Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 10:50 am

What are your friends like generally? My friends for example are almost all NT (I have about 15 friends about ten or more are female) also, they tend to either, do some form of drugs, have an alternate sexuality or be depressed sometimes a combination of all three or just a few of those and only a small percentage of those are what you could call a "Normal" NT (Three or four) most are younger than me though some are a fair bit older, again a small percentage are my age.

Hmm just curious... :?

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2006, 11:38 am

My friends are mostly science fiction fans, members of the local pagan community, and filkers (people into science fiction music. Think "Wierd Al Yankovich" and his Star Wars song to the tune of "American Pie". Also online friends, mostly from various science fiction (literary) fandoms. Not even going to guess where they are on the spectrum, or not. Closest distance-friend is NT, but fannish and given to synesthesia.

Not a mundane among them, not because of snobbishness, but because mundanes and I do NOT understand each other except on the most superficial (i.e. workmarte) level.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 1:23 pm

I only have a couple of people I would reall call friends (though I hate that word itself and use 'people I like to be around' usually) - both are not streight (in terms of sexuality - I think that I get along with people who are of alternate orientions becuase I'm asexual and totally not concerned about who is handsome or whatever) - both are older than me . . . one has severe ADD . . .
That seems to be a trend in my life - I attract people with ADD and bi-polar (which leads me to support the theory that both disorders are on the autism spectrum) - I also attract Wiccans and Mormons for some reason . . . who knows why - but I do know two people right now who are Wiccan and ADD and Mormon and ADD . . . really strange

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 6:35 pm

All my friends are very different from one another. I reckon I have about 40 friends altogether and 3 of them have AS. I have met them online through WP but have yet to meet them in person.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 9:27 pm

TheGreyBadger wrote:
My friends are mostly science fiction fans, members of the local pagan community, and filkers (people into science fiction music. Think "Wierd Al Yankovich" and his Star Wars song to the tune of "American Pie". Also online friends, mostly from various science fiction (literary) fandoms. Not even going to guess where they are on the spectrum, or not. Closest distance-friend is NT, but fannish and given to synesthesia.

Not a mundane among them, not because of snobbishness, but because mundanes and I do NOT understand each other except on the most superficial (i.e. workmarte) level.

I've got three wiccan friends, the friends I know in person are all into sci-fi so we talk computer games and stuff like that, but only one of those has AS.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 9:32 pm

animallover wrote:
I only have a couple of people I would reall call friends (though I hate that word itself and use 'people I like to be around' usually) - both are not streight (in terms of sexuality - I think that I get along with people who are of alternate orientions becuase I'm asexual and totally not concerned about who is handsome or whatever) - both are older than me . . . one has severe ADD . . .
That seems to be a trend in my life - I attract people with ADD and bi-polar (which leads me to support the theory that both disorders are on the autism spectrum) - I also attract Wiccans and Mormons for some reason . . . who knows why - but I do know two people right now who are Wiccan and ADD and Mormon and ADD . . . really strange

Alot of people on here seem to think that because you're different you have some connection to AS or Autism, I can understand Wiccans being attracted to you as people that don't judge aren't all that common so they tend to really value those that don't, they tend to be a target for just about anyone, even if that person isn't a Christian. I don't understand Mormons wanting to be around you though, that is really weird.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 9:37 pm

Fiz wrote:
All my friends are very different from one another. I reckon I have about 40 friends altogether and 3 of them have AS. I have met them online through WP but have yet to meet them in person.

I've met alot of my friends through other friends so far, haven't met any of those in person though, but they tend to really like talking to me, especially the women. :|

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 1:27 pm

This blows my NT friend's minds - but I know several people online that have AS that don't live a whole long way from me - maybe 300 miles - and we have agreed that it would mess our relationship up to meet each other . . . one NT in particular is just blown away by this concept . . .

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 2:05 am

animallover wrote:
This blows my NT friend's minds - but I know several people online that have AS that don't live a whole long way from me - maybe 300 miles - and we have agreed that it would mess our relationship up to meet each other . . . one NT in particular is just blown away by this concept . . .

:lol:

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 6:24 am

Well, I've pretty much lost all contact with most of my friends. They ran a bit of a range, but with some it was questionable if they where 'friends' or not.

My close friends though where pretty much all geeks. Some of them being the 'Cool' but not neccesarily 'Popular' type. Some of them where real trouble makers.

Come to think of it, in our own way most of us where rebels.

One guy I knew, and I wish I could actually talk to now and again was pretty smart but didn't believe it. Got me sad. Also sad is that apparantly I was supposed to be a good role model.

And here I am rotting away accomplishing nothing.

That being said, I do keep in touch a little with one of my friends. And by the sounds of things, he seems to be the most emotionally stable one and in the best position. Finishing up his Philosophy PhD, seems to have a good relationship with what sounds to be a great girlfriend. (I'm jealous, in the good way).

We had some talks about coming up with a game, but some of the stuff is way too abstract and contradicts each other. And there's the whole not enough contact thing. (It was a really great idea. The main premise of the game was that how your people viewed the world would change the game experience. The formation of belief systems would not be something you could control completely. I'm thinking of maybe just running off with this on my own.)

Hopefullly he'll end up moving back Vancouver and I could actually maintain some kind of regular contact.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 6:31 am

Xuincherguixe wrote:
Well, I've pretty much lost all contact with most of my friends. They ran a bit of a range, but with some it was questionable if they where 'friends' or not.

My close friends though where pretty much all geeks. Some of them being the 'Cool' but not neccesarily 'Popular' type. Some of them where real trouble makers.

Come to think of it, in our own way most of us where rebels.

One guy I knew, and I wish I could actually talk to now and again was pretty smart but didn't believe it. Got me sad. Also sad is that apparantly I was supposed to be a good role model.

And here I am rotting away accomplishing nothing.

That being said, I do keep in touch a little with one of my friends. And by the sounds of things, he seems to be the most emotionally stable one and in the best position. Finishing up his Philosophy PhD, seems to have a good relationship with what sounds to be a great girlfriend. (I'm jealous, in the good way).

We had some talks about coming up with a game, but some of the stuff is way too abstract and contradicts each other. And there's the whole not enough contact thing. (It was a really great idea. The main premise of the game was that how your people viewed the world would change the game experience. The formation of belief systems would not be something you could control completely. I'm thinking of maybe just running off with this on my own.)

Hopefullly he'll end up moving back Vancouver and I could actually maintain some kind of regular contact.

Nothing wrong with not accomplishing anything. :twisted:

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2006, 11:58 am

OK...my closest friend is a very nice, thoroughly accepting girl. My other friends are a gay boy, a geeky boy, a couple of geeky girls and a couple of cool girls who are potheads. I guess those are the types of people aspies tend to get along with.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 2:45 pm

i have two close friends. both boys. one with aspergers one with HFA.

i have a few more distant friends but i am closest to the first two.

hidoko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2006, 1:45 am

I always seem to end up being "friends" with the strangest, most unexpected people. :)

There's always a mentor/student sort of relationship in the friendship. I am always the eager student trying to learn. It doesn't mean I end up friends with ALL my mentors, just one or two of them. I'm kind fo elitist in this aspect! :)

hidoko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2006, 1:48 am

Xuincherguixe wrote:

Awwwwwwww, yeah. :(

I hate this kind of thing myself.

Kaiyah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2006, 7:45 pm

All my friends are N.T's....they are all extremely gentle and compassionate in nature and for the most part are relatively spiritual. All of my friends are non conformists and have very strong and sure personalities. My friends are people who i can talk to anything about but also who i can just talk absolute crap with as well and be a complete goof!!
I am very selective though with who i am friends with and cannot have casual half arsed relationships. All my friends are the best of friends i could ever ask for. I couldnt have a better support network. :)

Kaiyah...