The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 548 of 1007 [ 16106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551 ... 1007  Next

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 11:51 pm

duncansbass wrote:
SleepyDragon, here in the *ahem*...dammit, lost my train of thought, don't think this is the anything paradise of Phoenix AZ our white boys with dreads are trying to have street cred and rap. Or, they're skaters. Does that qualify as urban surfing?

Nan, come to think of it, I think I remember hearing that you live in my general area of the world, so, yeah, you do know. We just may get less rain.

You get an average yearly of about 7 inches of rain. We get just under 10. We just have a better beach. :wink:

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

22 Jan 2008, 12:03 am

I'd sure like to know where all that rain goes, 'cause I swear we don't see 7 inches. 10? Wow. I'd Kill for 10" of rain! AND a beach!

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 12:11 am

duncansbass wrote:
I'd sure like to know where all that rain goes, 'cause I swear we don't see 7 inches. 10? Wow. I'd Kill for 10" of rain! AND a beach!

no, you just think you would. :wink: the beach is heavily infested [as in there's someone with a beer cooler, obnoxious boom-box, and blanket about every 10 feet] with tourists and drunks for the half of the year that the water goes over 68F. there's no parking available over there after 10am on "good" beach days. during the other part of the year there's a nasty tendency for the sewage from TJ to wash up the coast....

rain. well, it's bizarre. that's the average. but for the last five or six years we've been lucky to get more than a couple of inches each year. this year we had a day where some areas got 8 inches of rain in 24 hours. right over a burn zone.

i've been through phoenix in the summer when you've had a good gullywasher. there had to have been 2 or 3 inches that night alone, nevermind when your monsoon season sets in. but things are terribly out-of-whack, weather-wise, in the southwest in the last decade. places that should be very dry are getting a ton of rain and are all greened up, and places that usually get a steady rain in the the winter have not gotten it for many years.

i'd blame it on gobal warming, like people are saying is causing the ice caps to melt, but they've just found that there's a relatively active volcano under one ice-cap....

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jan 2008, 12:25 am

Didn't know that about the sub-ice cap volcano. Did know that, chapter and verse, about the out of whack weather. When I was a kid we used to have monsoon storms that would send you scurrying for cover. Now, we are almost guaranteed to go the whole monsoon season without more than 7 raindrops. Clouds are there, humidity raises to go hand in hand with yet another day topping 115, but the rain evaporates before it hits our precious jewel of a city (Duncan hopes the sarcasm in this last comment didn't sour Nan's milk).

I've been to the beaches in SD. Had a blast, as it was my landlocked a**es first time seeing the ocean, but the tourists did irritate me. Drunks we have our fill of. Sun baked drunks, even. Nothing near as good as sun dried tomatoes.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 12:29 am

actually, there's usually only a couple of weeks when the water goes over 68F. if you want nice, uncrowded water, and can take the risk of dealing with the federales or the bandits, the gulf down in baja is beautiful, i'm told. in the winter the whales come in to calve. and you can find beaches with nobody on 'em.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jan 2008, 1:35 am

that does sound beautiful, whales and all. I'd love to see a whale in person.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 9:24 am

Lupine wrote:
Chuck wrote:
8O I have discovered that my library is the receiving station from black holes all over the universe. If you are missing any socks, homework, car keys, persons - I guarantee they are in this room. Somewhere. :eew:

I am missing one very large, fuzzy, pinkish-brown spider, Chuck dear. If it shows up in your room, could you toss it back through the wormhole, please?

Looks at shoe. 8O OHOH

to save me from ruin

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 9:31 am

Lupine wrote:
TARANTULA UPDATE:

A couple of months ago, Rosie molted - and it turned out that she was a he (sort of like that Lou Reed song). Man-tarantulas have short lifespans, and most of that span is spent looking for lady tarantulas. (Testosterone: a blessing... and a curse.)

Not wanting Rosie (now yclept Rosario) to die a virgin, I proceeded to purchase two new tarantulas. Since it is nigh-on impossible to determine spider gender without microscopic examination of the molted exoskeleton, this was an exercise in probability (POP QUIZ: If Lupine has discerned that her tarantula is a male, what is the probability that one of the two tarantulas of indeterminate gender that she purchased on the Internet is female?) After allowing Pinky and Bunny time to adapt to their new habitat, I opened Rosario's enclosure to allow him to check out the maybe-ladies. I figured that, well, I can't tell the difference, but surely the man-tarantula can!

Unfortunately, I was distracted (still am I suppose, but that's a different story) and lost track of Rosario. Haven't seen him since. Logically, I concluded that he fell into a wormhole and is now seeking lady spiders in Chuck's library.

Or maybe the pitbull ate him.

So THAT's how he got here! A wormhole. Looking up to see if Pinky and Bunny fall through.

to save me from ruin

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:51 am

duncansbass wrote:
By a rival Pinball Wizard, I'm sure. Good thing he didn't hop through the library wormhole, or there's no telling WHERE he would have ended up!

So that's who this strange man is who fell through the wormhole with the spider. Hmmmm I'm going to have to close that thing.

to save me from ruin

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:53 am

Chuck wrote:
Lupine wrote:
TARANTULA UPDATE:

A couple of months ago, Rosie molted - and it turned out that she was a he (sort of like that Lou Reed song). Man-tarantulas have short lifespans, and most of that span is spent looking for lady tarantulas. (Testosterone: a blessing... and a curse.)

Not wanting Rosie (now yclept Rosario) to die a virgin, I proceeded to purchase two new tarantulas. Since it is nigh-on impossible to determine spider gender without microscopic examination of the molted exoskeleton, this was an exercise in probability (POP QUIZ: If Lupine has discerned that her tarantula is a male, what is the probability that one of the two tarantulas of indeterminate gender that she purchased on the Internet is female?) After allowing Pinky and Bunny time to adapt to their new habitat, I opened Rosario's enclosure to allow him to check out the maybe-ladies. I figured that, well, I can't tell the difference, but surely the man-tarantula can!

Unfortunately, I was distracted (still am I suppose, but that's a different story) and lost track of Rosario. Haven't seen him since. Logically, I concluded that he fell into a wormhole and is now seeking lady spiders in Chuck's library.

Or maybe the pitbull ate him.

Yep. Sounds like the testosterone curse:

First step from bondage
oblivious to all
save the lady held in eight loving eyes
a pitbull snack.
8O

A tragic tale. :cry: Perhaps ballad material for duncansbass?

You guys just aren't good at multi-tasking. A tragic fate!

to save me from ruin

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:58 am

Chuck wrote:
blessedmom wrote:
... 8O With the windchill it's -31F here this morning!!

That's the coldest weather temperature I have ever felt. One night at work I heard over the radio that it was -31F outside. I took off my shirt and walked outside to see if I could tell the difference by sensation between -31F and 0F. Couldn't tell really. I guess after a certain point, cold just feels cold. It did make my skin feel hot and prickly actually. The wind wasn't blowing though - the air was absolutely still. I stood out in it for about 5 minutes, then realized my eyes felt like they were starting to freeze, so I went back in. Then my skin felt like it was on fire!

Have you ever put your hands in water after being outside in the cold for several hours? Wow, does that ever hurt! :lol:
quote]

I didn't, but my dad did after I insisted on staying outside and sledding for hours with snow in my mittens. I screamed bloody murder when he put them under water to warm them up slowly. The top of the right hand still burns and tingles when it gets under 75 F. No matter what I do, it won't stop that nerve pain until it warms back up. That's what I get for thinking if my brothers weren't going inside neither was I! Of course, I was all of four years old so I probably wasn't making the most sound decisions!

to save me from ruin

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 10:59 am

Chuck wrote:
:wink: (you know I'm just kidding! You are young enough to be my great grand daughter (if you go by how old I look, and how young you look). 8O

Don't listen to him, Lemon. You will always be younger than me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! !! ! May you get a present for every year you've been alive.

to save me from ruin

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 11:03 am

...well, it's back to the salt mines for another week...
...I am the man of constant sorrow... :wink: :lol:
...time for this hillbilly to sign out...
...will catch all of you in a week (sooner if I can't sleep)... :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Rg4vgrW4k[/youtube]

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 11:04 am

Good morning, Zanne.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnRsaHXHznQ[/youtube]

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 11:04 am

Hi, Chuck! I didn't see you there!

Have a great work week! :D

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 11:07 am

If you can't sleep, this looks like an interesting site for those of us with ADHD issues.

Sharp Brains.com