Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AlexUK
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2006, 4:14 pm

Dont you find it wierd when a popular comedy just seems a mish-mash of pure stupidity and yet one in perticular you find fascinating. Like the average comedy series here in the UK fails to reach my level of understanding and order and yet i watch Friends (if its on) and i get hooked on it and its just so brilliant, Chandler is bad for my health as the unavoideble one-liner either makes me popular or get me into trouble!!

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2006, 4:59 pm

For a long time I purposely avoided watching Friends. It's not really something I should like: six young, good-looking people in a beautiful, big apartment. My sister loves it, so it's been pretty difficult to avoid.
But when I have seen it, I've often enjoyed it. It's very well done.

Definitely very American. It wouldn't work if we tried a British version. Our sitcoms just aren't as glossy.
That's not to say that Friends is lightweight, because it's not at all.
In fact, I tend to prefer American sitcoms to British ones these days (especially now that Father Ted [Irish] and The Office have finished). I like stuff like Scrubs and Third Rock From The Sun and The Drew Carey Show. I loved Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I draw the line at Will and Grace though. Those people are toooo annoying.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2006, 6:40 pm

Hi, I just wondered how widely available American shows are in England and abroad..I wish we had access to shows from around the world....Upstairs/Downstairs is about it.:) Peace..

AlexUK
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2006, 7:34 pm

US shows are often shown here in the UK but its only Friends or the Simpsons i guess that has PrimeTime slots. Chat shows and the like are often either shown in the day time or at late night. Desperate Housewives is another popular one but i just cant get my head round that one!!

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 7:53 pm

Klytus wrote:
For a long time I purposely avoided watching Friends. It's not really something I should like: six young, good-looking people in a beautiful, big apartment. My sister loves it, so it's been pretty difficult to avoid.
But when I have seen it, I've often enjoyed it. It's very well done.

Definitely very American. It wouldn't work if we tried a British version. Our sitcoms just aren't as glossy.
That's not to say that Friends is lightweight, because it's not at all.
In fact, I tend to prefer American sitcoms to British ones these days (especially now that Father Ted [Irish] and The Office have finished). I like stuff like Scrubs and Third Rock From The Sun and The Drew Carey Show. I loved Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I draw the line at Will and Grace though. Those people are toooo annoying.

I loved the drew carey show and third rock was so bad it was good. Scrubs is geniunely good (the few sipodes I've seen), it's like a cross between ally mcbeal (awesome) and MASH (legendary, till they got touchy-feely. Don't judge MASH by the episodes where anyboyd had a conscience!) I agree that Will and Grace is too far. Friends has no merit whatsoever. Oh, and I've seen probably 95% of the eipsodes more than once each and I do enjoy watching it. It's junk food for your brain though. :P

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 8:23 pm

Im watching it now. :oops:

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 12:46 am

I strongly dislike Friends. I mean, okay, I've seen worse shows, but I just can't see how this one is so popular. It's just so...pedestrian.

I remember liking 3rd Rock From The Sun and The Drew Carey Show, then I kinda tried to convince myself that they weren't good shows. But you know what? I think I'm gonna start watching them again.

As for Scrubs...I bought the DVD set after hearing good things about the show (and comparisons to one of my favorite shows, Arrested Development). I've watched a handful of episodes, and so far, I like the show, but somehow I don't feel compelled to watch more.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 11:50 am

I really like Friends , Ross sure knows a lot doesn't he ;)

Wish I had beautiful hair like Rachel :wink: