Page 31 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 93  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 1:50 pm

Not exactly a anime (It's Korean), but it sure look like it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_s5TkI4lyc[/youtube]
So, a satellite curious about love descend on earth and take the form of a cyborg girl, while a guy named Kyung-chun after being heartbroken is transformed in a cow. Kyung-chun is purchased by a incinerator who kill the heartbrokens. He is helped by the satellite and Merlin, who has been transformed in toilet paper. Sound like it make perfect sense. :lol:
I thought only japanesse could make something so weird, I guess I was wrong.

On another new, Mamoru Oshii the director of Ghost in the shell, is directing The last druid:garm wars, a live action movie directed in Montreal in english. It's supposed to get out this year, but I have been unable to find a precise date. Considering this is shot in Montreal and that there is some french canadians actors, I guess there may be some Quebec media attention about anime. Finally. :roll:

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2014, 11:02 pm

I wondered what happened to Mamoru Oshii... I've been a fan of his for a long time. But then after the 2010s, he sort of vanished; the last thing I heard Oshii worked on was the Kickstarter-funded one-off Kick-Heart by Masaaki Yuasa (more well known in the West for directing that episode of Adventure Time; more recently, he directed an episode of Space Dandy)

In any event, cool, thanks for the clarification!

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:03 am

BlankCanvas wrote:
[Actually, Gangan Comics, in which Gekkan Shoujou Nozaki-kun appears, is a non-gender-specific publication -- so it's pretty much aimed at anybody. Fullmetal Alchemist appeared in there originally.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. With the exception of Sabagebu, I'll check 'em out.

And apparently Gangan online (what it appears in) is also what Barakamon appears in, as well as past anime like Daily Lives of High School Boys, and Watamote, which are two shows I found to be pretty awesome, I think maybe series that defy gender focus.

I can understand that Sabagebu might look straight away like something like C3-bu and the like, and maybe it really will not be for everyone, what is really surprising is that it is apparently a shoujo, girls doing something unlikely should fall under being aimed at guys, but so far it has been surprisingly funny and perhaps lacking the pandering you would expect.

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2014, 9:50 am

BlankCanvas wrote:
JamXmed wrote:
BlankCanvas wrote:
JamXmed wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
-Snip-

T.T I had already suggested this ages ago T.T i feel ignored T.T

Oh, I already knew about Akame ga Kill thanks to your mentioning it, and my curiousity about what White Fox (animation studio) were going to do with it. I just didn't know when it aired -- seems like after 2 and bit months of nothing, suddenly there's a lot of stuff that I can watch. I'm still making my mind up as to whether to commit to it or not.

cool :) btw, i highly suggest committing to watching it if it follows the story of the manga properly. It's Really good. well... if you are ok with gore, fanservice, political pricks and transformers.

To be honest with you, I'm far more interested in the characterisation and where the plot decides to go. I don't mind gore or ... what you call 'transformers' (I'm guessing you're referring to Leone?). And I don't mind politics at all (unless it gets too dry ala Spice and Wolf). I'm just more concerned about the fanservice levels --- I really don't want to be made to feel like I'm watching something that would be more at home with Studio DEEN, Dogakobo or Arms Corp, where everything goes out the window due to keeping up a fanservice quota... I go out of my way to avoid that sort of thing because I really don't like it (increasingly difficult due to how much has snuck into current/ongoing anime the past two seasons).

So yeah, fingers crossed. :)

by transformers, i mean that weapon that pretty much makes you a power ranger in the anime.
By "political pricks" i mean the character is written really well to make you hate their guts completely.
the fanservice wasn't really something that popped up too often in the manga and honestly, it was only there to ease down the gore content for balance.
the gore is more of a personal view thing, considering any level of gore is a bit too much for me, i tend to over exaggerate the levels.

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2014, 12:26 pm

JamXmed wrote:
BlankCanvas wrote:
JamXmed wrote:
BlankCanvas wrote:
JamXmed wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
-Snip-

T.T I had already suggested this ages ago T.T i feel ignored T.T

Oh, I already knew about Akame ga Kill thanks to your mentioning it, and my curiousity about what White Fox (animation studio) were going to do with it. I just didn't know when it aired -- seems like after 2 and bit months of nothing, suddenly there's a lot of stuff that I can watch. I'm still making my mind up as to whether to commit to it or not.

cool :) btw, i highly suggest committing to watching it if it follows the story of the manga properly. It's Really good. well... if you are ok with gore, fanservice, political pricks and transformers.

To be honest with you, I'm far more interested in the characterisation and where the plot decides to go. I don't mind gore or ... what you call 'transformers' (I'm guessing you're referring to Leone?). And I don't mind politics at all (unless it gets too dry ala Spice and Wolf). I'm just more concerned about the fanservice levels --- I really don't want to be made to feel like I'm watching something that would be more at home with Studio DEEN, Dogakobo or Arms Corp, where everything goes out the window due to keeping up a fanservice quota... I go out of my way to avoid that sort of thing because I really don't like it (increasingly difficult due to how much has snuck into current/ongoing anime the past two seasons).

So yeah, fingers crossed. :)

by transformers, i mean that weapon that pretty much makes you a power ranger in the anime.
By "political pricks" i mean the character is written really well to make you hate their guts completely.
the fanservice wasn't really something that popped up too often in the manga and honestly, it was only there to ease down the gore content for balance.
the gore is more of a personal view thing, considering any level of gore is a bit too much for me, i tend to over exaggerate the levels.

Thanks very much for the clarification - that makes more sense now, though I'm not sure where you're getting the transformer weapon thing from. From what I saw, Tatsumi and the others were already implied to be very good at armed combat... Anyway, no worries. Roll on episode 3...

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2014, 12:34 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
BlankCanvas wrote:
[Actually, Gangan Comics, in which Gekkan Shoujou Nozaki-kun appears, is a non-gender-specific publication -- so it's pretty much aimed at anybody. Fullmetal Alchemist appeared in there originally.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. With the exception of Sabagebu, I'll check 'em out.

And apparently Gangan online (what it appears in) is also what Barakamon appears in, as well as past anime like Daily Lives of High School Boys, and Watamote, which are two shows I found to be pretty awesome, I think maybe series that defy gender focus.

I can understand that Sabagebu might look straight away like something like C3-bu and the like, and maybe it really will not be for everyone, what is really surprising is that it is apparently a shoujo, girls doing something unlikely should fall under being aimed at guys, but so far it has been surprisingly funny and perhaps lacking the pandering you would expect.

I'm really sceptical I'll get into Sabagebu because material like C3 really creeps me out.. They're not the same thing obviiously but I have a very strong aversion to" all-girl groups in a school-club and these are the somewhat amusing anecdotes of their everyday lives" scenarios. I blanked out Azumanga Daioh, Love Live, Tari-Tari, The Melanchonly of Haruhi Suzumiya... and that popular one where they start a rock group (I forget the name), Acchi Kochi, Nichijou for that reason. I'm sure they're all fine for their intended audiences so I'm not saying they're bad shows. If a trope is popular, of course it'll be continue to be produced, right?

But... I'm not said audience. Still, as long as you enjoy it, that's what matters.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2014, 12:41 pm

Moving along, just watched the third episode of Tokyo Ghoul and wow... very unexpected twists and turns already so early in. Love it.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2014, 11:05 pm

Zankyou no Terror was just as brilliant this week as the series opener. And just started Glasslip --- I've fallen in love with P.A. Works' astounding backgrounds and key visuals. Nice camaraderie between the characters and an already interesting funny story seems to be developing (not surprising as this 13-episode series was adapted from a light novel). Junji Nishimura has done it again (previously wrote and directed Windy Tales by Production I.G., but Nishimura may be more famous in some circles for being Mr Ranma ½.)

Highly recommended for those who like slice-of-life, situation-relevant humour, and cute girls who sound naturally cute, not forced. It's too bad about the ED but I can let that slide as the OP was absolutely gorgeous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6BhuzcGABY

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 8:48 am

I have iffy internet here in my temporary abode, and I don't have much time to watch anime when I go to my house. I did catch the first episode each of Sabagebu and Invaders of the Rokujyōma, and enjoyed both. I have a few more current shows on my list, and I'll have a lot of catching up to do when the plumbing work and related floor and wall repair gets finished.

I finished The Black Rose Saga of Utena. I think the series has gotten better as it has progressed so far. I'm also watching my Eva Platinum collection which RightStuf had on sale early this year. I watched the rebuild movies recently, and I can't say which I prefer. Both have their charms. I've put in my preorder for 3.33.

Additionally, I've started getting discs of Fullmetal Alchemist from Netflix. I can see the appeal. I've also started watching Honey and Clover for the second time, and I love it even more. I suspected that I would, since it has such great characters and believable situations.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 12:38 pm

Saw the third episode of Nozaki-kun, finding it hilarious, it really messes with the character tropes in a very funny way. Kashima is a surprisingly good character, I would normally hate that character type but what they are actually likable.

Also the third episode of Sabagebu, yeah it is also totally really funny too, lots of surprises.

I am really happy with comedy lately, Barakamon still holds first place, but the other two are quite masterful at comedy too.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 10:42 pm

BlankCanvas wrote:
I'm really sceptical I'll get into Sabagebu because material like C3 really creeps me out.. They're not the same thing obviiously but I have a very strong aversion to" all-girl groups in a school-club and these are the somewhat amusing anecdotes of their everyday lives" scenarios. I blanked out Azumanga Daioh, Love Live, Tari-Tari, The Melanchonly of Haruhi Suzumiya... and that popular one where they start a rock group (I forget the name), Acchi Kochi, Nichijou for that reason. I'm sure they're all fine for their intended audiences so I'm not saying they're bad shows. If a trope is popular, of course it'll be continue to be produced, right?

But... I'm not said audience. Still, as long as you enjoy it, that's what matters.

I won't disagree with your opinion, but you made numerous factual statements in error about shows I like, and I can't let it go. I tried to let it go, honestly, but I can't.

Acchi Kocchi, Tari Tari, and Haruhi aren't set in girls schools, and have a fair gender balance in the main cast. Haruhi and Nichijou have almost nothing to do with ordinary events in people's lives. I don't even really care that you don't know that, but acting like you know does annoy me.

KillerPenguin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2014, 7:20 am

Sorry to interrupt, but SQUEE, I'm so happy there's an anime thread! My boyfriend has me hooked (I'm watching Fruits Basket for the 5th time as I type this). I generally have to stick to English dub only because I tend to be studying or writing when I have it on, so I can't really look at the screen to read subtitles. Currently, my faves are Blood+ (I cried like a baby when the series was over. Not because the ending was sad, but because it was over.), Code Geass,, and Ouran High School Host Club. Soul Eater, Bodacious Space Pirates, and Fruits Basket come in second. I really can't choose just one.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 8:42 pm

I finished Honey and Clover for the second time. I think it has to go on my list of favorites. It doesn't have any magic or futuristic technology, but it depicts the magic of human interaction and growth brilliantly. It lasts for 36 episodes, and has a satisfying conclusion.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2014, 3:01 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
BlankCanvas wrote:

I won't disagree with your opinion, but you made numerous factual statements in error about shows I like, and I can't let it go. I tried to let it go, honestly, but I can't.

Acchi Kocchi, Tari Tari, and Haruhi aren't set in girls schools, and have a fair gender balance in the main cast. Haruhi and Nichijou have almost nothing to do with ordinary events in people's lives. I don't even really care that you don't know that, but acting like you know does annoy me.

I never said that Sakegebu, Tari-Tari, Nichijou, Love Live etc were set in girls schools; I merely said that they all nearly happened to be nearly all focused on girl groups in a school; because they all attend a school of some sort, right? And more often than not, yes, it is a mixed gender school. Males are obviously present in those sorts of anime... especially so in Acchi Kochi.

Maybe I was better off saying "nearly all school-aged girls"? Anyway, I'm sorry if my words offended you -- that wasn't my intention at all. And at no point was I trying to insinuate that just because I don't like those particular sorts of shows, they're therefore bad shows and no-one should watch them. Not at all.

As I keep saying, people are perfectly at liberty to enjoy what they want and as long as you and others enjoy shows that happen to focus on school-aged girls doing whatever (regardless if they're at school or in a club or what have you), then that's what matters in the end. Someone else's opinion shouldn't affect your perception and entertainment...

Never mind. Each to their own...

I guess my one bugbear is that I often find your descriptions a bit vague, so it's difficult for me to interpret and understand what you mean sometimes by "funny", "cute", "not that weird", etc. But that's more my problem than anything else - I've always struggled with things like that. It's why we're here, isn't it? :p But seriously though, no worries --- I didn't mean to make it sound like I was trashing your tastes.

And I apologise for the generalisation -- it's just groups of school-aged girls is so common in anime, you can understand why I said that. Especially with unhelpful promotional material like: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... e_live.jpg and http://www.zerochan.net/1142943#full and http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JQX82rwQeQk/U ... koi-12.jpg -- apparently, the lad on the far left of the last image is the main character of Nisekoi? I keep seeing promos with the blonde girl...

Anyway, never mind. I'm not anti-girls or anything either -- I just don't much care for the slice-of-life where nothing interesting happens, or worse, it tries to be randomly funny.... T__T I just want a decent story and interesting characters like Hanasaku Iroha (though Glasslip is satisfying this), Dennou Coil or Natsuyuki Rendezvous...

Never mind. No worries.

Last edited by BlankCanvas on 30 Jul 2014, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2014, 3:32 pm

Moving switfly on, time for an update as i've been too busy to post on here.

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are my own and aren't to be taken as fact!

Abarenbou Kishii!! Matsutaro looked as if it recieved a sharp boost in anime and art for its 15th episode, which was nice. Especially as the titular character (in his own way rather naive way) seemed to grow up a little and realise he no longer had a place in his old life, having now become a second-tier sumo wrestler.

Tokyo Ghoul and Zankyou no Terror are still holding pretty nicely too. I was kind of scared Tokyo Ghoul went into Deadman Wonderland territory (gratutious violence for the sake of it) but we'll see how the next episode goes. Zankyou no Terror I am definetely getting on DVD -- one of the most beautifully crafted pieces of anime I've seen for a long time now; the characters, the music, the sound design, the pacing... beautiful. Shin'ichiro Watanabe has won my respect -- the man can really pen something decent when he puts his mind to it.

Been watching The Devil is a Part-Timer in English and rather frustratingly, I wish it was longer than 13 episodes as there is a lot of untapped potential in the series with the medievalesque Ente Isla lot settling into modern-day Tokyo. The new dub voice actors and script writer Funimation have hired really performed quite wonderfully in their roles, so good call on Mike McFarland for casting.

After last week's slightly better Act 2 for Sailor Moon Crystal, I'm waiting Act 3 for the debut of Mars, though in truth, I'm rather dissapointed that [and this is a fact] Toei have let their Phillipine division and Triple A of all people work on such a big animation --- both smaller outsourced studios usually handle the in-betweening animation for other shows, so their inexperience with key animation shows glaringly with Sailor Moon Crystal. Still, I remain optimstic for episode 3...

After a really shaky first episode, Chaika's second episode was so so much better --- exposition and world-building was given this time, and despite Chaika's irritating baby-talk/broken English, at least the anime now gave the audience a reason to care about what she's doing. It's too bad the supporting cast however feel like they've been borrowed right out of a Fire Emblem game (that is, if someone only watched about 10 minutes in the middle of a game). I'm quite concerned about what BONES are doing now since this is anime number 4 they've produced that I've struggled to get into. BONES are my favourite studio so I want to support them, but it's hard if they're producing projects like Chaika (that seem to heavily rely on prior knowledge of the novel -- even Log Horizon explained and built up its world a lot better, and it had half the budget that BONES do with Chaika).

So we'll see where Chaika goes. I don't hate it, but it's not giving me much reason to like it either... it's just sort of there... to me anyway.

I'm enjoying Akame ga Kill far more and was very surprised at how well White Fox are handling it - I thought episode 3 would put me off with stereotypical tsundere Mine (with the obligatory "You pervert!" gag) but it's actually coming into its own quite well. Good world-building, good characterisation and exposition. Tatsumi's a little flat and Akame herself seems to be a little Rei Ayanami is (ie. doesn't say or do very much outside of what is immediately required of her), but hopefully Akame (the character) comes into her own and blossoms a bit as the series unfolds.

And that's pretty much it. Again, my opinions are my own so yeah, not fact (mostly). I just like watching anime for the storytelling and the characters. That's all. No worries.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 8:04 pm

BlankCanvas, I hoped to make it clear that my aspie-ness made me do it. You did say girl clubs and not girl schools, didn't you... I read your post probably four times, but I kept seeing what I already expected. It happens to us all, I guess.

I actually did consider the previous discussion, and I put more details into my last two impressions of anime I wrote here. That much detail is all you can expect. I'd skip the rest of any review that gave me more, such is my love of surprises.

I get the impression that you don't want to argue. I feel the same way. My aspie-ness made me do it.