Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 6:23 pm

Anyone else saw one of the greatest action movies ever?

Image LOL

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 7:09 pm

I have indeed seen it - and seen it three times, baby, yeah!

I loved it so much that I almost staggered out of the cinema every time, because I'd had such a massive testosterone overdose. The battle scenes were amazing, Gerard Butler's Leonidas was a very compelling hero, and the Spartans were all great characters in their own right.

THIS! IS! ENTERTAINMENNNNNNNNNT! :P

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 10:31 pm

ASPIEEEEES! TONIGHT...WE DINE...IN A VERY LARGE NOISY CROWD THAT HAS NOT BATHED IN MANY MONTHS AND GIVE US NO PHYSICAL SPACE!

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 12:05 am

It was fun. Mostly historically inaccurate, but fun.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 10:00 pm

Madness you said? THIS IS SPARTA!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 4:13 pm

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 3:38 pm

Veresae wrote:
ASPIEEEEES! TONIGHT...WE DINE...IN A VERY LARGE NOISY CROWD THAT HAS NOT BATHED IN MANY MONTHS AND GIVE US NO PHYSICAL SPACE!

That's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have not seen 300 but will try to rent it.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 7:46 pm

I watched 300 recently. Very brutal. Personally, I think Gerard Butler did things a little too OTT, as I had read the graphic novel before watching it. I thought of Leonidas as having more of a Brian Blessed Shakespearian tone, rather than that throat-stripping roar. But it was interesting from a technical point of view, given what they did to recreate the scenes on film....

On sabbatical...

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 11:52 pm

I loved it, we are going to buy it, but haven't done so yet. History Channel a month or so ago did a show on the Last Stand of the 300 (or something like that) and it was really good too.

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 11:45 am

Bought it yesterday in shiny special two disc edition with all the fun bits and bobs.

Already got the graphic novel, and I'll be making notes about the differences between the two, and whether they are good or bad changes. Im also tempted to start making tiny wargaming persians/spartans.

Started googling for Spartan Helmets already.. then onto the shields.. and probably the swords, as the spear might be tricksy to get delivered.

Once i have all that.. (and I will) then its probably only a matter of time before Im stomping around the house in a red nappy and cape, shouting at the cats (closest I have to persians) and being all manly and impregnable at LadyM.

Inevitably that will lead to her either leaving or stabbing me with my own sword. (Unless shes too busy swooning at the manly physique I havent quite got yet.. ) At which point, I request that the members of WP bring me back on my shield.

"You are lucky that only Aspie women can give birth to spartan men!!" hehehe.

"Madness? This is a COMPLEX NEUROLOGICAL DISORDER!! !!" *KICK* disrespectful NT into hole.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 11:48 am

LadyM has just pointed out that I wander around the house in my underwear anyway, quoting 300 at random. She may have a point. She also claims not to care.

"Clearly I dont know my own woman."

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 3:41 am

It was ok I guess. I like the part where he knocked all of that jewelry out of the side of the evil emperors face.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 10:44 am

Arbie wrote:
It was ok I guess. I like the part where he knocked all of that jewelry out of the side of the evil emperors face.

Which was a clever and humiliating blow to the persians, and almost as effective as actually spearing him in the face. By proving to the persians that their god/emperor is not actually a god, it theoretically weakens their resolve and belief. Its also a damn big hole to poke in Xerxes' ego. Not to mention, ripping out piercings HURTS.

Of course, this film is about as historically accurate as U571, but the general gist of the original tale is there. To me, it is more akin to the heroic tales of yore, where the warriors all become ten feet tall and s**t swords. In the finest tradition of storytelling, this film is dead on. I imagine that it bears a lot of resemblance to how the story was actually told around campfires and the like.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 12:02 pm

Know what I find amusing?

Honestly, some people need to get over themselves, they really do.

What part of the words "fiction, comic book" and "not real" do they fail to grasp?

Hollywood also likes to imply that all British people are evil imperialists. (Note how all the officers on the death star and star destroyers are british?) but do i get all bent out of shape about it and parade around? No.

Every other hollywood war movie makes out that america won the war on its own and no-one else even showed up. Thats a load of bollocks, but nobody cares that much, because we all know its just hollywood and entertainment.

So, that said:

Iranian protester: This movie is racism!!
king Leonidas: Racism? THIS IS FICTION!! *kicks disrespectful iranian into hole*

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 3:46 pm

Dude, this is a movie that has monsters straight out of Lord of the Rings. It's ridiculous that people take it that seriously.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 4:15 pm

Exactly my thoughts.

Its like taking Harry Potter as a lesson in demonology and witchcraft.

Frank Miller and Zack Snyder have both stated quite clearly that they have NOT created a historical piece several times. What they have done is taken a historical event and created a mythology around it. All of the costumes and effects are based around an idealised greek society, rather than a spot on accurate one. When people think of ancient greeks, they invariably think of the classic Jason and the Argonauts sort of thing.. lots of bronze helmets with horsehair crests and such like. This is what you get in 300.. the ideal, not the fact. Miller admits to tweaking historical events for dramatic purpose, and does not claim otherwise. Even the setting has been idealised, such that the hot gates little resemble Thermopolae, other than in a very basic sense.

Its more akin to Gladiator in this sense.. a fictional account slotted into genuine history.

Obviously the Spartans didnt have as much of a victory over mysticism and tyranny as they might have hoped.