MOVIES: He/She Would Have Been SO MUCH BETTER In That Role!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 2:04 pm

I just posted a "No one could've done it better" thread, and I thought we should have "an opposite" thread, as well. This thread is about movies that have been made from books. When reading the book, you get a picture in your mind of what a character looks like / behaves like, etc. Then, all-too-often, when the movie comes-out, you're like: "Huh, that's not 'him' (or, her)!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Gambon, pretty much ruined "Professor Dumbledore" in the Harry Potter movies. Sadly, Richard Harris died, but he was BEYOND PERFECT as Dumbledore-----in looks, in mannerisms, in the softness of his voice. His costume and hair / beard were perfect. Whoever heard of a wizard having their beard tied-up like the second Dumbledore? RIDICULOUS!! ! (Now there's a commercial with a wizard-like looking guy in it, and HIS beard is tied----it makes me cringe everytime I see it.) I read that Michael Gambon complained that the beard was getting in his way, and "they" came-up with the idea to tie it. Well, it should NOT have been about "Michael Gambon"----it should have been about "Dumbledore"! !! Also, Michael Gambon did NOT read ANYTHING about Dumbledore, and it SHOWED!! ! That scene in GoF where he shook Harry and yelled, asking Harry whether he put his name in the goblet, should NOT have been allowed-----it was the Director's fault, IMO, as much as it was Michael's.

So, who should've played "Dumbledore", instead? Peter O'Toole!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 5:22 pm

David Hasselhoff should have been Nick Fury in The Avengers. Samuel L. Jackson is a good actor and all, but Nick Fury is supposed to be a super-cool badass. :wink:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 6:55 pm

Sir Ian McKellen should have played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies following
Sir Richard Harris, but likely many would have compared McKellen as Dumbledore to Gandalf. If not, Sir John Hurt should have been cast as Dumbledore.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 10:00 pm

Oh, TOTALLY Ian McKellan----but, he said he didn't wanna do it because of "Gandalf".

I totally forgot about John Hurt. He was Ollivander in the first film, I think----but, with a change of hair, makeup, addition of beard, etc., he could've looked totally different. Look what they did with Warwick Davis throughout the movie series.

~~~~~~~~~~

I thought the girl who played "Phlegm" (Fleur) was HORRIBLE casting!! !! NOT that the girl was ugly-----but, Fleur was suppose to be mesmerizingly beautiful. I almost thought, for a second, that the girl who played Luna, and the girl who played Fleur should've been swapped-around. As for who should've played Fleur....

I dunno....

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 2:03 pm

George Clooney or Russell Crowe as Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code instead of Tom Hanks.

Don't get me wrong, I might be the only WP member who will admit to being a Tom Hanks fan, but I thought Mr. Hanks was ridiculously miscast in The Da Vinci Code.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 4:16 pm

Charles Bronson was great in Once Upon a Time In the West, but it would have been better if Eastwood had been cast as originally intended. It would have been a continuation of his Man with no name, character.

Cast Robert De Niro in Liam Neeson's role in Gang's of New York, and have the first half of the movie entirely based on him, and the second half the revenge story with Leo replaced by Michael Imperioli (Christopher from the Soprano's). It wouldn't really work, though, because they're supposed to be Irish. They should have actually cast someone from Ireland, then. Someone who was much rougher around the edges than Leo ended up being. He ruined that movie.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 5:41 pm

Bruce Lee should have been Kwai Chang Caine in Kung Fu.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 7:07 pm

Matt Damon and Rebecca Hall in the Green Lantern movie instead
of Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively.

Leonardo DiCaprio as Norman Bates in the Psycho "remake" instead of Vince Vaughn.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 10:14 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
George Clooney or Russell Crowe as Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code instead of Tom Hanks.

Don't get me wrong, I might be the only WP member who will admit to being a Tom Hanks fan, but I thought Mr. Hanks was ridiculously miscast in The Da Vinci Code.

I agree with you--but I always saw Scott Bakula in that role.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 2:33 pm

Christian Bale as Norman Bates in the Psycho "remake" instead of Vince Vaughn.

John Travolta as the title character in the Jack Reacher movie instead of Tom Cruise.

Tom Wilkinson as Professor Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies instead of Michael Gambon.

Matt Damon and Josh Brolin were great in the True Grit remake, but it would have been better had their roles been swapped around, meaning that the movie would have been better had Matt Damon played the bad guy and Josh Brolin played Sheriff LaBoeuf.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 1:29 pm

Ralph Fiennes was great as Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter movies, but the role would have been more interesting had the studio cast Christopher Lee as Lord Voldemort.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 9:31 am

GoonSquad wrote:
David Hasselhoff should have been Nick Fury in The Avengers. Samuel L. Jackson is a good actor and all, but Nick Fury is supposed to be a super-cool badass. :wink:

Not sure if sarcasm, but Samuel L isn't a super cool badass?