Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 1:02 pm

did anybody else watch the IT crowd (channel four) on friday / saturday night?

i thought it was one of the funniest comedy shows that i've seen in a while. the best character being moss (the aspie), of course.

here is a description of the character moss from channel four's website:

Quote:
Moss lives with his mum, who also dresses him, styles his hair and buys his clothes. He's highly intelligent, scared of spiders and has the social skills of a serial killer. The closest he's got to a woman is Lara Croft, and he struggles to communicate with anything that doesn't have a keyboard.

the next episode is on friday at 9:30pm (brits only, i'm afraid).

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2006, 2:56 pm

I watched it on Friday too, and I really liked it.

(Hey, hecate, we have something in common. :mrgreen: )

Maybe I was just feeling particularly cheerful because I've just been granted 4 months leave from work. :P

I used to love Father Ted though, and that was co-written by Graham Linehan, the same guy who wrote The IT crowd.
I read an interview with Graham Linehan recently, and he said that with The IT crowd he wanted to create something quite gentle and conventional, because so much comedy these days tries too hard to be subversive.
Funnily enough, on channel 5 at the same time as The IT Crowd was another one of those countdown programmes: The 50 Most Shocking Comedy Moments. I watched the end of the countdown after The IT Crowd had finished, and most of the clips I saw left me quite unamused. Yet most of the clips were the sort of thing I would have cracked up at when I was 18 or so.

I thinkI prefer gentler stuff like The IT Crowd these days.
I guess presenting a couple of IT workers as nerds is not exactly original, but probably not inaccurate.

Does anyone else in here suffer from "hot ear"? :)

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 5:32 pm

Klytus wrote:
Hey, hecate, we have something in common. :mrgreen:

would you think i was being too hasty if i said that i've already sent out the wedding invitations? 8)

i love father ted too, but i'm suprised that graham lineham described the IT crowd as gentle- i thought the bit about the two characters going to a fairground with two prostitutes was fairly shocking.

Klytus wrote:
Does anyone else in here suffer from "hot ear"? :)

LOL. my favourite bit was where they made the fire look like it was a screen-saver.

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2006, 6:29 pm

In the Radio Times it got a bad review but even so I meant to watch it to see for myself, annoyingly forgot about it. Is Moss the one with the glasses and the stupid shirt?

Quote:
Maybe I was just feeling particularly cheerful because I've just been granted 4 months leave from work.

Brilliant! :!:

psych
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 8:10 pm

www.uknova.com might be worth a (legal) download...

I noticed in the trailers one of them was in 'the mighty boosh' & 'nathan barley', so if its anywhere close to that standard ill be very entertained for the next hour or so 8)

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2006, 4:53 am

Oh Moss is full of hilarity. I really loved the bit in the last episode with 'Richmond' and Moss began to say something like; "Richmonds out of his room, why is he out of his room? He shouldn't be out of his room."
Also the bit with Roy under the desk and Moss said "Roy's not a desk rabit he's my best friend."

alex
Developer
Developer

21 Feb 2006, 8:26 am

i watched that show. it was hilarious.

Fiat_Lux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2006, 12:24 pm

I’ve not seen the programme, so I can’t comment about it specifically. I will try to catch the next episode. I do agree that British comedy does seem to trying too hard. Maybe it’s the result of trying to match US comedy in wit, zest and sheer quality?

Klytus wrote:
I guess presenting a couple of IT workers as nerds is not exactly original, but probably not inaccurate.

I’m interested in how and where this notion came about. Most of the people that I’ve met over the years in IT do not seem to conform to the stereotype of the socially maladjusted individual (my AS notwithstanding). Many of them were outstanding professionals. Of course, other people in the IT discipline may have contrary experiences to mine. Maybe it’s an example of how, once such ideas are put forward in popular culture and become accepted by the majority, they become taken as fact? This isn’t meant as a criticism, merely an observation.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 1:51 pm

Fiat_Lux wrote:
Maybe it’s the result of trying to match US comedy in wit, zest and sheer quality?

*splutters*

americans can't even spell "humour" properly! 8)

i'm afraid that this is where i'm going to have to get all patriotic on you! :lol: british comedy is the greatest comedy in the world! blackadder is british- i think that proves my point!

i do like some US comedy shows but i think that the type of humour in the league of gentlemen, for example, would be lost on an american audience.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2006, 3:17 pm

As a fan of 'britcoms' myself, I might give this one a go if you're so enthusiastic about it. If it's a success, I'm pretty sure one of the commercial channels here will pick it up, as they do with many tv- (be it cult)hits.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2006, 6:44 pm

Quote:
I do agree that British comedy does seem to trying too hard. Maybe it’s the result of trying to match US comedy in wit, zest and sheer quality?

- with gems like that you should try writing a sitcom! :lol:

This is golden era for british comedy, sadly 'The IT Crowd' doesnt make the grade imo. Not even close. It has its moments and the aspie references are a nice touch, but for me its only hitting the spot about 1/2 the time.

Episode 4 was quite good, with quality lines from Noel Fielding, Chris Morris & Richard Ayoade. But theyve all been in MUCH better 'laugh a minute' shows (the Mighty Boosh, Brass Eye, Nathan Barley)