Mozart and the whale FINALLY officially released on DVD!! !

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

voss749
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2006, 4:54 pm

Apparently December 12th is the day...its listed on Amazon with December 12 as the release date
and they are taking pre-orders. They are showing a new dvd cover that looks great.

Guys dont feel bad that you didnt get to see it in theatres, its getting a great release date.
Its hitting store shelves two weeks before christmas which means higher initial sales
and people buying it as christmas gifts.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 6:13 pm

YES!! !

01 Dec 2006, 9:26 pm

I am definitly getting it. I wish it had extras on it like outtakes, deleted scenes, audio commentary, the making of it, etc. But having the DVD is better than not having the region one DVD.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 2:11 am

This has been waiting on my netflix list for a while now.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 4:25 am

Got it. It's been out for quite some time here.

At first I wasn't sure I wanted to see, (Not into love story dramas) but I saw a review on AFF and they said it was good. So I got it out overnight. And then I bought.

voss749
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2006, 9:40 am

Its been out elsewhere for a while...but this is a new release for the US

Hans_Solo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2006, 3:33 am

Surprisingly good film.
Been out for some time on region 4 ( ~ reg. 2 compatible) DVD. I got it imported from Australia.
If anybody is interested, this site has a scan of the cover which lists the specs of *that* version:

http://www.axelmusic.dk/productDetails/9398710442199

Edit: Link

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2006, 4:33 pm

I just got it on Saturday, but I had no idea that it would be released on DVD so I was a little over excited when I saw it at Target. :D (I still wonder if I freaked anyone out). I was a bit disappointed that they did not have the trailer included, as I like to watch those occasionally.

Yakko: We'd love to stay here and count our brain cells as they die one-by-one.
Dot: But we can't.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 2:02 am

I've been curious about this movie for awhile now...it's in my Netflix queue also. :)

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 3:00 pm

After anticipating this movie for SO long I finally got my hands on a copy last night. My NT husband and I sat down to watch it.

I can honestly say I'm totally torn in half over this movie. Half of me liked it and half of me really did not.

They made the Aspie people seem like such freaks. And to be surrounded by lower functioning autistic people made it more so.

What did I like about it - my husband was able to pick out things that are me. I liked Donald's house, his reaction to Izzy cleaning it (OH MY GOD how awful would THAT be?) and her meltdown over the clanging of metal.

I liked her INTENSE focus when she listened to people talk - I have that. Where I focus on someone so hard they think I'm in love with them or something. Having trouble with boundaries in general just makes that even harder, which she also seemed to have.

The love of animals I understood perfectly and that was right but why all the birds? I realize everyone is interested in different things - I just thought more average pets would have served the same point. Several dogs, cats, hamsters, mice, etc.

What would I have liked to see in this movie?

I would like to have seen the genius in these people (which they did show) but the inability to use the genius for any real purpose like a paying job. At first they did that, with Donald and the cab, but when he got his job all of that just vanished somehow. How? He put on a suit and got all normal.

They showed him being ready 9 hours early for the date in the mall, but then being late and then talking himself out of going. In my experience that is really common. They should have shown him being 3 hours early for work but getting side tracked with something he got focused on then finding himself a hour late for work instead. Being up all night. Being hyper sensitive to sounds, overwhelmed with stimulus, etc. Only the clanging metal did it for Izzy. The meltdown I understood but not why there weren't more of them.

Why they were comfortable in big areas with tons of people. I guess some are but too much noise, too much stimulus, usually those are not comfortable places.

The love story was strained, the call/don't call game was silly to me.

My NT husband liked it alot and said it was a very good movie and the actors did exceptional good jobs.

:> earthmom

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 5:13 pm

I saw it and loved it. Could indentify with some of the things in the movie, and others not so much. I was stimming for about a half hour afterwards, seriously. :roll:

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2006, 9:50 pm

I liked the fact that Isabel has one of those rocking horse things. What's funny is that a lot of viewers on the spectrum will probably see it and think "what a good idea!" (or was that only me?! :?) whereas most of the NT viewers will probably be thinking "why on earth does she have one of those?"

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2006, 4:12 am

As a follow up to my opinion about Mozart and The Whale - I watched it again tonight, alone, but with the writer's commentary on. Ah HA!

If any of you didn't really like the movie - put on the commentary and watch it again. It's pretty ironic that a movie with Aspie leads is all about relationship stuff. That's something most Aspies don't get or misinterpret. I'm guilty of that.

With the writer's commentary on there is literally someone going through the movie with you and explaining what that look and those motions and that hint all mean. And it makes more sense!!

This time through I loved it. Funny, huh?

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2006, 3:59 pm

I had to correct Wackipedia again about MATW. It is NOT going to be at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007. It is amazing that anyone would post something so silly: If your film doesn't get a theater distributor and goes to DVD, it doesn't stand a chance of getting into a festival like Sundance.

Jerry Newport aka The Whale

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 8:39 pm

Why not? It seems like just the right film to end up in film festivals.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 10:23 pm

Not after it has already come out on DVD, ping.

Jerry - it is an excellent movie. I bet you are really thrilled with it. Were there any parts that you would change if you could?

I have watched it again since I posted and I like it more every time. Funny that I had to let it grow on me, or understand it more first.

I love Isabelle.