ASSUMED MOVIE, TV AND CARTOON CHARACTERS W/ ASPERGERS

Page 26 of 43 [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 43  Next

EtotheC
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2009, 5:16 pm

MrLoony wrote:
If a character has AS, they have AS. It's not a matter of what the creator intends. It's a matter of the function of the character's brain, but it's still a physiological difference. It's in that character's DNA.

Again a deep misunderstanding of the nature of medical diagnosis, Aspergers for example is a term used to describe people with traits that apply to the original disorder.If the definition did not exist, then neither technically would the disorder, as it would first have to be recognised as an "abnormal" trait by society for it to exist in the first place. And whilst it is unrefutable that symptoms may be there, due to the lack of a definition grouping people with these traits, it simply means that though having these traits,they do not have aspergers.

For this same reason, due to the nature of fiction, the writer/creator defines the parameters of the universe within the fictional work( in essence they are Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent), parameters that they do not explicitly define, do not exist within this fictional world as that world was created by them.So due to the creator not defining that AS exists in this world(let alone it's meaning), the characters cannot have it, as it is an abstract definition, meaningless without context.

To use a Programming example, it would be like calling a function that the programmer has not created, he cannot call the function because it does not exist in the first place.If he did create the function and call it, it would still need to be defined first before the function actually had context and therefore a definition.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 9:39 pm

And it's always a matter of opinion. We must keep this in mind when asking whether "Soandso has it," especially for fictional characters.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 10:12 am

Quote:
Aspergers for example is a term used to describe people with traits that apply to the original disorder.

Exactly. Traits. It doesn't matter about cultural differences. If someone was rasied to have Autistic traits, a psychiatrist would diagnose them as Autistic. Autism is the effect, not the cause.

But if the writer does not intend for them to have Aspergers, they'll likely miss out tell-tale hints like eye contact and stimming. I've heard it mentioned that Dr. House doesn't make eye contact as much (somewhere back in the thread someone mentioned it), and the writers included a reference, so he probably has it. The question is: would a psychiatrist diagnose them?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 11:02 am

Well Konata might give off an AS vibe because basicly she is meant to being made up of sterotypical Otaku, and despite her age is still very much a kid in certain area, but surprising adult in other. She also little ability for showing empathy to others and puts a lot of effort into her interests/obsesions, which she apparently has her own logic involved. I would also like to add that my study stratagies have been fairly close to hers.

Now the amount of jokes I hear that Haruhi ahould be on medication is quite surprising, and obviously she is quite different. She shows little empathy for others, and puts a lot of work into her very strange interests, and her train of thought can be very hard to understand. And if it means anything she is also surprisingly inteligent, a funny example was in one of the latest episodes 'Bamboo leaf Rhapsody', where she figured how long it would take.

Ones I have been thinking about lately have been Nozomu Itoshiki from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. He tends to look at everything in a logical way pulling it part to cold knowledge and then he does odd acts that he thinks are apropriate under his theory. He also notes that he is a master at not looking others in the eyes.

Also Chiaki Minami from Minami-Ke, she is very monotonous, not very conected to peers, thinks differently to them, surprisingly smart for her age and though dosen't get along well with everyone is very attached to her motherly figure (oldest sister).

JPanzer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 3:02 pm

I think that Moss from 'The I.T. Crowd' has Aspergus Syndrome.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 11:24 am

Someone mentioned Luna and Xenophilius Lovegood way back for some reason. I don't think they're Aspies, but they are most certainly not Neurotypical...

Maybe this thread should be ASSUMED MOVIE, TV, AND CARTOON CHARACTERS WHO AREN'T NEUROTYPICAL. That would encompass most of the people mentioned.

Michaeloptv1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jun 2009, 4:29 pm

I would say Butters from South Park.

He's very intelligent but has horrible social interaction skills. It fits to me! :wink:

eeyore19
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2009, 7:34 pm

Sorry if some of these have already been mentioned:

George McFly in "Back to the Future"

Steve Carell in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin"

Rob in "High Fidelity"

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 10:47 am

Now, to do something which people have forgotten to do, I give you...

...the DSM-IV criteria, straight from the CDC!

Quote:
Diagnostic Criteria for 299.80 Asperger's Disorder

Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
lack of social or emotional reciprocity
Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity of focus
apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).
There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.
Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

Quote:
Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (Including Atypical Autism)

This category should be used when there is a severe and pervasive impairment in the development of reciprocal social interaction associated with impairment in either verbal or nonverbal communication skills or with the presence of stereotyped behavior, interests, and activities, but the criteria are not met for a specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, or Avoidant Personality Disorder. For example, this category includes "atypical autism" - presentations that do not meet the criteria for Autistic Disorder because of late age at onset, atypical symptomatology, or subthreshold symptomatology, or all of these.

Now, do they fit these criteria? Most of them, not really, so they don't have Aspergers. So fit the criteria for PDD-NOS (the stereotyped behaviour part), though. Probably.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 8:52 pm

Eureka in the anime serie Eureka Seven. She distant with people, hardly show her feelings and completly clueless when it's come to social conventions. Then again it's likely to not coming from asperger, but from the secrets of her origin. As for Renton, he's does tend to not follow social rules. But that's most coming from is emotional overexcitability.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2009, 12:52 am

Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2009, 1:31 am

ok so i was watching the movie pump up the volume today on fuse.
and i think the main character has it well i assume he does at school he has no friends, makes no eye contact and talks very little.
but when he goes on the radio he becomes someone else

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 9:17 pm

As the anime will officially be underway starting January '10, Shizuku from Omamori Himari belongs on this list, I believe.

She:

1. Has a completely expressionless face
2. Is extraordinarily blunt ("We didn't see anything!" "They saw everything.")
3. Is honest to a dozen or so faults (when asked why she gave up trying to kill Yuto, the main character, she explains how the other demons sent her to seduce him)
4. Doesn't seem to understand social norms
5. Does not seem to be close to anyone (this could be explained by her being a demon, except for the fact that Himari and Lizlet happen to be very social in comparison... especially Lizlet)

I'm also fairly sure that she doesn't make eye contact. Maybe I should go through the manga again and check? :twisted:

RedTatsu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2009, 7:21 pm

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned him yet, but Dib from Invader Zim has a lot of Asperger's symptoms.
He's obsessed with aliens, cryptozoology and the paranormal, he has trouble getting along with other kids, and he doesn't seem to realize when people don't want to hear what he's talking about.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:28 pm

Has anyone posted Kevin French from the animated sitcom Mission Hill?

Here are the reasons why he could be a potential aspie.

1.) He has trouble interacting with others (especially those of the of the opposite sex). He has three best friends, but that's it.

2.) He's fascinated by sci-fi and fantasy movies/games/etc. to the point of being completely obsessed with them.

3.) He has a habit of "bling-blonging" when he needs to concentrate.

I think there are more reasons, but I can't think of them right now.

Togiraikonoka
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jul 2009, 12:37 pm

dont know his name but one of the male characters in a british kids program Grange Hill was an aspie