Characters you can relate to. (NOTE INSIDE)

Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 6:45 am

Where to start?

As a child, it was characters like Donald Duck because he's hard to understand, his anger about everything isolates him and even though he can be vengeful, he's actually a good guy.

Also, Gonzo from The Muppets, because he can't relate to others (not even in his own dysfunctional social circle) and he considers himself an artist (even though people can't really understand his work).

That's all I can think of, so far.

Well, I guess Rorschach from Watchmen because of his strong sense of morality and his struggle to live up to his high expectations, but I'm not a conservative, I'm not a psychopath, I'm not a superhero, I'm not as talented or as intelligent or as cool as him.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 8:34 am

Dexter from Dexter - that bit about having to pretend to be accepted. I stopped it a few years ago and now people have to deal with me the way i am.

House from House MD - At times i have been uncomfortably frank and i speak as direct just like him. As for the sarcasm, he stole that from me :D

Lars from Lars and the real girl. I relate alot to the loneliness.

Martin Bishop from Sneakers. My parents were also married.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 2:01 pm

Olivia Dunham from Fringe. My mind's f**ked up and I like to wear black and dark colors all the time without going goth. Plus I have very poor patience with practically everything, I'm too serious and high-stressed, and I'm usually cold towards people with a sense of humor. Heh.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 3:25 pm

Homer Simpson - Love for food, quite lazy

SpongeBob SquarePants - Optimistic, friendly. (No, I'm not trying to make myself look really good, but I don't think I'm really mean to people, I try to stay friendly.)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

ardea_rising
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 May 2009, 9:59 pm

I find it hard to relate to anyone but the day today's Peter O'Hanarha-hanrahan has sprung to mind. I think it's his blank expression, disorganisation and incompetence that done it.

RedTatsu

11 Aug 2009, 8:05 am

The fictional character I can relate most to is Dib from Invader Zim. He's smart, creative, and has a very good heart, but people don't like him and don't listen to him because he's weird (he IS awfully weird, to tell the truth). The closest thing he has to a friend is his abusive little sister. I can relate to his situation a lot. :(

Now for a character completely different!
I can also relate to Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist (in the anime, not the manga). I get angry very easily, and when I get mad I have difficulty letting go of it. When I feel that I have been wronged somehow, I tend to run the situation through my head over and over again, so I get madder and madder. It's really not a good thing.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2009, 11:14 am

I'm androgynous inside, so there will be both women and men in my list:

Films:

Amelie in Amelie (when she was a child)
Mary Bennett in Pride and Prejudice (distrustful of mindless entertainment, questioning everything, socially awkward, always hoping to improve herself)

Oscar in Oscar and Lucinda (socially awkward, passions stirred by the intellectual more than the physical)
Walter Fane in the Painted Veil (quietly passionate, bookish, cynical, long temper fuse but holds grudges for life)
Jeffrey in The Lion in Winter (when it comes to practical matters, I can have a calculating/ruthless streak, extremely distrustful of family affection)

INTJ.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2009, 10:59 am

Let's see -
Dr. House
Monk
Rodney McKay
A Canadian series that wasn't on for very long - Bill Fearing from the show "The Fearing Mind." His imagination and the way stories just pop into his head reminds me so much of me. It starred a British-Dutch actor named Harry Van Gorkum.
Dr. Spencer Reid
The Doctor from, of course, Doctor Who
Sherlock Holmes

If I think of any more, I'll post them.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2009, 10:59 am

Sorry. Somehow it double-posted. Internet's been so slow, and my lack of patience is making me hit the ENTER button one too many times.

Anyway, Sheldon on Big Bang Theory. How could I forget him? I relate to him a lot. And Douglas Fargo on Eureka.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 6:43 am

Alex J. Murphy- Robocop
Rick Deckard- Blade Runner

sheppeyescapee
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2009, 8:11 am

Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory
JJ and Sid from Skins
Daniel Jackson from Stargate

:nerdy:

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2009, 10:09 am

Daniel Jackson. Yes, him too. I can relate.

I see a lot of people here relate to Sheldon. He seems VERY Aspie to me. Don't you agree?

tinmaiden
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2009, 4:56 pm

Edward Scissorhands, from the Tim Burton film.

Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen.

Data from Star Trek.

Dr. Susan Calvin from I, Robot

L from Death Note

Lisa from The Simpsons

The Iron Giant

Rachel from Blade Runner

Clementine from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Butters from South Park

Ivy from The Village

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

tinmaiden
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2009, 10:03 am

And Salad Fingers.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2009, 3:45 pm

In my younger days, before I suspected there might be something "officially" wrong with me, two of my favorite movies were "Beetlegeuse" and "Edward Scissorhands". I felt a connection with Edward and Lydia that I now realize was probably due to their aspishness. I notice these two characters have also been mentioned several times in this thread.
I also feel that Kryton from the British sci-fi series "Red Dwarf" is somewhat aspish. He's honest, hard-working, and enjoys repetitive tasks like ironing clothes. Also, he's a robot, so there's naturally some stiff body language. Rimmer, from the same show, is aspish in that he has a hard time getting along with others and he enjoys orderliness, hierarchies, and rules.
I think sci-fi shows in general tend to have a higher-than-average number of Aspie characters because sci-fi writers are themselves more likely to have aspish tendancies.

(My apologies if I've incorrectly spelled "Beetlegeuse". I can't be bothered to check.)

frag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 10:21 pm

I feel like Tom Ripley.

I wish I was more like House, Reid (Criminal Minds) and Tony (from Wire in the blood).