Page 41 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 93  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 9:30 pm

Mootoo wrote:

Shirobako was a surprisingly good anime, it started a bit rocky but I ended up giving it perfect marks for how it showed how anime is made. It was able to greatly redeem P.A. Works for how Glasslip turned out, and the stars being working adults really made the show.

Not entirely up to the same standard, but this season has also had an anime that has done fairly well at showing how voice actors/actresses do their job in Japan, Seiyuu Life (Sora ga Seiyuu). Gonzo has kind of fallen out of favour, especially compared to P.A Works, but they have made a pretty respectable anime, with cameos from actual VAs.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 6:30 pm

me!!

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 6:54 pm

Mootoo wrote:
http://www.moetube.net/anime/21918/red-data-girl is brilliant.

I felt that Red Data Girl ended up as largely a miss. It had some pretty promising stuff early on with all the mystery, an almost horror like feel, and I just did not know where it was going. The characters were actually pretty cool with how they were handled, but it felt kind of directionless.

I would put it among similar problems that have come with P.A.Works anime, along with Tari Tari which came right before it, and Glasslip that caused a big stir. They look really good, but I don't think the last half or so gives a satisfying conclusion. Actually, it has probably been a worry for the current airing Charlotte. Going off other P.A.Works anime I would probably attribute the horror like feel in places to Another.

This is just my opinion, you are free to like Red Data Girl and feel that it is a good show. I did quite enjoy parts of it.

Miffle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Sep 2015, 5:09 am

Huge anime and manga fan here! It's like my secret life haha, I stopped watching much the last 9 years since I met my husband but it's not something I can let go of so I revealed my otaku self to him (he laughed but is very accepting) and now I can watch again.
Bradleigh I see nozaki kun in your avatar, I'm totally loving that manga. And ranma 1/2! What a blast from the past. I'm also a purist who can't watch dubbed, it does my head in big time. So much doesn't make sense in English.
I'm 27 with two young autistic kids....time to grow up? Naaaaah!

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 8:36 am

Miffle wrote:
Bradleigh I see nozaki kun in your avatar, I'm totally loving that manga. And ranma 1/2! What a blast from the past. I'm also a purist who can't watch dubbed, it does my head in big time. So much doesn't make sense in English.
I'm 27 with two young autistic kids....time to grow up? Naaaaah!

Nozaki-kun quickly became a favourite series for me in how it plays with the formulae.

Wait, 27 is not much older than I am. Age should not be a factor, there are even recent shows of working adults like Servant x Service and Shirobako. On the Shoujo front there is currently great shows like Ore Monogatari, and Snow White with the Red Hair.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 1:56 am

Woo! Current anime season has been winding down, some rather interesting shows have actually come out this season.

My favourite has been School-Live! that I mentioned earlier it has been awesome, lots of hidden details with the slice of life melding with the horror genre. One particular interesting fact is how its OP song changed for a number of episodes, revealing its darker tone and some surprises. I did post the first episode's OP, and although I would love to put up the latest looking ones for a big differences, it would spoil a bunch of stuff. Well if you read my other posts from like months back and did not watch any of it, I might as well give away the secret revealed within the first episode, although it looks like a normal anime about school girls, it is actually about surviving the zombie apocalypse and what we see on the screen is not always what is the truth. It actually does a really good job playing around in the head of someone who can't see the truth.

Another fun show I have also quite enjoyed has been Actually I Am, a harem anime. I have been thinking that the sort of the shows get a bit stale, but this one actually has turned out quite well, with characters that are funny, specifically the heroine entertainingly a bit dopey rather than being supposedly perfect, which helps make her feel more human. Which is ironic in that the premise is albout twists about the characters (like being a vampire). (still waiting for last episode)

Another good one has been Snow White with the Red Hair, an awesome shoujo anime from the season. Unlike a number of other shoujo heroines, Shirayuki is a really strong character, that is not in the fighting prowess way, but that she is an independent woman who can do a lot in her chosen field (herbalism), if in a bind she can do some things and does not back down, but also accept help if need be. She is kind of like a missing Disney princess, the show starting with showing that she actually cares more about practicality to looking pretty. And her prince is a great guy too.

Next, Monster Musume, another harem anime, but the girls are far from the usual type. The girls are all various monsters, a lamia, a harpy, a centaur, a slime, a mermaid, and even an arachnea (spider girl in the literal sense). Going further there are also a zombie, an oni, an cyclops, and an doppelganger, what is kind of cool is how the show kind of focuses on some of the problems of these monster girls suddenly coexisting in a human world. It is an ecchi show, so it is not for everyone, but I found it fun.

Next I will talk about Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist, now it is kind of being another ecchi show right after the above one, but this is kind of fun for different reasons. It is in a world where censorship has kind of gone too far in banning anything elicit until High School students have become ignorant of anything reproductive related, in the main character wants to change that and do a bunch of dirty jokes. It might look as ways just to throw in a bunch of dirty jokes, some nudity or obscene things, but there is actually something strangely smart about it, and also funny. I won't put up a video of it, this one is not for kids, but I will say one of its funniest type of gags and interesting points comes from the mere shock of playing around that women can also be the dangerous ones.

The next one could be easier to watch by different audiences, that is Himouto Umaru-chan. An anime about a supposedly perfect high school girl, who as soon as she comes home changes gears into a lazy spoilt girl who gets her brother to do things for her, demonstrated by her character design changing into a chibi. Kind of makes her sound like a bad person, but although you might think about her at times, there is a heart there to her and the show in general, it can be very funny and make you care about it. Also one of the best OP songs of the season.

And another would be Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers. While at first it looks like a standard action anime, it kind of twists this around with actually spending most of the time on a mystery as the heroes are trying to figure out a problem they have run into on the way to beat the demon king. What might sound like a concept that does not belong, actually makes it a very interesting anime where you explore the interesting characters with some great moments. And best of all if you pay attention all the pieces for figuring out the mystery are in the show, which made some interesting discussion.

Overlord particularly got my attention early on, set where the lead character is in the last moments of a VRMMO as his character pf a skeleton overlord of his old guild, before after it is shut down he is seemingly in a world where it is all real. Now being his character he feels out that his guild's NPCs are real and tries to understand the situation with his role as an overlord. It has actually been a bit of a disappointment in being a bit too slow, but it has had a couple of stand out moments, my favourite has been the voice of one of the villains. It gets a bit gruesome too.

Oh, I almost forgot about GATE, it has been quite good. A gate from a fantasy world opened up and people came through and attacked Japan, they did quite a bit of damage before modern weapons came in and tore them to pieces. Japan then sends the Japanese Self Defence Force in to stop further attacks and work out some peace, from there we get a look at the difference between modern and fantasy middle ages like societies. I think one of the coolest bits is how the army is shown, there are a lot of people killed largely from fantasy bravado throwing themselves at the strength of modern weapons, but the army also tries to help like with refugees.

Miffle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Sep 2015, 7:56 am

This subject needs a new thread, it looks intimidating to newbies (myself) to try and enter a 30 page conversation

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 10:35 am

Do Naussicca of the Valley of the Wind, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and the FFVII movie count? Speaking of which, did you guys know that Naussicca was originally a character in Homer's Odyssey?

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Miffle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Sep 2015, 2:16 pm

Of course! I love studio ghibli, if you like those you might like other animes :) have you ever tried watching any other classics? It's a fun hobby!

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm

What sort of classics do you mean, Miffle? Any suggestions? [I'm kind of bias when it comes to anime. I usually assume that the manga is better, just like how I think that the books are always better than the movie versions], but I have been proven wrong before. I've never seen The Cat Returns; is it good? I did see Whisper of the Heart, but was kind of disappointed that it didn't have a lot of fantasy elements to it. Then again, I like fantasy in pretty much anything, so one of my catchphrases is 'have fantasy, will travel.'

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Miffle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Sep 2015, 1:41 am

Tbh I guess I can see where you're coming from as more often than not I prefer the manga, not to mention the fact that it's more convenient to read manga than watch anime as you can sort of pick it up and put it down or read when someone else is using the telly. I have the cat returns on dvd and i did enjoy it, it's much heavier on fantasy than whisper of the heart. I did actualgly prefer whisper of the heart but I am a shoujo manga fan so it was more my type of thing! Have you read death note? I haven't but the anime is good. I don't think that we like the same genres but I'll try and think of some if i can! Studio ghibli actually have a few good films and a lot of them are based on books rather than mangas so they're def worth watching. Howls moving castle was enjoyable, so was princess mononoke. A good recent film was wolf children (manga ookami kodomo) and that was very faithful to the manga.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm

I've never seen Princess Mononoke, even though I actually have it on DVD. :oops:
I'm not a fan of Death Note mainly because it's too grim for my liking and I prefer heroes with good morals.
I've never heard of wolf children; I'll see if I can watch it on Youtube.

Miffle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Sep 2015, 3:32 pm

To me the hero of death note is L who is awesome :D you probably wont be able to watch wolf children on youtube, i had to buy it but i really wanted to watch it as i loved the manga, especially as i have two toddlers! The girl who leapt through time is also meant to be good but I confess I haven't seen it!

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 4:44 pm

I at least managed to find clips of Wolf Children on Youtube. Those two kids are adorable!
Don't worry, I've never seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time either.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 5:08 am

Along with Wolf Children it is probably recommended to check out the movies done by the same company and director, that is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Summer Wars, which is his two earlier works. If you are aware of it, the guy also worked on the Digimon movie, which was pretty cool.

I also recently watched Patema Inverted.