Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mike777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2009, 12:56 pm

Are there any fans of Mad Max, The Postman, The Day After, Threads, etc.?
Tell me how did you become a fan of the genre and what movies/games/books do you like the most.
Personally, I've became interested in PA after playing first Fallout games somewhere in the late 90s. I find it fascinating to see how a globar war may break out and how would mankind deal with it and its aftermath. Well, I hope we won't end up like this.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 1:16 pm

I guess I enjoy some post-apocolyptic stuff. An anime I finished recently which is set post apocolyptic, called Gurren Lagann I have quite enjoyed, but they have been for it's other themes and probably simular story with The Matrix movies. Fallout 3 is a good game and I enjoyed the theme more then I thought I would, simulary I enjoyed Resident Evil: Extinction.

I probably have only been likeing them reccently, I havent had much exposure to them, but like other things I plan to watch more of different genres.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:21 pm

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller is generally considered the best post-apocolyptic novel and I'm inclined to agree. The genre is so often cliché but this stands out as something very unique.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2009, 2:31 pm

Although I'm not really a fan of post-apocalyptic films, one of my favorite films of all time is Quiet Earth. It made me think so much about what it means to be alone...and losing people and your life and what it really means to not have anyone.

Has anyone seen it?

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Dec 2009, 2:46 pm

More so in the past, but yes, a couple of my favourites are the films "The Day After Tomorrow", and "Twenty-eight Days Later", and the books "The Changes" ( trilogy ) by Peter Dickinson, and "The Day of the Triffids", "The Kraken Awakes" and "The Chrysallids" by John Wyndham. I also like Asimov's short story "Nightfall", and some other sci-fi on the same theme. "Terminator" is sort of PA too, and I think the first one is very good.

Is Akira PA? And Final Fantasy? I like those too. :D Also "Avalon" but not sure if counts as PA.

JSchoolboy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2009, 4:03 pm

oppositedirection wrote:
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller is generally considered the best post-apocolyptic novel and I'm inclined to agree. The genre is so often cliché but this stands out as something very unique.

That book is very good indeed. To say almost anything about the story would be a spoiler, so I'll just say this: the ending is one of the most memorable things I have ever read.

JSchoolboy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2009, 4:06 pm

ouinon wrote:
More so in the past, but yes, a couple of my favourites are the films "The Day After Tomorrow", and "Twenty-eight Days Later", and the books "The Changes" ( trilogy ) by Peter Dickinson, and "The Day of the Triffids", "The Kraken Awakes" and "The Chrysallids" by John Wyndham. I also like Asimov's short story "Nightfall", and some other sci-fi on the same theme. "Terminator" is sort of PA too, and I think the first one is very good.

Is Akira PA? And Final Fantasy? I like those too. :D Also "Avalon" but not sure if counts as PA.

"Day of the Triffids" is excellent. What's even better than reading it is listening to the unabridged reading that BBC Radio 7 re-plays from time to time. The great thing is that you don't have to tune in at a specific time. They have a "listen again" feature on the web that lets you listen for a week after the broadcast.

JSchoolboy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2009, 4:22 pm

Mike777 wrote:
Are there any fans of Mad Max, The Postman, The Day After, Threads, etc.?
Tell me how did you become a fan of the genre and what movies/games/books do you like the most.
Personally, I've became interested in PA after playing first Fallout games somewhere in the late 90s. I find it fascinating to see how a globar war may break out and how would mankind deal with it and its aftermath. Well, I hope we won't end up like this.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s, toward the end of the Cold War era. I've always thought that my enjoyment of PA movies, literature, etc. comes, at least in part, from living in a time when global nuclear war was a possiblity we were forced to confront all too often. There was some comfort to be had in the thought that there could be some kind of "after", at all.

I like the movies Omega Man, Planet of the Apes (the whole series), Road Warrior, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. There is a black-and-white, French movie called Le Dernier Combat ("The Last Battle") that is quite good if you can find it. Soylent Green is another good one, although I don't know if it's technically PA.

Since I was a kid, I've played the "Gamma World" role-playing game, which is a kind of PA D&D mixed with 1950s B-movie science. No computer or video games though - I just don't have the time.

I've read too many PA books to list them all, and other folks have already listed some classics. I'll post more if I think of them. :-)

JSB

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 10:05 pm

I suppose my post-apocalyptic interest started with the game Fallout and Fallout 2.

I got into survivalism and learned that what we consider to be the worst thing that could happen (nuclear war) is actually very survivable if you know what to do and manage to survive the initial attack.

Since I see humanity having an ingrained self-destructive tendency, the idea of how society would rebuild after such an event just fascinates me.

Movies and TV shows, to this end, are interesting to see what perspective the writer has. After all, fiction often acts as prophecy for what life ultimately does in the long term.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 11:56 pm

I like 'em from time to time. A current series is by Stirling; A Meeting in Corvallis, Scourge of God, etc. It's called the Change Series, I think.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 1:47 pm

Yes this genre fascinates me. Particularly how the people survive. A read a fantasy trilogy a couple of years ago "The Genesis of Shannara" which were good but the first is probably the best.
I like apocalyptic films as well like "The day after tommorrow".

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 1:50 pm

I am Legend, Dawn of the dead, day after, etc, i like all those movies. Children of men as well? and the 28 days later films.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 2:26 pm

I didn't like the sequel to 28 days later...not compared to the first film anyway.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 4:45 pm

I quite like it, really looking forward to The Road.

FeralAspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Dec 2009, 6:07 pm

The Post Apocalyptic is one my one constant favourite subject throughout my life. I try to escape it now and then but it always returns :)

I'm pretty certain there is a strong Aspergers base as to why it interests me so. The fantasy of the dominant culture collapsing meaning I no longer had to fit into it is so appealing and I know I has these sort of thoughts as a young child.

I was a teenager throughout the 1980's and there was a strong anti-nuclear politics at the time and plenty of real life doomsday scenarios and it was that that truly entrenched the PA in my life. Added to that was a book we read in high School called "Z for Zacharia" which got me right into PA literature.

Off the top of my head:
Best Movies / TV:
Children of Men
BBC Day of the Triffids series

Best Books that come to mind (I've read so many):
The Road by Cormack McCarthy
Earth Abides by George Stewart
Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling (haven't read the rest of the trilogy yet but will soon)
Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
1984 by Orwell
Brave New World by Huxley
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K. Dick
The Postman by David Brin

My preference is usually for near future books as it make sit all feel more real rather than fantasy. For a long time I was right into reading non-fiction equivalents on peak oil, climate change etc.

Reading at the moment: Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 9:20 pm

My absolute favorite movies involve the systematic destruction of mankind, especially when they're done well. I like the dark tones and the true nature that it exposes in people. No BS metaphorical masks that they always wear in normal society, but their true selves.