Re-animator, bride of re-animator, beyound re-animator?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Elenajo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2016, 9:03 am

Does any one like the three movies: re-animator, bride of the re-animator, beyound Re-animator?! Or any other scary movies

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 6:47 pm

As an H.P. Lovecraft fan, I absolutely love Re-Animator. In fact, I sw it when it was first in the theaters, back in the eighties. While I have seen the sequels, I'm under the opinion that they were soulless products, owing their existence to the lure of money. The original, as far as I'm concerned, is a stand alone classic in horror cinema.

Extrication

28 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm

I've yet to see any of the sequels, but I too consider Re-Animator to be a classic.

Have you seen From Beyond (1986)? If not, it is from the same director, and it also stars Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton. Substitute zombies with extra-dimensional monsters.. It is my favorite Stuart Gordon film adaption of a Lovecraft story. I can see it's influence upon many a video game -- from Dr. Chaos on the NES, to Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh and Half-Life on PC, etc. Great pacing and sense of atmosphere, remarkable old-school creature effects from John Carl Buechler, and just the right amount of dark humor and cheese.

Last edited by Extrication on 28 Aug 2016, 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 7:22 pm

Extrication wrote:
I've yet to see any of the sequels, but I too consider Re-Animator to be a classic.

Have you seen From Beyond (1986)? If not, it is from the same director, and it also stars Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton. Substitute undead zombies with extra-dimensional monsters. It is my favorite Stuart Gordon film adaption of a Lovecraft story. I can see it's influence upon many a video game -- from Dr. Chaos on the NES, to Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh and Half-Life on PC, etc. Great pacing and sense of atmosphere, remarkable old-school creature effects from John Carl Buechler, and just the right amount of dark humor and cheese.

I have indeed seen it, and I also own it on DVD. Another Lovecraft adaption by Stuart Gordon is Dagon. While there is a Lovecraft story of that same name, this movie is in fact an adaption of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and is tied directly to the Cthulhu Mythos that had made Lovecraft famous.