Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 10:45 am

I hate Star Trek II.

Here's a couple of many reasons why:

The argument between Spock and McCoy seemed so fake and forced. It was like the scene was written at the last minute and a hasty change had to be made to the scene when if flowed to naturally and they needed some back and fourth tension between them.

Here's something else:

take a look at this pic and tell me if you see anything unusual about it
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albu ... ok0369.jpg
(hint: it's not about the woman)

If you got it, why would they do that? It surely didn't save any money because in those days, CG was very, VERY expensive. It would have been simpler and cheaper to make a practical prop.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

The argument between Spock and McCoy in Kirk's quarters was actually supposed to go on for several more lines, making McCoy's outburst at the end more organic. Check out the novelization (which also includes a dropped subplot about Saavik's origin, and about her developing feelings for Midshipman Preston - I really wish they'd kept that in, because I loved the scene with her hearing about Preston's death, then going into a conference room, ripping a chair from its moorings, and throwing it against the opposite wall).

No, if you're going to hate a Star Trek movie, save it for for the fifth one, with Scotty hitting his head because he just doesn't understand the layout of the ship he's spent so many years on, the Trio flying past Deck 29 in a turbolift shaft (after earlier dialog specifying there are only 27 decks - similar to a goof in First Contact), people falling under Sybok's hypnotic control just because he made them feel better about some one particular traumatic event in their past, and in general dialog and acting that belonged in a grade-school production, not a major Hollywood film. Had it been an original film, or any lesser franchise than Star Trek, that movie might well have sunk the whole thing permanently.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 12:30 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

The shadows are not realistic.

hadrian_f
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2011, 2:17 pm

I must say I really liked II, it nicely wrapped up a storyline from TOS.

I agree DeaconBlues, save the hating for V, which I don't consider part of the canon. Same goes for the ridiculous reboot, there was just too much wrong about that movie that it cannot be put back together. Ugly ship, ugly bridge, no-one gets from cadet to captain in less than a month, you'd be happy if you made lieutenant JG. Supernovas don't destroy entire clusters of stars, and NO-ONE touches Vulcan.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 2:17 pm

I don't think Star Trek V was that bad although it's the weakest of the 11 films. I own all the Star Trek movies on blu-ray disc by the way. :)

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 3:06 pm

I'm glad Preston was mentioned because that's another nit I'd like to pick.

Preston - Scotty's nephew was wounded during the battle with the Reliant and...brought to the bridge and not sickbay? Scotty wasted precious minutes bringing Peter to the bridge to show Kirk what's been done instead of bringing him to sickbay where those minutes could have mattered.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm

the hassle i've had with tos and tos movies has been the uniforms. suck.

i thought the newest s.t. movie was ok. not so okay was leaving out the birth of spock. what a silly move. glad they put it on the disc.

does anyone know what the plot of the second film is going to be?

side note, chekov is going to play odd thomas, the dean koontz character. not a good choice, i think.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 11:23 pm

Star Trek jumped the shark (or did they nuke the fridge?) when they made the whale movie (The Voyage Home - 1986).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 12:59 am

Trek II and First Contact are the only Treks that I can stand.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 8:06 am

TMP was awesome if a little slow.
2 sucked ass
3 was fun
4 was fun and funny
5 sucked but was fun
6 was just okay.

Generations was okay
First Contact was awesome
Insurrection was nice if a little sucky (the aliens)
Nemesis was awesome if not a little sucky with the B4 and Data's death subplot.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 8:07 am

OddFinn wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:

The shadows are not realistic.

They're CG. The same CG they used for The Last Starfighter. I just don't know why those controls aren't practical.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

you mean the control panels to the left and right are the same panel but merely flipped 180 degrees? :P

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

I hated when they got rid of the extremely short uniforms for the female crew.
Deeana Troi had worn a very short uniform - minus nylons no less(!) - in the first episode of STNG, but then the next show, she's got one of those damn unitards on, just like everyone else! :x

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 9:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I hated when they got rid of the extremely short uniforms for the female crew.
Deeana Troi had worn a very short uniform - minus nylons no less(!) - in the first episode of STNG, but then the next show, she's got one of those damn unitards on, just like everyone else! :x

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

On the plus side, her unitard, not being uniform, did have that deep V-neck... ;)

For that matter, when they put her in a standard uniform, she filled that out pretty well too, I thought!

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

people were all up in arms over there being conduits in the jeffries tube that had bulkheads going through them in TFF but failed to notice the huge door coming down dividing the warp core in two in TWOK.