How did you come up with your username?

Page 7 of 19 [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 2:06 pm

Mine is a pseudonym I used starting in 6th grade when I began submitting things to the student newspaper.

I chose Dex because it comes from the latin dexter, which means skilled, which is the root word for dexterous, which means "having mental skill or adroitness." Kaden is my own derivative of "cadence" because when I write, all the problems I have with verbal communication seem to melt away and my mind has an uninterrupted flow to my fingertips. When I write, I develop a rhythm.

I also read somewhere that Kaden was a surname that meant "figher," although I can't remember where...maybe I imagined it.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 2:12 pm

Quote:
maybe I imagined it.

lol

its a good name

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 2:17 pm

Assassin wrote:
Quote:
maybe I imagined it.

lol

its a good name

Thank you! I like it myself. :D

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 3:30 pm

I got given the nickname Fiz at uni and its just kinda stuck with my friends. Hence I just used that.

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2006, 4:12 pm

Ming: Klytus, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?
Klytus: An obscure body in the S-K system, your Majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the planet ... "Earth."
Ming: How peaceful it looks.
(He activates a console, and watches as earthquakes and floods occur. They both laugh.)
Klytus: Most effective, your Majesty. Will you destroy this, uh, "Earth?"
Ming: Later. I like to play with things a while. Before annihilation....

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 4:45 pm

lol

I wondered where Dave Zephir got his evilness from ^_^

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

SirCamehan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2006, 7:36 pm

My username was made a couple of years ago, when I needed to have a nickname for a game of Quake 3 on a LAN. In my name, I tried to give the impression of a strange & wierd knight. And the name stuck for all the website forums I visit.

GSDwolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2006, 8:12 pm

My username is GSDwolf, from the GSD, or German shepherd dog, the breed which I own, and wolf because I love wolves.

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 9:10 pm

Since I was asked this twice on chat, I'll post it here. I first read the name "Ozymandias" in a British Sci-Fi trilogy by John Christopher back in the 60's-early seventies. The main character was a resistance organizer pretending to be "mad', looking for young recruits against the Alien Overlords of Earth. When the young people reached a certain age, the Aliens attached mind control devices or "caps" in a "capping" ceremony. So Ozymandias would look for those who didn't fit in or were uncomfortable with being "capped". He would find them and send them to a secret place where they could plan ways to get the Earth free.

Anyway, he would wander around pretending to be mad and spout odd lines from the poem "Ozymandias" by Percy Brysse Shelley. I should also add that the "capping" didn't always work and those that were affected badly did go mad. They weren't violent, but, were mostly peaceful and just wandered around acting strange. I never read the poem until a few years ago.

Anywho, my user name has no origin in "The Watchmen Comics" or a minor character in the "X-men" comics. If I left anything out, please ask me.

Peace

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 10:36 pm

ozymandias wrote:
Since I was asked this twice on chat, I'll post it here. I first read the name "Ozymandias" in a British Sci-Fi trilogy by John Christopher back in the 60's-early seventies. The main character was a resistance organizer pretending to be "mad', looking for young recruits against the Alien Overlords of Earth. When the young people reached a certain age, the Aliens attached mind control devices or "caps" in a "capping" ceremony. So Ozymandias would look for those who didn't fit in or were uncomfortable with being "capped". He would find them and send them to a secret place where they could plan ways to get the Earth free.

Anyway, he would wander around pretending to be mad and spout odd lines from the poem "Ozymandias" by Percy Brysse Shelley. I should also add that the "capping" didn't always work and those that were affected badly did go mad. They weren't violent, but, were mostly peaceful and just wandered around acting strange. I never read the poem until a few years ago.

Anywho, my user name has no origin in "The Watchmen Comics" or a minor character in the "X-men" comics. If I left anything out, please ask me.

Peace

And here I thought it was from one of my favorite poems, Ozymandius.

Ozymandius
by: Percy Bysshe Shelley

I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert... Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
My name is Ozymandius, King of Kings,
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 11:23 pm

dexkaden wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

Peace

And here I thought it was from one of my favorite poems, Ozymandius.

Ozymandius
by: Percy Bysshe Shelley

I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert... Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
My name is Ozymandius, King of Kings,
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

As a secondary affect yes, it came from the poem. Without the poem, a big chunk of plotline wouldn't have existed. When I finally read the poem in it's entirety several years ago, I realized why the name and lines struck a chord in me. The futility of arrogance/vanity and how transient everything is.

As a secondary story, I was building a "micro-Stonehenge" on my lawn. (Landscaping is an obsession with me.) After days of hauling boulders around, as I looked over the finished job, the words, "Look on my works, Ye mighty, and despair!" came into my mind and I just stood there silently chuckling over my personal in joke. From that day, ozymandias, as a user name has come as easily as my real name to my lips. 8)

Peace

LowShoe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2006, 10:40 am

Obsessions, obsessions...

It's a bastardized spelling of a 5,000+ year old Chinese mathematical / philosophical construction. Has to do with the idea of implicit order underlying apparent chaos. A bit of a cognitive stim, really.

Teaorcoffee
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2006, 12:58 pm

Named after one of the most important questions in the whole world.

Benjammin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2006, 7:25 pm

Cuz I like Jammin' when I can

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 1:17 am

Benjammin wrote:
Cuz I like Jammin' when I can

Thanks, now I have Bob Marley stuck in my head :D

(Which isn't such a bad thing, I suppose)

Auron_of_Kusari
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2006, 5:53 pm

Auron is my fav char off of Final Fantasy X. As for Kusari, it is the name of a space nation (an area of space conisting of planets, stations, and space lanes owned by an entire nation) in the space fighter game Freelancer. Kusarians are the ancestors of a thousand Japanese space colonists that came to the Siria Sector on the Japanese sleeper ship Kusari. Since Freelancer and Japan are both on my obsession list (along with FFX), i chose my name. I am no longer Archmage. [007] The name's Kusari. Auron Kusari. [/007]

Proud member of the Guardians of Spira

All your base are belong to us

I am Auron, and i approve this message.