Can anyone reccomend Anime for me to watch?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 12:46 am

Hi, I was wondering if someone can recommend Anime for me to watch, based on the things I'm interested in. I don't know where to look up for this kind of stuff. Anyway, I'm mostly interested in Anime that have one of more of these things, Robots, Mechs, medieval warriors such as knights, Elves, Orcs. Also, Cars including cars with guns on them, Possibly Zombies if there are any with some good zombie killing action. So... I watch things like Transformers, but that's not really an Anime. I did watch some Gundam episodes, I have a few episodes on DVD I have yet to watch.
here's what I have watched,
Yu Yu Hakasho, Have yet to finish season 1, working on that.
One Piece, at least for a while I did.
Dragonball Z, If it even counts as Anime, sometimes I wonder about that.
Umm... I got interested in the Persona series, have not seen it yet. maybe I should look it up. I played but have not beaten the games...
There's a few shows I can't say because I'm a little embarrassed to admit to have watched certain ones (or played the games in most cases) mainly because they don't seem like something a guy such as myself would like, I'll say one of them... that High school Host Club, you can blame my sister for that one. Never been so creeped out in my life, but needless to say I was hilarious. Anyone able to think of any based on all this? Sorry if I'm asking too much, I'm just bored right now.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 3:49 am

I think a good recent fantasy anime was Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, although I am guessing that you don't watch a lot before they are dubbed into English, it might be a bit too soon for that.

If you are a fan of games, you might enjoy Sword Art Online, it is hugely popular. Also Log Horizon, I believe the second half of the English series comes out later this month.

On to mecha, I recommend Full Metal Panic for general military and action. Majestic Prince may be dubbed by now, it has some really cool mecha fights.

And if you like shows such as One Piece and DBZ, then I recommend Fairy Tail.

You should not feel bad about watching Ouran High, really one of my current favourite I am watching is aimed at girls, and I have seen a few I quite enjoyed.

I can't actually think of many anime about cars specifically, maybe it will be a stretch to you but I do think of Girls un Panzer, they are vehicles with guns on them, and yes it does sound ridiculous but it was pretty popular.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

If you like robot anime than i would recommend Eureka Seven. You might also like Soul Eater its kinda sorta like one piece and its a lot shorter than one piece as well.

Kyte
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2015, 3:28 pm

Ive seen over 55 series, the ones I would recomend most are.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood,
Code Geass,
Steins Gate,
Hellsing Ultimate.
Psycho-Pass:
Attack on Titan
Zetsuen no tempest.

And no need to feel embarrased about Ouran Highschool host club. I loved that anime :wink:
I plan to watch it again in the near future.

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 7:46 pm

I'll look a lot of these up soon. Thanks.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 11:08 am

Hmm... you mentioned zombies. The only Anime I've seen that had anything similar to that was Attack On Titan because the Titans are kinda like zombies on a more colossal scale. I haven't seen this one, but I think that Soul Eater might have zombies in it. Hope this helps.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:02 pm

If I thought of zombie killing would be like Highschool of the Dead (watch only if you can watch things like blood, gore, violence and other bad things, no joke). There is Also Hellsing (again can be very graphic, later episodes are adult only). Sunday Without God could also fit, yet a little different.

And then there is Sankarea, which takes it in a direction.... away from killing.

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 5:43 am

I can stand zombie stuff, most of it anyway, but Attack on Titan just creeps me out. Not sure what it is about that show, something about is... I don't know. Maybe it's one of those acquired taste type things where I'd have to watch so much of it before I could make any reasonable opinion. But That Sword Art Online looks great! After watching just the trailer for it, I definitely need to watch this one. It made me buy a keychain, which is either a good thing, or a bad thing. My wallet seems to think that was a bad thing, considering those key chains aren't cheap. Anyway, I totally need to watch it very soon.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 8:52 am

transformingcar wrote:
But That Sword Art Online looks great! After watching just the trailer for it, I definitely need to watch this one. It made me buy a keychain, which is either a good thing, or a bad thing. My wallet seems to think that was a bad thing, considering those key chains aren't cheap. Anyway, I totally need to watch it very soon.

You bought a keychain before watching the season? :lol:
That is fine, it is a very popular series, and character designs with artwork and such are also quite popular. Don't know what else to say in risk of setting it up too much.

If your react well to it I might also recommend Accel World, written by the same person and word is set 20 or so years later where VR has progressed further.

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 12:50 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
transformingcar wrote:
But That Sword Art Online looks great! After watching just the trailer for it, I definitely need to watch this one. It made me buy a keychain, which is either a good thing, or a bad thing. My wallet seems to think that was a bad thing, considering those key chains aren't cheap. Anyway, I totally need to watch it very soon.

You bought a keychain before watching the season? :lol:
That is fine, it is a very popular series, and character designs with artwork and such are also quite popular. Don't know what else to say in risk of setting it up too much.

If your react well to it I might also recommend Accel World, written by the same person and word is set 20 or so years later where VR has progressed further.

If it helps make sense, when I bought it I also bought a DBZ keychain. I thought it looked cool and I've been known to buy things based on movies I have yet to watch. That includes a Pacific Rim figure I bought purely because I like the style of it, it was one of the Mechs and I have always liked that sort of thing. Also I guess I'm still a kid inside since I still like toys and stuff like that, although better quality ones now. I think I just went of subject...

Nagalis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2015, 11:57 pm

Patlabor: Early Days

A mostly light-hearted 7-part OVA about the shenanigans of Division 2, a branch of police with their very own mecha.

Martian Successor Nadesico

A bit of harem, some space opera, topped with mecha.
The ending is extremely abrupt, due to the show having been axed.

Gunbuster

More about the characters than the titular super robot, but definitely worth the watch.
Pretty feelsy.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gets a lot of flack nowadays, apparently due to over-exposure. Or something.
It's bleak, it's sad, and it's kinda trippy at times. That said, the mecha vs. giant alien creature fights are generally pretty sweet when they do happen. Not necessarily your cup of tea, but I wanted to put it out there.

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar

Starts out as a monster-of-the-week super robot show, things really only start moving forward around the halfway mark. Over-the-top with lots of yelling, manly speeches, ridiculously proportioned weapons, and COURAGE. The sequel OVA (The King of Braves GaoGaiGar Final) is even more gloriously insane.

That's some stuff off the top of my head.