Season 5 of the Deadliest Catch Premiere Tonight at 9pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 6:08 am

I'm so excited for the new season of the show because I love it so much. It shows the reality that Alaskan crab fishing is the toughest and deadliest job in the world. I am amaze what those me and even women do out there on the Bering Sea for a living.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2009, 7:40 am

I was never interested in this show when it started, but accidentally watched an episode and got hooked. Crab is one of my favorite foods, I love Alaska, and I find unconventional jobs interesting, so I guess it is no surprise that I like it. Every time I eat a crab, I wonder if Edgar Hansen pushed it down the chute...Happy New Season Day!

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2009, 2:24 pm

I don't like many reality tv shows but "DC" got me hooked. It's sad not to see Captain Phil Harris fishing out on the Bering sea, now that he's getting more treatment for his blood clot.

sevysgrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2009, 3:26 pm

Love this show! I too was sad that Phil couldnt go fishing:( Maybe he will be able to go crabbin during opilio season.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2009, 8:40 am

sevysgrl wrote:
Love this show! I too was sad that Phil couldnt go fishing:( Maybe he will be able to go crabbin during opilio season.

That's what I was thinking, too.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 9:03 pm

I got into it the first season. But every season its the same thing. "we go out and fish for crabs, see how dangerous it is." How many times can they basically show the same thing? Guys trying to hang on while on deck during a storm, ect.. Plus the fact they show these guys smoking all the time is not a good image to see on TV.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2009, 6:10 am

It is indeed quite repetitive, but it's good rainy day viewing. :) The men are generally not what you'd call dull.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2009, 8:36 am

You got a good point there with the smoking.

Werand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2009, 4:42 pm

I watched it once.

It had the Gary Yost prick from my school on it once. Damn him and his 15 minutes of fame.

hiker7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2009, 2:45 pm

Often I see them bragging on Deadliest Catch about their new infant sons, hoping they would continue on the crabbing business. What would be a hoot is if the kid grows up and the following are noted:

Age 6: He appears smarter than most kids, but somewhat withdrawn, and maybe slightly lazy, otherwise unremarkable.
Age 14: He now realizes what crabbing entails, says he is not interested, won't have kids, wants to be a scientist when he grows up. Is a little clumsy and geeky, but gets A's in school. Has strong and narrow interests/hobbies. One of his eccentricities however is knowing the name of every crab boat and captain for the last 50 years though.
Age 19: He goes to college in the Pacific NW with a combination of scholarships and student loans.
Age 24: Graduates with a Masters and 3.9GPA, gets a 120K (in today's dollars) job at Microsoft.
Age 28: He is warm, dry, and happy in his swanky bachelor pad, while his brothers and father are freezing on the edge in the Bering sea.