Page 393 of 1290 [ 20634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396 ... 1290  Next

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 12:11 am

Feyokien wrote:
John Dies at the End
it was funny, really funny that they recycled the suits from Galaxy Quest for the end scene.

I saw the film first because I'm a big fan of Don Coscarelli and I loved it; I thought it was one of the most excitingly original films I had seen in many years, like a slapsticky version of 'Videodrome'. I immediately started reading the book and the more I loved the book the more flawed I saw the movie became as an adaptation. I still think the movie is great on its own and should be looked at on its own merits, but I highly recommend reading the book if you loved the characters, ideas and concepts in the film and would like to see them fleshed out and expanded upon, because the film got most of it pretty spot-on.

The only thing that bugs me about the film adaptation, though, is that the script excised the portion of the book where both the title makes any sense and the opening scene about the axe would come into play. It probably would have added an extra 45-60 minutes to the film, but without it, neither really makes any sense in context to the film as a whole.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 6:13 am

Mary, Queen of Scots

Film about the life of Mary Stuart, the last Catholic Queen of Scotland, her loves, and conflict with Queen Elizabeth of England.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2015, 12:34 pm

Class of Nuke 'Em High

Good fun. Sleaze, cheese, slapstick, vintage. Can't take it seriously. Beats the hell out of 80's horror films like Night of the Creeps. Troma release. If you like the original Toxic Avenger, you'll probably like this.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm

Stonehearst Asylum

A recent medical school grad who takes a position at a mental institution soon finds himslf attracted to one of the female patients, but all is not what is seems. . .

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm

SCALENE

I bought this from a vendor for five bucks. Amazon deleted it from prime a while back. I was just waiting for a good deal.

Watching CHILD OF GOD again when this came in the mail. I immediately turned it off and popped this in. Dark. Depraved mommy. Impeccable acting. If modern day romances make you feel irritated and left out, try this.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm

Unbroken

Although this was a well made movie, it was obvious throughout the movie that this was trying WAY TOO HARD to be worthy of Oscar nominations.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 8:10 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Unbroken

Although this was a well made movie, it was obvious throughout the movie that this was trying WAY TOO HARD to be worthy of Oscar nominations.

What is it about?

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 10:09 pm

Black Day, Blue Night

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 10:54 pm

Wolves.

Think Teen Wolf meets The Howling. Caydem, a high school jock, discovers he is a werewolf, nearly killing his date, then waking up at home to find both his parents dead and half eaten. Fleeing, he becomes a drifter, never getting close to anyone and trying to keep out of situations which might trigger the change. Along the way, he sees a TV report about him that maintains he had been adopted - a fact he had never known. Then he meets a hard case calling himself Wild Jack, who lets him on to the fact that he's also a werewolf, and that there were others like them in the town of Lupine Ridge, on the east coast. There, he finds the town living in fear of a psychotic bully named Conner (Jason Momoa) and his gang. To make matters worse, Caydem discovers that not only is Conner and his gang werewolves, but that Conner is also his father. Conner wants to mate with a local girl who is also a werewolf, and he feels threatened by the new comer. But are they all being manipulated from afar? A lot better than I had thought it would be.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 12:27 am

noodler wrote:
Class of Nuke 'Em High

Good fun. Sleaze, cheese, slapstick, vintage. Can't take it seriously. Beats the hell out of 80's horror films like Night of the Creeps. Troma release. If you like the original Toxic Avenger, you'll probably like this.

I worked for Troma, so you can probably guess what my opinions towards their movies are. As much as I love 'Nuke 'em High' - I just got a re-pressing of the soundtrack on vinyl last week - I must concede that 'Night of the Creeps' is a superior picture. Why you feel it isn't kind of baffles me, like saying, "yeah, 'Pacific Rim' is good and all, but it doesn't hold a candle to 'Robot Jox'".

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2015, 5:42 am

Skibz888 wrote:
noodler wrote:
Class of Nuke 'Em High

I worked for Troma, so you can probably guess what my opinions towards their movies are. As much as I love 'Nuke 'em High' - I just got a re-pressing of the soundtrack on vinyl last week - I must concede that 'Night of the Creeps' is a superior picture. Why you feel it isn't kind of baffles me, like saying, "yeah, 'Pacific Rim' is good and all, but it doesn't hold a candle to 'Robot Jox'".

Night of the Creeps bored me. I didn't finish watching it. So maybe it's unfair that I used it as a comparison. Too tame for my taste. I don't know anything about the other movies you mentioned.

That's awesome you worked for Troma. What did you do?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 6:09 am

Skibz888 wrote:
noodler wrote:
Class of Nuke 'Em High

I've heard that Troma has made some pretty crazy movies, but I've never seen any of them. I think it's cool that you've worked for them! :D What do you recommend for a Troma newbie?

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 6:35 am

Just watch guardians of the galaxy out of boredom...7/10. Pacing was a bit weird. Great movie for teenager/kids, but I'm definitely not in the movies demo, but I can see why the demo market would love the heck out of the movie, as I am certain a younger me would have had a blast. I noticed the movie has the themes of 'friendship conquers everything' you see it a lot in anime as well, and I'm guessing this is a comic adaption, so those two demographics are most likely very similar, and it's funny how those themes are evident even across cultures, but it's definitely a theme that teenagers and kids love, I am way too old and cynical for it though.

I thought the characters were great, they all had charm, the raccoon had moxie, the giant was lovable, the warrior's indignation was commendable, and the hero... the hero is just another normal guy in a jam, it's his job to give us someone to relate to.

I noticed that when the groot character stands beside the protagonist and considering what the protagonist is wearing and then the groots stature, the silhouettes are PRECISELY han/chewie. I know those two aren't a pair but the proportions look so remarkably similar that i figure that it must be homage.

[Spoilers ahead]

I didn't like how the antagonist lost in the end though, 'warrior villains' are aware of the precious seconds when they are near their triumph, that's precisely what makes them a warrior villain. I think the intellectual villain is the only one you could distract with words like that, warrior villains aren't ones for words, they are creatures of action, and those kinds of personalities will never make obvious blunders like that. Instead of 'what are you doing', the warrior villain would have struck the protagonist down without batting an eye, they are ruthless, quick, and cunning, the know the gravity of the situations demands quick and decisive action.

But I tend to forgive that because kids and teenagers would delight in that sort of outcome, as I say, I'm just not in the movies demo. If I was a film critic I would have scored it at about an 8/10, and recommended it because I'm sure the audience that loves comic books would love it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Unbroken

What is it about?

A man named Louis Zamperini who, along with his war buddy, was taken by the Japanese into a P-O-W camp during WWII. Had this movie been under a more capable director, this could have been a much better movie.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 5:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Unbroken

What is it about?

A man named Louis Zamperini who, along with his war buddy, was taken by the Japanese into a P-O-W camp during WWII. Had this movie been under a more capable director, this could have been a much better movie.

Okay, that jogged my memory.