun became typical of neural development and earned his master's degree from Brown University.[2] The film went onto receive the Humanitas Prize award.
The therapeutic, distraction-free play therapy progressed into a teaching model called The Son-Rise Program. By 1983, it was founded as The Option Institute and the Autism Treatment Center of America in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Raun, his family and other staff members currently serve on the board of directors.[4]
Raun Kaufman gives conferences across the United States about his alleged recovery as well as how to utilize the methodology with other afflicted families.[2] Nonetheless, a 2003 study found that there was a strong correlation between patterns of intervention implementation and parental perceptions of intervention efficacy.[5] Moreover, a 2006 study found that the program is not always implemented as it is described in the literature, which means it is difficult to evaluate its efficacy.[6]

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 8:23 am

Stalk wrote:
jagatai wrote:

Golden Oldies?

Yes. Particularly "L'Age D'Or" I suppose. :D

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 8:47 am

"Eagle Vs. Shark". Awkward people in a relationship comedy. The problem I had with this film is that the guy is pretty unlikable and the girl should have left him.

"The Doll". A German silent film from 1919 about a young man who is afraid of marriage, but has to marry to receive an inheritance. He orders a mechanical doll to trick his uncle into thinking he is actually married, but when the doll maker's apprentice breaks the doll, he convinces the doll maker's daughter to pretend to be the doll. Ok... This isn't the greatest film ever made, but the girl playing the daughter seems to be having a great time and she is fun to watch.

"Lars and the Real Girl". Since my name is Lars and I have been single all my life, a couple of people pointed out the similarity of this film to me. I found it strange to hear my name used over and over in the film. Lars is a very uncommon name in Southern California. I guess people with more common names are used to hearing other people being called by their names, but to me, it was a distinctly weird experience. Anyway, I thought the reaction of the community did not ring true and I felt that the film makers didn't have a real understanding of the character. Mostly the film didn't work for me. The one character who seemed believable was the brother.

It's a bit odd though... This weekend I watched three films where the main character had a relationship with a real or perceived artificial woman. ("Fellini's Casanova" was the other one.)