Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 10:21 pm

I picked it up when I was in the drugstore, getting a vicodin RX filled, because I knew I would be laid up for a while, and had to read something.

It wasn't bad. Not half as bad as I expected.

Why does everyone hate this so much? Just because it's popular?

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2008, 10:32 pm

Is it me or are all vampires these days pretty-boys?

That's one of the reasons it's so popular. Main character is a bad boy cutie.

Wonder if he could come back from garlic-filled hollow-points...

Vampires are romanticised, really. Check out Necroscope for believable Vampyre's.

That said, this movie does look okay but the main character just seems to...goody-goody.

He's got this power...and doesn't use it. Pathetic.

Regards
GM

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 1:52 am

No way. Besides he's a fictional character, he's however his creater makes him. Unless the author specifically states that a character is autisitic, there's no reason to speculate on said character's neurological status.

Quote:

Like this?

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2008, 3:31 am

To the ugliest woman alive, he's hot.

*Smug*

Regards
GM

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 3:57 am

Gifted-Monster wrote:

That's one of the reasons it's so popular. Main character is a bad boy cutie.

My cat is more of a bad boy than he is. And my cat is a queen who just had kittens.

Point made

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 5:39 am

Quote:
"I think Edward Cullen has Asperger's Syndrome. His social awkwardness is more than just cultivating mystery. He wobbles, talks wrong and stares incessantly."

Haven't read or seen Twilgiht. Thoughts?

On the spectrum?:
* Edward Cullen (book) - No
* Robert Pattinson (Actor) - Yes
* Bella Swan (book) - Yes
* Kristen Stewart (actor) - No

Bella in the book is described as:
* Clumsy
* Bad reflexes (hates sports)
* Doesn't relate well to humans, had little friends (no BF's) before moving to Forks
* No fashion sense
* Couple of characters through the books had said because of these things, 'It's as if she was born to be a vampire'.

Entering SPOILER WARNING for Mage... so I don't suck to anyone else. :nerdy:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Vamp venum cures autism as Bella didn't have any of these issues at the end of book four. However extremely painful it's nice to know there is a cure. :wink:

Robert Pattenson to quote several interviews & or comment:
* He's excessively shy and uncomfortable even after months of being in the spotlight. On the Ellen show his body language was all about blocking the audience. I wanted to hug him.
* "I went to Portland for two months before we starting shooting, and I just didn't talk to anybody for ages during the beginning of the shoot. I never went out, but I kind of broke down half way through. I was like, 'Okay, people are starting to think that I'm actually out of my mind now.'"
* He's not observant & self-claimed as accident prone.
* "I'm really afraid of getting hit by cars, like terrified of it. I'm terrified of crossing streets. I'm also very accident-prone..."
* Obsessively eats certain foods.
* "I was just taking out my trash and I had, like, 300 cans of Diet Coke. It was just like, 'How did that happen?' I don't even remember buying them. I also like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. My addictions are pretty much the only things I consume."
* He also doesn't make that many facial expressions (aside from embarrassed smiling). He did this a lot in HP too. That is fine for men as for posing all they have to do is 'look' tough ('mean' autism focused expression) so it's easily hidden when in comparison to females who have to look soft.

I could go on and on... and gladly would but I know I have autism and am running on, so I will stop myself. :wink: :D These are just my thoughts from what I've observed. I could very well be wrong... though I hope I'm not. I've always liked Robert the way he is. 8)

Last edited by Wrackspurt on 04 Dec 2008, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 7:43 am

Ah_Q wrote:
No way. Besides he's a fictional character, he's however his creater makes him. Unless the author specifically states that a character is autisitic, there's no reason to speculate on said character's neurological status.

Quote:

Like this?

Count Orlock is kind of odd since in the time when Vampires were all about the hansomly mustached Dracula and they instead decided to go for the classic ugly rat like creature keeping to a deffinition of a name of vampire from the novel Dracula being Nosferatu infact meaning bringer of plaque. Though it is true that a lot of Vampires have been romantisized, just look at Angel from Buffy. About the last non romantisised vampires were the ones 21 days of night, but it seems that some people conect vampires to sexual fantisies these days. I havent read or seen Twilight, but I have a big interest in vampires, so I will probably see it later, not realy interested in seeing something just as it is popular.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 4:23 pm

Quote:
On the spectrum?:
* Clumsy
* Doesn't relate well to humans, had little friends (no BF's) before moving to Forks
* No fashion sense

I thought about this, but she seems to socialize just fine. Everybody seems to like her, her clumsiness is seen more just a cute quirk. And I didn't really get any sense that she dressed badly, in fact her friends really wanter her opinion on their dresses for the dance.
So I have to say no. A lot of people suck at sports.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 8:19 pm

zghost wrote:
Quote:
On the spectrum?:
* Clumsy
* No fashion sense

I thought about this, but she seems to socialize just fine. Everybody seems to like her, her clumsiness is seen more just a cute quirk. And I didn't really get any sense that she dressed badly, in fact her friends really wanter her opinion on their dresses for the dance.
So I have to say no. A lot of people suck at sports.

She didn't look particularly autistic in the movie, you are right. I was going off the books. Did you read them? Meyer described Bella's social life before Forks as weak, no BF's before, at age 17 too. She had a lot of friends when she came to forks as she is the new girl - that gets attention. Alice (in the books) is always onto her that she dresses with poor taste. The dresses for the dance have another ulterior motive in the book, she only went along on that to get out of Forks for other reasons. The abuse her high school mates get in gym (in the books) they could argue how bad she is too, especially poor Mike. lol You're right about the sports, I have autism and I've always been very good at sports so that isn't the only shining example. That's why I like the books best. The movie was awesome, don't get me wrong, but the books give all the beloved details.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 8:55 pm

So far I've only read the first book, and haven't seen the movie.
I got the impression that her previous lack of social life was due to being shy, not being the cheerleader type, and from having to take care of her childish mother.
As for Alice, I think it's more that she thinks she dresses poor, not so much about the style. Alice likes high end expensive stuff.

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2008, 9:13 pm

Honestly I prefer, Interview with a Vampire, this is by far my favorite movie about vampires.

Think, if you were a vampire would it be better to be ugly where your prey wouldn't come near you or would it be better for you to be extremely attractive to the general population with the ability to blend in well and avoid attention while getting everything you need? Choose whichever seems logical instead of choosing whichever goes best with mainstream horror genres

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:01 am

Teoka wrote:
Ugh, if Edward has Asperger's, I will gladly walk off of the nearest bridge. The last thing we need is an abusive "vampire" being one of us.

As far as I can gather, he is not abusive but rather more restrained than most human boyfriends, genuinely struggling with his burning urge to drain the blood from Bella while making ardent love to her; he is reluctant to consumate precisely because of this fear, as the intensity will be to much to maintain his usual psychological restraints; his family are reformed vampires who have opted to subsist on the blood of non-human animals in order to coexist with humanity.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 9:57 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
The hell is this Twilight movie I keep hearing about? The only things I know about it are what came from the latest South Park episode, but I keep hearing the name dropped alot...

it is like the next pre-teen obsession. Since Harry Potter is over. its a book about vampires and chastity or something. I tried to read Harry Potter and made it 1/2 of the way through the first book before I got fed up and switched Crichton or Simmons. poor writing.

I avoid really popular books since they are popular often because they appeal to the mass population of which I have little in common. And it is the only thing I will not fake to be normal. I don't care if I get made fun of for reading books on theoretical physics.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:39 am

removing post

Last edited by Mage on 04 Dec 2008, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 2:54 am

Mage wrote:
Wrackspurt wrote:
Vamp venum cures autism as Bella didn't have any of these issues at the end of book four. However extremely painful it's nice to know there is a cure. :wink:

You suck.

/throws out rest of the series.

Actually I hardly ever put anything in my mouth. :wink: Don't blame me. Why would you read Twilight threads (especially detailed posts) if you haven't read all the books?? I avoided them until finished. It was painful but I did it. I didn't write 'spoiler' (thought I had, usually do) and for that I apologize. I fixed the post.....

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 5:06 am

Wrackspurt wrote:
* Clumsy
* No fashion sense
* Couple of characters through the books had said because of these things, 'It's as if she was born to be a vampire'.

Bella isn't an Aspie, it was just Myer's way of making girls feel as though it doesn't matter how much you suck, you can always get a stalker, creepy, perverted guy to stalk you :wink: