Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 11:02 pm

I know this might sound weird, but I just now realized that I only enjoy movies that were made during the early and late 90's. Nearly every movie I own is from that era, and any time I try to watch movies from before or after that era I just don't find them entertaining (except for a couple).

I was born in 1990 so my entire childhood lasted pretty much through that entire era. Some of my all-time favorite movies include The Addams Family and Addams Family Values, the Tom Savini remake of Night of the Living Dead, The Craft, Bride of Chucky, Antz, Scooby Doo on Zombie Island, Home Alone and Home Alone 2, etc.

Maybe it's because these movies bring back fond childhood memories? Or maybe there's just something I find more appealing about the 90's era? The 90's seemed like a better time to live compared to now because we weren't as worried about things like terrorism or war like we are today. The late 90's was also a fairly modern time where the internet and cellphones were first introduced to the world, but the era still had some of the awesomeness of the 80's in it. So it was like an era that kept some of the good stuff from the 80's and got rid of all the bad stuff.

Does anyone else tend to only favor movies from a specific era like I do?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 12:15 am

The better things are economically, the better entertainment is. Entertainment was best in the 60's, 80's, and 90's. The 70's wasn't as good, but neither was the economy. Wrestling was best in the 60's, 80's, and 90's, music was better in the 60's, 80's, and 90's, movies, TV shows, everything. Think of all the greatest bands. How many of them started in the 70's versus the 60's and the 80's and 90's?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 12:44 am

You must think Star Wars: Episode I is the best movie in the series. lol

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 7:03 am

Mindslave wrote:
The better things are economically, the better entertainment is. Entertainment was best in the 60's, 80's, and 90's. The 70's wasn't as good, but neither was the economy. Wrestling was best in the 60's, 80's, and 90's, music was better in the 60's, 80's, and 90's, movies, TV shows, everything. Think of all the greatest bands. How many of them started in the 70's versus the 60's and the 80's and 90's?

I'm not sure I agree with that. Music has often grown out of poverty and misery. For example, protest songs, Blues, Country, and folk music. Songs making political, class, social commentary. Plus the 70s had some great music, especially if you liked soft/hard/prog/glam rock bands, heavy metal, disco, new wave, punk..

Filmwise, I haven't really analysed this in detail, but some of my favourite films - Star Wars episode IV, Jaws, The Exorcist, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Superman come to mind as being great films made in the 70s. I also enjoyed films such as Airport, The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, and other disaster type thrillers. Not to mention other films I didn't like so much, but were very successful, such as The Godfather, A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver...
Anyway I could go on, but I think there were many very successful films during this decade. Maybe it's just a matter of taste, or what you grew up with. I didn't mean this to become a great defense of the 1970s. :)

And yes, to the OP, I think the films we particularly feel a certain connection to are those we grew up with. My favourite films are all from the late 70s and early to mid 80s. I like many others, but I feel bonded to those of my childhood in a different way.

SPKx
Toucan
Toucan

04 May 2011, 7:10 am

The bulk of the movies I own were from the last decade, though I do have some classics (and not so classics)

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 3:54 pm

My top 10 favourite movies from the 90's are probably:
10) Aladdin (1992)
9) Star Trek First Contact (1996)
8) South Park Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999)
7) The Lion King (1994)
6) The Matrix (1999)
5) Jurassic Park (1993)
4) Toy Story (1995)
3) Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991)
2) The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
1) Toy Story 2 (1999)

Most of these movies I didn't see for the first time in the 90's