Where Do You Stand On The Washington Redskins Name?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:15 pm

A part of me can see how this name could be considered racist by some; I guess it would be like calling them the Washington Blackskins or something else derogatory. What is your opinion?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:31 pm

I like anything which unhinges the self-appointed word police who cheer the punishment of those of us who like free speech including its occasionally offensive parts.

"There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad intentions, and wooooords." --George Carlin.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:36 pm

i wish they would change it. it wouldn't hurt them at all and it would make many native americans feel better.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 7:14 pm

Aspinator wrote:
A part of me can see how this name could be considered racist by some; I guess it would be like calling them the Washington Blackskins or something else derogatory. What is your opinion?

It's a bunch of nonsense. Keep the name and tell those who object to mind their own business.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 7:15 pm

cathylynn wrote:
i wish they would change it. it wouldn't hurt them at all and it would make many native americans feel better.

Where are the objections to the name coming from? What percent from Native Americans? What percent from everyone else?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 12:12 am

they were here first and have the moral right to object to the continued crude caricature.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2014, 4:41 am

AspieUtah wrote:
I like anything which unhinges the self-appointed word police who cheer the punishment of those of us who like free speech including its occasionally offensive parts.

"There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad intentions, and wooooords." --George Carlin.

Agreed. Leave the name alone. They're a football team. They needed a name and a mascot, they chose one. If you don't like it, cheer for their opponents; they lose often enough anyway. Political correctness and sports culture don't mix. Political correctness and freedom of speech don't mix either, but I won't get into that here.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 12:22 pm

The Washington Redskins team has apparently donated money to some Native American groups in the past. I wonder if that will continue once they change their name.

By the way, some Native Americans are against the name and some are in favor of it. I suspect that most couldn't care less.

I think it is probably people who are intent on finding anything they can to be offended by and are trying to stir up others to force their views on everyone else. There are plenty of people like that in every race. They inevitably don't seem to have much respect for anyone else's opinion at all -- they are the only ones with "the one true answer".

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 12:47 pm

I'm part Native American and most Native Americans couldn't care less, and don't have a problem with the name----nor do I! The ones that DO just wanted to hop on the whiny PC bandwagon with everybody else! It seems like every group / sub-group of individuals has someone "sitting at the switch" at every moment so if someone says something "wrong", they can cry foul----it's BEYOND ridiculous, imo!

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 1:35 pm

Personally, I don't see the problem. In my opinion, their logo is a very respectable image of a Native American and it not like they criticize or have any racist thoughts or beliefs towards them. Unless there is a huge uproar from the Native American community, we shouldn't be appalled either.

Going by this logic would then mean that the NY Giants would have to change their name because it is offensive to tall people.

As others have said, I think this is one of many cases where political correctness is taken a tad too far. It's like someone just one day decided that it was offensive when five years ago no one had a problem with it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

AspergersActor8693 wrote:
Personally, I don't see the problem. In my opinion, their logo is a very respectable image of a Native American and it not like they criticize or have any racist thoughts or beliefs towards them.

I agree. To me, their logo appears to be quite supporting of Native Americans.

I wonder how long until someone complains about the Minnesota Vikings logo being racist against the Norse.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 2:31 pm

i think sports teams shouldn't be named after any real things at all, they should just rename themselves like models of car, like "xb380 deluxe" or something like that.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 3:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i think sports teams shouldn't be named after any real things at all, they should just rename themselves like models of car, like "xb380 deluxe" or something like that.

Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Comanche
Chrysler Grand Cherokee
Studebaker Scotsman
General Motors Viking
Little Jordan Tomboy
Studebaker Dictator

And don't forget the manufacturers

Indian
Pontiac

As well as cars named after other things

Ford Mustang
VW Beetle
Shelby Cobra
AMC Hornet
Alfa Romeo Spider
Chevy Impala
Fiat Panda
MG Midget

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 3:38 pm

eric76 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Comanche
Chrysler Grand Cherokee
Studebaker Scotsman
General Motors Viking
Little Jordan Tomboy
Studebaker Dictator

Indian
Pontiac

Ford Mustang
VW Beetle
Shelby Cobra
AMC Hornet
Alfa Romeo Spider
Chevy Impala
Fiat Panda
MG Midget

I don't think cars should be given those kinds of names either. they should just stick to alphanumerics, IMHO. or maybe the name of their chief designer.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 3:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
eric76 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Comanche
Chrysler Grand Cherokee
Studebaker Scotsman
General Motors Viking
Little Jordan Tomboy
Studebaker Dictator

Indian
Pontiac

Ford Mustang
VW Beetle
Shelby Cobra
AMC Hornet
Alfa Romeo Spider
Chevy Impala
Fiat Panda
MG Midget

I don't think cars should be given those kinds of names either. they should just stick to alphanumerics, IMHO. or maybe the name of their chief designer.

I assume then that if Rolls Royce names their next model The Blabby, you will not be happy?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 3:50 pm

eric76 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
eric76 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Comanche
Chrysler Grand Cherokee
Studebaker Scotsman
General Motors Viking
Little Jordan Tomboy
Studebaker Dictator

Indian
Pontiac

Ford Mustang
VW Beetle
Shelby Cobra
AMC Hornet
Alfa Romeo Spider
Chevy Impala
Fiat Panda
MG Midget

I assume then that if Rolls Royce names their next model The Blabby, you will not be happy?

if they let me design it I'd be tickled pink. :)