Page 40 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 93  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 12:04 am

UncannyDanny wrote:
Anyone seen Naruto? I haven't seen it in a while, and now I'm watching the series in the internet. I thought it's a pretty cool anime.

I watched Naruto up until the show stopped following the manga, then switched over to Naruto Shippuden. It was the anime that taught me about filler episodes, which I generally dislike, so I learned to skip them. I don't watch it regularly, but I do binge-watch on occasion.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

Anyone seen The Heroic Legend of Arslan?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 12:20 am

I just finished Onee-chan ga Kita. It gave me reliable giggles in 3-minute bursts.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 1:02 am

After the second episode Gakkou Gurashi is indeed my favourite show of the season, just so good with how they portray things. I want to recommend as many people as possible to watch it, to go off what I said earlier, the OP song I showed before is actually quite purposely misleading, and in fact has changes in the second episode, it is not as moe as it looks and in fact there is something really wrong. I still won't say what it is, people should experience it.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 9:01 pm

Not 100% anime as it's a US production and it may have been written in US as well. But it's have been animated and directed in Japan. One of the Little Nemo in slumberland pilots; directed by Osamu Dezaki it got fantastic visual and animation and the plan in which the squirrel is coming is really awesome. Do anyone know what is the music at the beginning?

There is also this pilot, that I think I already posted her a few years ago, it's has been directed by Yoshifumi Kondo who later would direct Whisper ih the heart before tragically passing away. (He only made one full length movie, but what movie!! !)

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2015, 7:27 pm

I started watching Shokugeki-no-Souma on a recommendation. It's entertaining, but every episode leaves me feeling a bit dirty.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2015, 2:10 pm

You know what was surprisingly good? Soul Eater: NOT. It's very different from the original series but I liked it a lot.

Jarring
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2015, 10:14 pm

I've been watching anime since it was on the sci fi channel.. they pronounced it ANEEM.. hilarious. needless to say, I've seen a lot, but my favorites have always been comedies.. Ranma 1/2.. Slayers.. Squid Girl.. just to name a few.. I'm not one of those elites that only watch it in subtitles...I don't get it...so what if it's bad sometimes...you ever watch speed racer? Kids ate that up regardless of how badly dubbed it was. Also.. watching mainly comedies...I gotta watch it dubbed...having to read subtitles in a comedy seems to take away too much from it. Humor...wit...puns.. it's all gotta be snappy.. instant digestion according to what you're seeing... especially puns...you won't find the humor in them at all if you gotta read em. Squid Girl is totally useless subbed.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 12:57 am

Jarring wrote:
Humor...wit...puns.. it's all gotta be snappy.. instant digestion according to what you're seeing... especially puns...you won't find the humor in them at all if you gotta read em. Squid Girl is totally useless subbed.

It is a different type of skill, attention, and knowledge. Personally I prefer me some De geo in Ika Musume (Squid Girl).

A number of quite good comedies don't even get dubbed, so in particular work specifically because the language difference.

Jarring

30 Jul 2015, 2:32 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Jarring wrote:
Humor...wit...puns.. it's all gotta be snappy.. instant digestion according to what you're seeing... especially puns...you won't find the humor in them at all if you gotta read em. Squid Girl is totally useless subbed.

It is a different type of skill, attention, and knowledge. Personally I prefer me some De geo in Ika Musume (Squid Girl).

A number of quite good comedies don't even get dubbed, so in particular work specifically because the language difference.

deo what? i tried watching the second season before it was dubbed and i was just like.. NO...NOT WORTH IT. NOT YET. THE PUNS ARE NOT ADORABLE.

And yeah i know, i think a lot of that is because most of it/if not all is culture specific humor. There's always gonna be some culture humor thrown in comedy anime, but most of it is funny no matter where you're from.

I'm really hoping food wars gets dubbed, I really like to watch my comedies dubbed because I feel like I connect with the humor/wit more instantly via their voice and tone.

I suppose if you've been watching subbed forever, you'd be able to watch comedies fine...but i somehow still feel you might be missing something. I have friends that cannot watch some anime dubbed because they feel it's just too bad. One of them being Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi because of the bad southern accents.. But being a southerner myself(like him -_-), I found it hilarious.

If I can't watch it dubbed, I can't watch it subbed either. That's my motto.

The setup to this one(Ranma 1/2) is just genius...it doesn't get any better than this. Squid girl? You're adorable.
Ranma is cursed into being a girl when he touches cold water. Papa Panda... and many others.. only hot water saves them, but it ain't always easy.. just the... situational humor that sets you up for.. is.. godtier.
It's good subbed or dubbed i think.. It was my first manga..
loved it in the 90s, and still do. Same with slayers.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 3:31 am

De geso. It is apparently a squid pun and a verbal tic that the titular squid girl has. From what I understand it is largely the basis for translating a lot of her words into squid puns. There is actually an interesting part in the second season where the characters take a chance to learn some English from the American scientists, which Squid Girl picks up quickly.

Jarring wrote:
I have friends that cannot watch some anime dubbed because they feel it's just too bad. One of them being Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi because of the bad southern accents.. But being a southerner myself(like him -_-), I found it hilarious.

Abenobashi is an interesting case because there seems to be a consensus of translating the Osaka dialect (where the anime is set) into southern accents. An accent was similarly use for an Osaka character nicknamed "Osaka" in Azumanga Diaoh as a means to translate jokes over. Some copies of Azumanga Daioh (like my own) are notable for actually having a booklet that gives notes on cultural aspects to explain things a bit better.

I have actually became interested in both dub and sub, and there are some good work at putting in equivalents to be understood by those not familiar, but at what level is done can vary between projects, and although not too common you have people quote the "jelly filled donut" thing. And some of the hardest transitions can be music anime where character may suddenly start singing in a different language or even voice. Props to K-ON for what the English VAs do to sing the songs in Japanese, although a struggling thing in the movie which has the Japanese girls hang out in London with legit British accents in the Japanese tracks. And that is why something like the comedy Kin-iro Mosaic would struggle dubbed because it is all about the colliding of two cultures and languages. Oh but there was the recently dubbed Nobunagun which had a great way of giving the characters of different nationalities the fitting accent.

Jarring

30 Jul 2015, 4:07 am

Bradleigh wrote:
De geso. It is apparently a squid pun and a verbal tic that the titular squid girl has. From what I understand it is largely the basis for translating a lot of her words into squid puns. There is actually an interesting part in the second season where the characters take a chance to learn some English from the American scientists, which Squid Girl picks up quickly.
Jarring wrote:
I have friends that cannot watch some anime dubbed because they feel it's just too bad. One of them being Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi because of the bad southern accents.. But being a southerner myself(like him -_-), I found it hilarious.

Abenobashi is an interesting case because there seems to be a consensus of translating the Osaka dialect (where the anime is set) into southern accents. An accent was similarly use for an Osaka character nicknamed "Osaka" in Azumanga Diaoh as a means to translate jokes over. Some copies of Azumanga Daioh (like my own) are notable for actually having a booklet that gives notes on cultural aspects to explain things a bit better.

I have actually became interested in both dub and sub, and there are some good work at putting in equivalents to be understood by those not familiar, but at what level is done can vary between projects, and although not too common you have people quote the "jelly filled donut" thing. And some of the hardest transitions can be music anime where character may suddenly start singing in a different language or even voice. Props to K-ON for what the English VAs do to sing the songs in Japanese, although a struggling thing in the movie which has the Japanese girls hang out in London with legit British accents in the Japanese tracks. And that is why something like the comedy Kin-iro Mosaic would struggle dubbed because it is all about the colliding of two cultures and languages. Oh but there was the recently dubbed Nobunagun which had a great way of giving the characters of different nationalities the fitting accent.

don't get me wrong, i watch a lot of stuff that is subtitled.. "The Red Violin" is one of my favorite movies of all time and it's in 6 different languages i believe.. Also what you said about culture clash reminds me of a movie with jean renault that was pretty cool.. think it was called wasabi..

but if an anime has a dubbed version, i opt for that one ALWAYS.. a lot of times i wait to see if they are going to dub before watching something in subtitles.. but yeah i am forced to watch some in subtitles.. like the second season of magi(which i loved)... /shrug
Lol.. I've probably been watching anime longer than most otaku and weeaboo have been alive, but i doubt i'd ever be able to talk otaku with them to their extent. I just watch it.. I was subscribed to Animerica for awhile in the 90s but as far as trivia, i'm like, whatever... I've probably seen more japanese animation than american film altogether, but i seriously doubt I would pass any quiz. I know.. Kiefer Sutherland was a main voice actor in armitage the third.. umm.. i hear the same voices in dubbed anime ALL the time, and they HAVE gotten a lot better at it over the years...but I can't tell you their names. I know Lina Inverse(subbed) did the voice for pikachu(obviously)...even though I love the dubbed version so much better. I know Slayers was the first OVA I ever owned, and I thought it was hella better than DBZ when it was introduced here on cartoon network.. I also know Slayers was the most popular anime of the 90s and for a good reason. I also know the artist for ranma 1/2 is the most successful female comic book artist of all time...also for good reason. Oh yeah, I like some Utada Hikaru from time to time...and the Pillows are okay.. atleast, I loved their soundtrack in FLCL. If I keep doing this, I'd be going all night.. just random stuff I've liked from a long time ago.
Oh yeah, Cibo Matto is awesome. lol nothing to do with anime. At least Utada and the pillows and some affiliation...

Hell, my favorite band did the soundtrack to one of my favorite anime movies.
they did another soundtrack for a movie called Heaven's Door as well.. I never got around to seeing it, but I have the soundtrack lol

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2015, 2:21 pm

I recently watched Welcome to the NHK. I started watching it because it sounded like it would be more about conspiracy theories than it actually was. I expected it to be one of those shows where s**t hits the fan all of a sudden and things would get crazy but even though that never happened, I can't say I'm disappointed.

catherinewalker

17 Aug 2015, 3:36 am

Anime fan here!

sleepingpancake
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2015, 10:29 pm

used to watch bleach and naruto before....i like reading their mangas though

Mootoo
Veteran