Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 4:17 am

This topic is where we post movies that we enjoyed even though they got negative reviews.

Recently I watched two obscure Johnny Depp movies, one called "Nick of Time" and the other called "The Astronaut's Wife". I admit that they weren't his best work - when I tried thinking of any memorable scenes in Nick of Time, I drew a blank; and when I looked up Astronaut's Wife on IMDB it was called "a worse science-fiction movie than Plan 9 from Outer Space".

But despite their lack of charm, I found that I actually liked them. For me, these movies are what my brother and I like to refer to as "comfort movies" - movies that just help you relax/are fun to watch even if they're not that great.

Some of my brother's "comfort movies" include "Anaconda" and "Primal Force". Similar to my enjoyment of Nick of Time and Astronaut's Wife just because of Johnny Depp, my brother likes Primal Force just because of Ron Perlman.

So what are your favorite bad movies?

PS - And yes, I realize that it's very fitting that I'm currently using an avatar of (the Johnny Depp portrayal of) Ed Wood.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 6:56 am

Dawn of the dead, I watched it with Rabbit last month and it was the lamest thing I've ever seen. Hilarious though, especially the theme tune.
The Lizzie Mcguire movie, it's your typical kiddie's chick flick and if I saw it the first time today I would cringe. I first saw it when I was about 11 or so and pretty much loved it, and it makes me happy now.
Crossroads (the Britney Spears film) it's a fun film!

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 10:16 am

Mnemonic Johnny I think it's called, an early Keanu Reeves film with ll cool j or someone like that.. Gotta loop it through Jones lol

Does robocop 3 count? Lol I know what's meant here but I kinda figure if I enjoy it at all it must have some merit. But yea there's quite a few that would likely be considered pretty bad that I still enjoy.

One awful movie I didn't get to see before I lost the collection was "I bought a vampire motorcycle" with Neil morrissey (sp?) But I have it on good authority that it's so bad it's good. Dad saw it, has a similar sense of such things.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 May 2012, 12:41 pm

Pretty much anything with Nicolas Cage in it

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 12:46 pm

The Blod or anything Ed Wood directed.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 11:31 pm

I have a friend who likes Howard the Duck.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 2:29 am

I enjoyed The Cat in the hat even though it had a bad review.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 9:09 am

Have watched quite a few B-movies on Netflix with friends. Pervert! and the 4 different Toxic Avenger movies were fun. Since Kabuki Man was such an awesome character in the 4th, the actual movie he had on his own was a bit of a disappointment.

I'm not sure if I'd call it bad, exactly, since I think it did have more of a meaning than most others and was good because of how ridiculous it was, but I guess I could put Rubber in here since my friends didn't seem to "get it".

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 9:11 am

This one probably doesn't count but The Boondock Saints, 13% on rotten tomatoes!
The Room, 3rd worst movie of all time

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2012, 10:14 am

But the Boondock Saints films are awesome ! ! :(

This goes to strengthening why I never read film reviews. (So I don't know if the following have got poor ratings..)

As for the topic I absolutely love any cheesy B (or what I see as cheesy B's) from the 80s, things like "Brain Damage","The Stuff", "Street Trash", "FrankenHooker","Bad Taste" to name but a few. Anything that others would consider utter sh**, but to me they have a certain charm that the constantly piped mainstream tripe just doesn't even contend with.

Yes they may have poor budgets, bad acting etc. But the originality of some of them is simply genius.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 10:18 am

I heard the second one is awful and I shouldn't watch it, first one is great though

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2012, 11:04 am

The second one is i'd say on par with the first, William Defoe is replaced by the woman who plays Rita in Dexter (She looks hot as hell throughout)

Clifton Collins Jr. replaces Rocco as Romeo as sort of the third wheel, who's equally as funny especially when hes coming up with his "Catchphrase" XD

The story is a bit meh but the hilarity easy brushes over it.

There's too much to really mention tho, if you found the first one funny/entertaining then you should at least give the second one a chance.

(Unfortunately there's no cat scene tho, which left me in absolute stitches X'D)

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 3:27 pm

Is it movies we like that are hated or is it movies we know that suck but we like them anyway because their suckiness is what makes them entertainable.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 3:30 pm

tb86 wrote:
Is it movies we like that are hated or is it movies we know that suck but we like them anyway because their suckiness is what makes them entertainable.

IdahoRose specified it as the former in the opening post (movies with negative reviews), but some of the others have taken it to mean the latter (guilty pleasures), so you can run either way.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 4:55 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote

Quote:
IdahoRose specified it as the former in the opening post (movies with negative reviews), but some of the others have taken it to mean the latter (guilty pleasures), so you can run either way.

Ok then here are a few of both choices I won't say which ones. For the record the ones I like the most I do have some flaws with them and I will admit some of them are not that good.

Transformers
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Daredevil
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Spider-Man 3
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
X-Men: The Last Stand
Shrek the Third
Shrek Forever After
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones
Star Wars The Clone Wars
Cars
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers the Movie
Pokemon 2000 the Movie
Pokemon 3 the Movie
Hulk
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Digimon the Movie
Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Garfield the Movie
Independence Day
Superman Returns
The Mummy (1999)

shaunx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 May 2012, 4:59 pm

I mainly like obscure, arty and ''rubbish'' movies. I have a huge collection and watch films every day.