Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Christianmusiclover
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2010, 12:59 pm

Everyday, I talk to myself and I don't know why. I think it's wierd. This is an example: [quote] "Adam, why were you doing that?" (Logging off of my computer) Sometimes, it's good because I can figure out problems.

At things that are not really funny, I laugh at. I don't know why. It's really irritating. For example, when somebody gets hurt or something that's serious.

What do you guys think? Do you have these same problems?

Zolikan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2010, 1:40 pm

I don't actually speak to myself, but I am always asking myself a lot of concrete questions by just thinking. Other than that it contributes to making me more reticent, I don't know how normal it is.

As for laughing, I never laugh when I shouldn't. It can happen that I laugh when I'm sad, though. I've heard a scientific explanation about why that's normal. It also seems normal to me that people laugh, for example when people get hurt. I don't laugh at it when it happens, but I can laugh at it afterwards if there was something clumsy or particulary funny with it.

:)

Blint
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 1:46 pm

I speak to myself and ask questions about everything that happens around me etc, sometimes it's like a stress relieve for me and it's technically how I sort my situations out, I think everyone does it at times and I don't see how it's a autism thing?

Maybe it is, i duno?

couriergrrrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2010, 2:05 pm

I talk to my self all the time, most people do. What makes us different is that we do it out loud in public. You should see the looks I get when I argue with myself over what kind of cereal I should buy at the grocery store.

I understand the laughing at things that are in no way funny also. I laughed when a friend of mine was talking about her dog dying. I couldn't help it. I think maybe, for myself anyway, I tend to laugh in situations that make me uncomfortable.

delic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2010, 2:22 pm

I sometimes find myself lauging or smiling at inappropriate times because I analyse situations in real time so much, I think the pre written rule in my head "Don't laugh or appear amused in these situations" pops up alerts me & causes me to almost laugh & usually smile, not at the sad or unfortunate event etc but purely at my own mad brain workings and the fact I shouldn't be laughing or smiling at the time, if that makes sense. :)

Oops the main question, yeah I sometimes talk over important conversations I need to have with people in the future, especially for meetings with my doctor etc, that way I can manage to communicate much better & figure out everything I need to get across without forgetting about something when it comes to talking with whoever it may be. I don't do this when other people are around though.

Last edited by delic on 03 Nov 2010, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oddgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2010, 2:24 pm

I don't really think you're talking to yourself as much as you're thinking out loud, I do it and lots of NTs do it too. As to the laughing, maybe it's because you don't know how to respond in those situations, or maybe, unconsciously, you're happy that it didn't happen to you so you express this by laughing (or something else?).

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 3:39 pm

I like talking to myself, especially when I'm in the shower or when I'm falling asleep at night. I literally have conversations with myself using the voices of fictional characters whom I love. It's sort of like single player roleplaying. Sometimes I feel surprised and embarrassed by just how involved and passionate I become during these "roleplays", but I guess that means I'd make a good actress. :)

Sometimes I get the urge to laugh during serious times, such as when a child family member is being punished.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 4:46 pm

Although there's a conversation going 24/7 in my head, I usually manage to keep it non-verbal. I failed at that today, though. I was in the deli at lunchtime getting something to eat. (I eat the exact same thing for lunch everyday BTW.) As I was leaving, I blurted out, "I'm not even hungry." I didn't stick around long enough to see if anyone had heard me. It doesn't happen very often, so it's really a shock when it does...

And it was all for the want of a nail.

Melt_TheIce
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2010, 4:58 pm

I do it to help myself think, for example, if I'm doing something in Chemistry and I have to follow instructions I find it helpful to read the over to myself quietly. I talk to myself sometimes, but not often enough to begin to worry about it. Don't worry, you're not going mad :wink:
And as for the laughing at innapropriate situations, I do that a lot. When I am getting told off or people are shouting at me I have to fight not to laugh. There were a few situations when I was in cadets when a whole group of people-I was with them-were getting yelled at for something, probably not clearing up the litter, and I begin to giggle and snort a litle bit, but have to stop myself before it gets out of control, I used to try and sort it out by going into a serious situation in my head, sometimes this worked, sometimes it didn't...for some reason thinking of me breaking my leg would only make me laugh harder!

ImaginaryTime
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2010, 5:21 pm

I have been speaking to myself for as long as I can remember. Not out loud, but I always mouth the words as they form in my head. Almost as though I am speaking without allowing sound to escape. I often find myself narrating my life as though I am writing a story from the first-person perspective. Sometimes, I have "conversations" with myself as though I am speaking to another individual. It never occurred to me that this was "odd" or "a problem."

I have been known to laugh at inappropriate moments, usually because I am remembering something amusing that had previously happened and am unable to control my reaction to the memory. Alternatively, I may laugh or giggle when I am uncomfortable, awkward, or distressed.

I remember one particulary bad incident, which happened in the August of 2009. My older sister's beloved dog has recently passed away, and my family was holding a small memorial service for him. Part of our service involved reading short poems my sister had found on the internet. When it was my turn to read something, I began laughing hysterically. My family became very angry with me, demanding to know why I was laughing and telling me I was horribly disrespectful. I was quite humiliated, because they completey misunderstood the situation... :oops:

Edit: I once hypothesized that if I didn't talk to myself, I would have gone mad from loneliness long ago.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Nov 2010, 6:51 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

I often verbalize my thoughts aloud to keep to keep them organized and focused.

-friend-
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2010, 10:12 pm

I'm NT but I talk to myself all the time, either in my head or out loud. I just the other day I laughed when my friend was talking about people that first experienced fireworks and thought they were bombs. It was really sad and I felt really bad about laughing. I dont even know why I did. I feel like for a lot of people, laughing is just a way to make yourself feel less awkward. Sometimes it doesnt work though.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2010, 5:47 am

Hi Christianmusiclover, I also talk to myself in the third person, usually when I'm stressed or upset. I also tend to laugh at inappropriate things sometimes, as I find it's the best way I can deal with that particular situation... it's very much an unintentional thing though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 3:17 pm

A very special Welkome to WrongPlanet, with a K.

The WP Kink

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 3:23 pm

Christianmusiclover wrote:
Everyday, I talk to myself and I don't know why. I think it's wierd. This is an example: "Adam, why were you doing that?" (Logging off of my computer) Sometimes, it's good because I can figure out problems.

At things that are not really funny, I laugh at. I don't know why. It's really irritating. For example, when somebody gets hurt or something that's serious.

What do you guys think? Do you have these same problems?

Yep, I'm the same with the talking to myself thing. It helps me to think and stuff. I don't see it as a problem at all.

As for laughing at people getting hurt, I notice that most NTs do this, it isn't a weird thing at all. All humans are sadists, as I always say...