Looks like I might have to download Itunes...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 2:32 am

It does have to do with T.V because the only reason for this is so I can watch Game of Thrones more easily rather than trying to rely on crappy free streaming or trying to find someone with cable who wants to share their t.v and house or at least living room or whatever . So far you need an apple device/program to download the app to have access to something called HBOnow, where you can watch it....hopefully that app thing is affordable no idea how much it is at the moment at least Itunes is free though. But I hate Itunes and I really don't want it, but whatever I can tolerate it for Game of Thrones I guess.

I did get all the seasons so far so I can watch them again just to make sure I am caught up on everything....of course I wasn't stupid enough to pay almost 40 dollars per season at any store that has it, ebay is a much better source for buying that kind of thing since I got all for around 65 dollars, like less than half of what I would have paid at any store.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 6:24 am

ITunes is a good way to go.

I started using it because I had run out of room for DVDs.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 7:45 am

You need to have a subscription to use hbo go. But there is a certain program you can download for better free streaming with torrents. Hint: it starts with a p and has been in the news a lot lately.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 8:06 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
You need to have a subscription to use hbo go. But there is a certain program you can download for better free streaming with torrents. Hint: it starts with a p and has been in the news a lot lately.

Um, the last thing you want to do is pirate GoT. GoT is probably the most pirated show out there, and for that reason the copyright enforcers watch downloads of it like a hawk. Better just to get it legit.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 10:15 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:

I don't mean HBO Go, its HBO Now its like a new, new thing like newer than hbo go....I read up on it and you don't need a cable subscription, that program itself has a fee, but I imagine that fee is cheaper for paying for an entire cable package..... If it is entirely unreasonable for cost than there is free streaming I guess. I never have gone to that particular site do you mean the one Norway put back up and doesn't want anyone to touch? just making sure i am thinking of the right one...also if I download anything 'illegally' that could wreck the internet here because my brother tried downloading movies which he thought where legit and Quest( I think was our provider at the time) shut off our internet and said if anything else like that showed up they'd rid this address of internet 'forever'....not sure if that claim is for real, I mean would they really have jurisdiction if we go through a different provider? Now I think we have xfinity otherwise known as comcast internet and phone....no cable though.

Either way though with free streaming I only do the ones that don't involve a download and the quality on those is not consistent hence why I'd rather just pay for the new HBO streaming service during the game of thrones season seems like the assist way so far.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 10:20 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Girlwithaspergers wrote:

Um, the last thing you want to do is pirate GoT. GoT is probably the most pirated show out there, and for that reason the copyright enforcers watch downloads of it like a hawk. Better just to get it legit.

Probably why they gave in and created HBONow....since with HBOGo you still need a cable subscription or whatever to use it, which means people without it are likely to still pirate/or at the very least use questionable streaming. I have the impression they did not want to provide such a service....but they also want money and they wont get as much if they keep the show so damn hard to get ahold of and watch. As kind of a side note though, I think its intresting how the author who wrote the series is still in the process and from what I understand sort of working with the producers of the show, In the past you have books come out and then a movie/show afterwards....Now you have a book being written as the show is being made, I imagine this kind of thing will become more common eventually.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 10:23 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
ITunes is a good way to go.

I started using it because I had run out of room for DVDs.

I don't like it I have had it before when I used to have an Ipod...just cumbersome and complicated to use to me, I find it easier now that i just have a memory card in my phone to store music or whatever and can sort stuff just by going into the folders without some fancy program to complicate things. I'd do the same with movies if I downloaded any. Also I don't have an apple computer, its a windows so I know technically Itunes is more compatible with apple computers probably.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 5:24 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Girlwithaspergers wrote:

Plus torrent sites are fertile grounds for viruses and malware.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 8:46 pm

HBO Now isn't via iTunes!

HBO Now is a timed exclusive for Apple TV and iOS devices.

HBO Now on Apple TV is channel you access using your Apple ID (which for most doubles as your iTunes account).
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-appletv/appletv

Apple TV plugs into your TV and streams everything and has tons of other channels you can access, including a form of iTunes

If you wish to buy a digital copy of seasons 1-4 of GoTs, you can do so on iTunes and use it on any of your Apple devices including streaming to your Apple TV.

You can currently buy the current Apple TV for $69.00 or wait for rumored/leaked new version coming this summer.

---

If you want to get HBO Now on your iOS device, you must download the app through the App Store...

---

To repeat, you do not need iTunes to get to HBO Now.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 10:28 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Girlwithaspergers wrote:

Plus torrent sites are fertile grounds for viruses and malware.

If you don't know what you're doing. Always check the uploader's notes and the downloaders' comments before you download. Having an adblocker installed helps too, as does doing your downloads from an OS that isn't Windoze or O$ X. ;)

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

You should use Popcorn Time :D

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 9:53 pm

I used to hate itunes too, but not so much anymore.
It seems a bit better than before, not as much clutter anymore.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 4:31 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
You should use Popcorn Time :D

I just looked it up, it's really no different than using torrents... because it IS using torrents. :P If you don't want to get dinged by your ISP or by copyright trolls, it may not be the best idea to use it. Of course, in the great white north, no one here really gives a crap, as copyright holders are only allowed to sue for up to $5000, which is peanuts compared to what the legal costs would be.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 9:47 am

xenocity wrote:

HBO Now on Apple TV is channel you access using your Apple ID (which for most doubles as your iTunes account).

Apple TV plugs into your TV and streams everything and has tons of other channels you can access, including a form of iTunes

If you wish to buy a digital copy of seasons 1-4 of GoTs, you can do so on iTunes and use it on any of your Apple devices including streaming to your Apple TV.

You can currently buy the current Apple TV for $69.00 or wait for rumored/leaked new version coming this summer.

---

If you want to get HBO Now on your iOS device, you must download the app through the App Store...

---

Well that sucks because I have a microsoft OS and no apple devices....I thought on the page it said you could download it to itunes if you don't have an apple device as like an alternative, but I guess I must be mistaking if this app can only be run from apple devices. I already just bought a new t.v, wouldn't really be worth it to get another t.v just for one show....so free streaming it is, till the dvds come out or if they expand HBO now to work on things beyond apple devices.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 2:37 pm

You can use iTunes on a PC no problem.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 7:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
xenocity wrote:

---

---

Well that sucks because I have a microsoft OS and no apple devices....I thought on the page it said you could download it to itunes if you don't have an apple device as like an alternative, but I guess I must be mistaking if this app can only be run from apple devices. I already just bought a new t.v, wouldn't really be worth it to get another t.v just for one show....so free streaming it is, till the dvds come out or if they expand HBO now to work on things beyond apple devices.

Apple TV isn't a TV.
It's a streaming box that you plug into your TV.

It sits below your TV and plugs in via one the HDMI ports on your TV (also comes with remote).

When you use the device, the interface looks like this...

This is how you access the HBO Now app and the other channels and apps.
It also streams your iTunes library as well.

This device costs $69 for the current model, which you can find at most retailers.

So go buy this device for your TV and enjoy HBO Now (it's $15 per month).