Page 313 of 1288 [ 20604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316 ... 1288  Next

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The Master.

A traumatized WWII veteran, Freddy Quell (Joaquin Phoenix), usually drunk and on the run (quite literally at times) finds himself taken in by a thinly disguised L. Ron Hubbard, and self described author, philosopher, nuclear physicist, etc. named Sinclair Dodd (the late Philip Seymour Hoffman). Claiming that he can cure leukemia and insanity with past lives regression dating back trillions of years, Freddy becomes his most fanatical and violent devotee. Despite being told that Freddy is bad news, Dodd says he must help him, as he helps broken people. But Dodd is of course nothing but a charlatan, and is the most broken of all, and it becomes clear his fascination with Freddy is of a homoerotic nature.
Very worthwhile movie.
I really liked this one.
In honor of Hoffman I watched Charlie Wilson's War again.

lightwing12star
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

Hanna, catching Fire Hunger Games, The Godfather

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm

I finally got around to The Usual Suspects.

It was pretty good even if I did figure out who you-know-who was about halfway through.
8)

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 3:27 pm

Rock-nRolla

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 3:37 pm

Paranormal Activity 2

A parallel prequel to Paranormal Activity beginning before the first film and ending after. After experiencing what they think is a 'break-ins', a family sets up security cameras around their home, only to realize that the events unfolding before them are more sinister than they seem.

Heartland

Shows early homestead life in the American West based on a memoir by Elinore Pruitt Stewart.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:59 am

Edward Scissorhands

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2014, 5:20 am

Tomboy

A 2011 French film by Céline Sciamma dealing with body dysmorphic disorder and sexual ambiguity.

10-year-old Laure moves to Paris with her family as her mother is due to give birth to the third child of the family. However, upon meeting one of the neighbourhood children, Lisa, Laure is mistakenly identified as a boy due to her androgynous looks. Going along with the lie, Laure interacts with Lisa and the rest of the kids as "Mikael", even going insofar to develop a possible romantic relationship with Lisa and letting 'his' sister Jeanne, in on the secret.

However, a fight in the woods just before the end of the summer holidays leads to Laure's real gender getting exposed. The film ends ambiguously with a conversation between Lisa and Laure just before the school term starts.

An interesting film this was, and Laure's very young actress, Zoé Héran, performed admirably in dealing with the tricky subject matter.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 12:32 pm

Lincoln.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 3:55 pm

Paranormal Activity 3

Prequel to Paranormal Activity. Taking place in 1988 as Katie and her sister meet the demonic presence that haunts their family for the first time.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 1:45 pm

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- 2011 american version.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 6:31 pm

The World's End

Five childhood friends reunite after 20 years in an attempt to complete a marathon of 12 pubs. Soon, they come to realize the robots have been replacing humans. . .

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 10:10 pm

Philomena

Based on actual events, Judi Dench stars as an elderly Irish woman who was forced to give up her child as a young woman and later forced to live in a convent. Steve Coogan co-stars as the journalist who helps her look for her son.

An emotional film this was, and both Dench & Coogan gave great performances, despite the subject matter.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm

The Purge.

Ethan Hawke stars as a successful businessman who installs security, which is needed by the affluent in the near future, after something awful has happened to America. Once a year, the "New Founding Fathers" have instituted a night where people can commit any crime they desire (with the exception of harming political leaders) to exorcise their hate and prejudice. In truth, this is mostly a means of wiping out "unproductive members of society." Hawke and his wife absolutely endorse this - - till their son rescues a homeless black man from a gang of affluent, mask wearing killers. Trapped in the house, Hawke is ready to hand the poor man over to these lunatics, till his daughter tells him, "Nothing is all right - - nothing will be alright again," after she witnesses how the black man is brutalized by her father. Realizing when it's almost too late how evil the Purge is, Hawke and his family make a stand against their peers, fighting to the death.
Much better than I would have expected.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 10:10 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
The World's End

Five childhood friends reunite after 20 years in an attempt to complete a marathon of 12 pubs. Soon, they come to realize the robots have been replacing humans. . .

I really liked this one.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 2:26 pm

Overboard

A spoiled heiress refuses to a pay hired carpenter and shoves him off her yacht. Then she herself falls overboard and gets amnesia. The carpenter finds out and, looking for revenge, convinces her that she's his wife and mother to his four kids.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 3:42 pm

V For Vendetta.