Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

nrc1940
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Mar 2010, 10:45 pm

I've suspected I have Asperger's for a couple of years, but just ran across an Apsie-quiz the indicates I do. Strange, but some of the symptoms become more accentuated as I get older.

Here I am, way into my life and finally have a hint why I always feel, just a half-step out of sync with everyone else.

Most people aren't at all tolerant of the symptoms. Creates a challenge. Noisy, crowded situation are extremely stressful for me and my husband gets his feelings hurt when I refuse to go. Also, I can't focus on a conversation when other noise is going on around me. My husband thinks that's weird.

Makes me sad.

Last edited by nrc1940 on 25 Mar 2010, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 10:59 pm

nrc1940 wrote:
Here I am, way into my life and finally have a hint why I always feel, just a half-step out of sync with everyone else.

I am not so sure we are the ones out-of-sync, and WrongPlanet is a great place for just being ourselves!

Welcome home.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm

nrc1940 wrote:
my husband gets his feelings hurt when I refuse to go. Also, I can't focus on a conversation when other noise is going on around me. My husband thinks that's weird.

but you have a mate, that counts for a lot [a big plus]. from the perspective of this aspie, you are doing relatively well.

crownarmourer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Mar 2010, 1:08 am

Noisy, crowded situation are extremely stressful for me and my husband gets his feelings hurt when I refuse to go. Also, I can't focus on a conversation when other noise is going on around me.
Don't feel alone I get the same however sometimes I force myself to get out of my box although still stressful I consider it a success my wife is more social so I do it for her. As for sound I'm the same.

crownarmourer

25 Mar 2010, 1:15 am

auntblabby...As for mates you need to use a dating website and try the written word to get to know someone that way first take your time. I tend to do better with women that that way or whatever your choice is. It gets your foot in the door so to speak.
I'm an older generation aspie where it did not exist so I was forced to socialize and have friends where I was considered just shy.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 1:31 am

hi

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 1:50 am

Hello nrc1940, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 2:38 am

Welcome to the Wrong Planet forums, fellow-traveler nrc1940.

nrc1940
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2010, 9:43 am

leejosepho wrote:
nrc1940 wrote:

I am not so sure we are the ones out-of-sync, and WrongPlanet is a great place for just being ourselves!

Welcome home.

Thanks leejosepho.

nrc1940
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2010, 9:48 am

auntblabby wrote:
nrc1940 wrote:
my husband gets his feelings hurt when I refuse to go. Also, I can't focus on a conversation when other noise is going on around me. My husband thinks that's weird.

but you have a mate, that counts for a lot [a big plus]. from the perspective of this aspie, you are doing relatively well.

Thank you auntblabby. I'm high-functioning in a lot of areas and it is a plus to have a mate. He is so social that it forces me out of my box, but it takes a lot out of me to try to meet his expectations and I need a lot of down time to recover.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Mar 2010, 3:03 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Rh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2010, 3:14 pm

"Creates a challenge. Noisy, crowded situation are extremely stressful for me and my husband gets his feelings hurt when I refuse to go."

Best of luck. And make sure you let your husband know to make sure he knows it is not him.

I had similar issues when I was married. That's why I WAS married.