Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2024, 9:18 am

Just wanted to see if anyone liked Godzilla movies growing up. I loved them. I think it was one of my special interests at the time. I love the 1954 original and this year is the 70th anniversary! Something about this one is pretty terrifying and the special effects are just unbelievable for the time. Funny enough but my Uncle who I strongly suspect is on the Autism Spectrum got my interested in Godzilla when I was younger.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2024, 9:47 am

I loved Godzilla as a kid of 10-11 but when I happened to watch one of the Godzilla movies as a young adult - I was in my late teens to early twenties then - I didn't enjoy it at all and couldn't understand what I had liked so much about those movies back in my childhood.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2024, 9:54 am

Irulan wrote:
I loved Godzilla as a kid of 10-11 but when I happened to watch one of the Godzilla movies as a young adult - I was in my late teens to early twenties then - I didn't enjoy it at all and couldn't understand what I had liked so much about those movies back in my childhood.

That's cool! I think there's something that's neat about seeing it when you are a kid. Just with the special effects and the movement and that it's just a big monster. I still love it now but don't watch them as much anymore but still really love the original.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2024, 12:57 pm

I remember I liked Godzilla vs King Ghidorah most :D I watched all those movies because back then, in the 90's, there were several video rentals in my town. Mom and me were always going there every Friday to get two movies - one for her and one for me - "my" movie was always a science fiction or horror movie.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2024, 1:17 pm

"Special effects"?

The original Godzilla movies were just a dude in a rubber lizard suit knocking down model buildings. :lol:

But that was enough for audiences in the Fifties (in and outside of Japan), and good enough for kids today!

The original wave of Godzilla movies crested in 1963 when they paired a venerable American monster with the diva of Japanese monsters in..."King Kong vs Godzilla". I remember when it came out when I was 8. Quite the climactic multicultural event!

https://youtu.be/B4rGq9kyeM0

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2024, 2:43 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
"Special effects"?

The original Godzilla movies were just a dude in a rubber lizard suit knocking down model buildings. :lol:

But that was enough for audiences in the Fifties (in and outside of Japan), and good enough for kids today!

The original wave of Godzilla movies crested in 1963 when they paired a venerable American monster with the diva of Japanese monsters in..."King Kong vs Godzilla". I remember when it came out when I was 8. Quite the climactic multicultural event!

https://youtu.be/B4rGq9kyeM0

That's true :lol: I was just thinking too of how they did the miniature towns and sets and everything. I kind of like how they did the lighting in the movie too. It is pretty primitive though by today's standards :lol: . I loved seeing King Kong vs Godzilla on VHS when I was little. That's awesome you remember it when it came out. Some of the scenes in it are downright funny haha.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2024, 2:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

I remember seeing this before! So horrible :lol:

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2024, 11:02 pm

Just a neat 70th anniversary compilation video Toho released.

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2024, 10:48 am

I never saw Godzilla as a kid, and I've never seen any of the original Japanese movies. But I have watched the American versions Godzilla (1998, 2014), Godzilla King of the monsters, and Godzilla vs Kong several times, and I like them a lot.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 11:08 am

I think I can remember watching it once

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 1:03 pm

Now we also have "Catzilla"!

https://youtu.be/mzZqHPbj65I

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 2:00 pm

Redpaws wrote:
I never saw Godzilla as a kid, and I've never seen any of the original Japanese movies. But I have watched the American versions Godzilla (1998, 2014), Godzilla King of the monsters, and Godzilla vs Kong several times, and I like them a lot.

that's awesome! I remember seeing the 1998 Godzilla in theatres and like the new remakes they did.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 2:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Now we also have "Catzilla"!

https://youtu.be/mzZqHPbj65I

:lol:

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 10:31 pm

Godzilla is free on Youtube!

Hokulea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2024, 7:52 am

I've not seen that many yet, but I think my favourites so far are Godzilla Minus One and Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.